"Travellers" what are their rights?

Is that supposed to be funny…

:slight_smile:

Hi James, I am interested in when you were in Crays Hill, I know many people there and all of them and their friends have faced intimidation and threats from the IT’s and am most surprised that the people you spoke to did not have any issues. I agree that perhaps some of them are probably ok, but unfortunately the louder and more aggresive of DF are the ones that us ordinary locals come across in our everyday lives so they probably cloud our judgements… I am glad it went off as peacefully as it did, and they have moved off to Cambridge and some to the ‘legal’ side of DF albeit temporary. There is documented land registers of Roches’ Road Rathkeale that property and plots are owned by families from DF. Please Google Earth the address it is an eye opener. As I have said many many times Basildon has many more legal pitches than anywhere in the East of England and we have had no problems so it is not a mass judgement of travellers. I noticed in an earlier post that you would not google Rathkeale, think you are more blinkered than me…

That is a good question Richard, would you mind starting up a new discussion for it please?

Thanks Richard, I've deleted your post here so we don't double up on replies, sorry James you got in there too quickly for me! Do you want to move your reply over to the new thread?

Thanks

James

James, the "travelling" community in Cambridgeshire, which is closely connected to Dale farm, has had cases proved against it and £60,000 of money dug up from gthe site of people who declared themselves as unemployed, plus a very large amount of money taken from them as the profits of illegal activity.

The "travellers" at Dale Farm allowed rent-a-mob in, knowing full well that the so called "activists" would take the brunt of any confrontation with the police.

Some of them have already moved into a "traveller" site just outside Cambridge.

Oh James, of course its the activists and protestors but dont you think they were asked to come down to DF ?? As I have stated many times we have other Gypsy legal sites that do not cause any problems…and now they are agreeing to leave peacefully…why could they not have done that years ago??? They only like the law if it is on their side…That poor Councillor looks absolutley drained bet he hasnt slept for many a night and still he keeps his dignity. Nora Egan who was said to be in a coma because of back injuries from the Police batons, actually fell over and had a minor bruise and the Hospital sent her back home with crutches (which she’d asked for). One of the McCarth sisters said she was knocked to the ground and the police put a forearm across her neck whilst she was on the ground…Absolutely no evidence of this and the travellers had ‘legal observers’ all over the site who would gladly have filmed that!!! The Police acted admirably with restraint and so have the bailiffs…shame the IT’s couldn’t have done the same and obeyed the courts of the land.

Thank you Mark for pointing this out…after I have been insulted and called a bigot amongst other phrases I am glad you can see through them, unfortunately not everyone can!!

Its interesting how quiet this thread has got now that the evictions have started! Now that we can all be eye witnesses to events via the media we can all see what a complete con these travellers & protesters have pulled on the poor public. Phrases such as ethnic cleansing, persecution, human rights, etc, have been liberally used when nobody has been killed or forcibly deported. If you have been a traveller & are not one now then you cannot have been born to it. You choose your lifestyle & if you are a real traveller you are that for life, or you can hop from one belief to another to suit your situation, much like the protesters at Dale Farm.

The talk from the travellers is that they wish to leave with dignity & the police have not allowed that. Should have left on Tuesday, then, or not allowed protesters to throw missiles at the police, or pour a yellow liquid over them. I think the police have behaved with amazing restaint. They are not there to watch, they are there to enforce the law & if that involves suppressing agression, so be it!

The cost of this 10 year farce will be met by the tax payer, just because the travellers HAVE been treated fairly. These legal proceedings started years ago & rather than the travellers accept at the beginning that they were breaking the law & moving on, they appealed (no doubt with legal aid, paid for by the taxpayer) again & again & it was allowed!

The travellers behaviour was wrong from the very start as it would have been if I had moved in to Dale Farm. For that there is NO excuse!

Mark, that is just the tip of the iceberg with these people, as I have said all along they seem to think they are above the laws of the land. I just hope there is no injuries to Police or Bailiffs who are doing their jobs. These Irish Travellers have been offered other sites and/or council houses but have refused for 10 years. Crays Hill will be a better place after today.

I think a reason for their reluctance to leave the site could be because they have buried money in the ground, they should send in Time Team with their geo-phys equipment to search it thoroughly afterwards! You have to wonder why you only see the women being used as spokespeople, is it that the men do not want to be seen on television and identified as coming from Dale Farm, what have the got to hide?

Why we keep on calling them travellers -they haven't been anywhere for ten years.

These people do not recognise our society and seem to think that gives them the right to behave as they like, it does not!

Rent-a-mob also seems keen to get involved, as you say, at every opportunity to have a go at the police.

This morning I have been watching the coverage of the Dale Farm eviction & am surprised that the whole thing has been hijacked by groups who seem to be anti establishment types who are equally at home throwing things at police at the G20 summit, university fees protest, anti nuclear protests, Palestinian rights or any other cause where the chance to hurt a copper may present itself! I heard a couple being interviewed & if they could drag in some of their other causes they did so. None offered to provide temporary accommodation to the soon to be homeless travellers, though - the travellers are keeping out of the way & letting the protesters get on with it! Now somebody please write in & tell me that these bleeding heart, trouble making, missile throwing protesters are "making a lifestyle choice", & are "helping" the travellers.

I'm still not sure why the travellers have not taken advantage of the chance to move to other sites considering the legal action started almost as soon as they arrived & is not a recent move, left until they became "part of the local community". It seem that with some groups it does not pay to exhaust every other avenue before going for the heavy mob.

So have you heard what the McCarthy sisters have said…they will use gas cannisters on the bailiffs and fight till the death, I fear the children will be used as shields as well…lovely peace loving people dont you agree!!!

The main reason that many UK householders in Spain are seeing their houses knocked down is corruption between the developers and the local councils who allowed buildings to be put up in restricted areas.

The owners were under the impression that they had valid planning permission.

Well I dispute this, the only reason the locals might have been loathe to say anything is because of reprisals....And if they are no problem why do you say a new bunch of people will have to deal with them???? Yes people say they should stay at Dale Farm because they dont want them in their area...

That must have all been very tough Jane xx

I reckon the worst however must be the Italians, first the Agricultural Ministry used satellite pictures to count the number of actual olive trees on each farm after calculating that the number claimed would actually cover a country twice the actual size of Italy, now the Municipalities have done the same and found a million houses that 'don't exist'- no planning permission, no local taxes.

Like food and fashion, the Italians have turned tax evasion into an art form - one can only gasp in awe.

Thank you Jane, That comment really upset me…

OK Tony, you are the only one who has lived with travellers, but they were not Dale Farm Travellers, I am not mean minded, and dont mind anyone who is respectful and law abiding, Basildon Council has more traveller pitches than most councils, and I think it shows what Dale Farm (illegal side)is really like when the legal side wants nothing to do with them and most of them have moved away until they (DF illegal side)have been evicted. As I have said before they have houses in Rathkeale, some have houses in Wolverhampton, they have built an illegal warehouse which sells via Ebay cheap 3 piece suites which dont conform to fire standard, until you have actually met these people and not just seen them on TV, until you have been intimidated by them, or watched as they stole an old ladys handbag from her in Sainsburys, or see themthreaten anybody who stood up to them, until then please have an open mind. 10 years this has been going on with appeal after appeal, they have been everywhere with appeals and actually if this eviction goes ahead I am worried that somebody will get seriously or fatally injured and it wont be an Irish Traveller!!!