Travel Health insurance

Hi Chris, I’m not an expert on the UK side but don’t forget that I’m only referring to the administrative side of things. And only for what applies in France (which doesn’t mean the process is identical for other countries across the EU). The fact that the EHIC is not accepted to get a French VISA doesn’t mean you’re not covered in France with an EHIC.

Hope that provides more clarity?

Chris is a UK state pensioner! He is covered in France and the UK, so it is just a question of other countries!! His EHIC/GHIC is for other countries…

I think you might be confusing the fact that people moving to France used to use an EHIC until they got into the system?

Maybe :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
They shouldn’t have though :rofl: as if they have moved they are resident and it is only for holiday purposes up to 3 months! Of course they all got away with it - other than CDS reasons!

Ah! Tory! If you had been to the sort of schools that I [and I believe Vero] went to you will have heard, at Matins, every Sunday for years …

"We have left undone those things which we ought to have done; And we have done those things which we ought not to have done; And there is no health in us. And grant, O most merciful Father, for his sake; That we may hereafter live a godly, righteous, and sober life".

and, to rub it in

We have erred and strayed from thy ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the devices and desires of our own hearts.”

So,

“*Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour

Does keep going on about being sober … :thinking:

1 Like

If you have an S1 & live in the EU you still get a UK issued EHIC.

Slightly odd, I know, but that’s how it works.

Those of us stuck in the UK only get the GHIC (and that definitely has the Union Flag all over it).

That is cringing appearance to the card.

Whatever one’s feelings about ‘The United Kingdom’ the Union Flag is a wonderful piece of graphic design. On T-shirts of people who haven’t been in 5000 miles of the place and [mostly] single duvet covers, all over the world.

I know - most upsetting :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh talking of which, I thought of you the other day in Lidl as they had your €1,99 SA white wine back in! I hesitated but grabbed my usual Bergerac sec (also €1,99 and very nice indeed!) but will try it another day!

I already have the new CDS

Yes, they tried to fool me by replacing the rhino with an elephant but it’s just a redesign of the label. Wonderful stuff! Total glug-fest juice!

You’ll never go back
To Bergerac

So, as far as I see it, any person originating from the UK ( or anywhere else for that matter) who is resident in France and of working age, ( ie not of pensionable age) should have a CEAM card which is valid for basic healthcare both in the UK and EU countries.
No-one should be using an EHIC unless they are in possession of an S1.
GHIC’s are purely for UK residents whilst in France temporarily

1 Like

Well i have an S1, a carte de séjour and have lived in France for 23 yrs . However hard i try i cant get a Ehic .
I have been trying for over 2 yrs. I have telephoned every available number, emailed, and now on Messenger and face Book once a month repeating the necessary but never getting a card.
I cant apply on the internet site as it says they sent me a card already and refuses access.
In july i discovered they had an address which excluded the name of my village, their mistake not mine. I continue to contact them once a month get fobed off with various excuses . I have Never encountered such incompetence.
Apparantly i will soon be receiving a card. In January they saïd i will receive it’ in 10 days… I Travel regularly to Portugal and would realy like a card. I know if im sick in Portugal i Can phone the Magic NHS number and all should be well. However as i keep telling them if a person is rushed to hospital they might not have their little note Book with emergency NHS number , or be well enough to téléphone. Rant over
:blush:

1 Like

Is it the UK"s imcompetence you’re struggling with?

I was advised this year that the only way to get ‘their’ mistake fixed was to file an official complaint. Polite requests and mentioning facts and logic wasn’t working. Not me to complain -but after weeks and weeks and dependent deadlines looming I finally said the magic “I’d like to raise an official complaint”.

Suddenly a call back was promised in a matter of days, which took place and the required doc arrived exactly when they said it would.

Try the magic words?

1 Like

Also the threat to contact your local MP, that helps also.

Karen i think you are right make an official complaint.
Each month i contact them and feel i am making a complaint but its not at a high enough level. At the end of each complaint im promised a card will be sent out. Several of their methods of contact generate a standard form to fill in which in turn generates yet another standard reply.
I am a permanent resident in France who never goes to thé Uk but im backwards and forwards to Portugal as much as im allowed in thé current situation.
Maybe i should try a recorded delivery letter .

@Carl …wading through all this gave me a headache until I came across your post which seems to sum it up.
If you are in the French system as a worker or not in receipt of S1 then you need a CEAM. If an S1 holder, waive that and you should be OK in the UK, but belt and braces get an EHIC card from NHS Newcastle which is special one for S1 holders. (Call them?)
However we seem still seem to be on the books after two years of our local GP on the basis of C-19 and flu jab reminders, so if we had a problem we would just rock up there. (We still have an apartment there).
So not sure if it’s worth paying for private health cover.

The NHS would patch you up as best they could, but would not repatriate you back to France in a private ambulance with nurse on hand…

Where do I sign! :rofl:

1 Like

It works the other way around as well (or rather it doesn’t)

which is why I know the cost of getting an injured Brit with EHIC card only (no health/travel insurance) … back to UK…
£4000 was the cheapest ambulance price and the trip took 14 hours… :roll_eyes:

@Corona

Just a side note, Nationwide BS are ending their free travel insurance for account holders in December.