Two bitches

Who here has two female dogs?

I have read it is not a good idea to have two female dogs. I have spotted a lovely collie cross Labrador in the local SPA who would seemingly make a great companion for my young lurcher when confinement ends…

Any thoughts ?

1 Like

How old is the Collie x Labrador female…???

In the past I’ve had two sister Border Collies from puppies and then later the successful introduction of a third female Border Collie puppy…

One of the sisters was more the matriarch but not in a dominant/fighting sense she was able to control any situation that arose with my younger female just with a look…

Several years later and my boy joined us and was always totally ok with living with 3 bossy Collie girls…

Now I just have two…the youngest female now 11 almost 12 who is now the boss and my boy 9…

If the rescue is the same age as Lexi it may double the naughtiness for a while but if she is a little or several years older it’s likely she will give Lexi puppy licence…I guess it also depends on the rescue’s background and whether she is in rescue through no fault of her own or if she was given up to rescue due to behavioural problems…???

Although it’s often the case that the behavioural problems are just a lack of understanding from previous owners…

She sounds like a good match Marijke and looking forwards to updates…:grinning:

1 Like

Thank you Helen! She is nearly four years old and described as very sweet, playful and energetic. There is no mention of behavioural problems but “playful/energetic” are always open to interpretation :grinning:

2 Likes

Depends what you want. Dogs are very adaptable. Two dogs behave like dogs. One dog learns to be human. So if you want an inseparable companion, only have one at a time. If you like watching animals having fun, two or more is OK.

3 Likes

We have always had females. All neutered as early as possible also. We now have 3, a rescue mongrel, nearly 10 yrs, a mini schnauzer 3 yrs, and a border collie x Berger Belge(Grœnendael), 10 months. All are the best of friends, sleep together, play, chase. They are brilliant together. No problems between them as they know their places in the home, we are at the top.
The biggest dog is the pup and she is happy being bottom of the pile. They are fed and treated in order,
I love having the girls.
Added benefit is that you can tickle their tummies without a ‘lipstick’ getting in the way!

4 Likes

@Mike_Kearney @Huffy

Thank you for your replies!

2 Likes

Or alternatively two three (or even four) dogs believe their selves to be humans on four legs and all become your inseparable companions…

Mine follow me everywhere even into my very small bathroom…:grinning:

2 Likes

Lol…I’ll bet you’re really looking forward to meeting her as soon as restrictions are lifted…

The Border Collie Rescue I support in uk can’t have anyone on their premises at the minute either…I am going to try and arrange a delivery of food for the dogs for them…

My mom’s friend who has just had the dreadful experience with her German Shepherd went to buy some eggs from a local supplier and was told their Border Collie is newly in pup…

My mom asked her if she would ever have another dog and she replied that she thought it was too soon to think about but how she also thought it synchronistic that despite being heartbroken she had been presented with the opportunity if she wanted to take the opportunity…

My mom is always talking about mine and even some of the district nurses who call on her tell her about their own dogs and how important they are to their own sense of well-being…

The universe works in mysterious ways…:heart:

2 Likes

That’s because they see you as part of their pack!

1 Like

You are a superstar :heart::heart:

Hi,
I have 4 small dogs all bitches!
Two are getting on in age and two are less than a year old, apart from the odd growl from a grump 12 year old they all get along really well!
I would certainly get a companion for your other dog.

1 Like

Hi,
As someone who keeps a pack of 15 to27 dogs, males entire, some bitches entire, some bitches neutered, I can advise as follows: bitches are wired for territory, necessary for reproduction. Familial bitches generally share due to common gene pool. Lurcher with a lot of sighthound is relatively easy going, we have sighthounds and an odd pug. Introduce, let them sort out who is what. Dominant always gets preferential treatment, if you get sentimental you will undermine status and fighting is a direct result of anthropomorphising humans. Neuters are generally fine, you should expect to be encouraged to introduce the dogs, it MUST be neutral ground. The way to do it? Two people join up for a walk, no greetings, just come together, no high squeaks, calm and grown up. And walk. By the end the dogs have met an d you will see by the third walk if they are pleased to see each other.
Don’t overthink it, if you feel connected to the new dog, it’s going to be compatible. Gundog is generally quite jolly, anyway. Good luck and I hope another dog finds a pack.[quote=“Marijkeh, post:1, topic:29440, full:true”]
Who here has two female dogs?

I have read it is not a good idea to have two female dogs. I have spotted a lovely collie cross Labrador in the local SPA who would seemingly make a great companion for my young lurcher when confinement ends…

Any thoughts ?
[/quote]

strong text

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. It is interesting to hear about the combinations of dogs people have and also the big difference in age ranges. What kind of dogs do you have? Are they all the same breed?

1 Like

Wow thanks for your reply and the advice. I would love to see some pictures of your dogs.

Best wishes Marijke

1 Like

Here is Lexi

7 Likes

We have two bitches, first we got as a puppy then when she was 8mths old we decided to get her a playmate as we couldn’t tire her out, this time we got a springer spaiel who was 4yrs old and they have played together, slept together and loved being with each other, affection both dogs crave for our attention and sometimes they behave as if they are humans.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. That’s really good to know. Whilst we play with Lexi a lot and take her for walks I do think she is missing the joy of running and playing with another dog.

1 Like

Yep I used to take Sasha (who was a Romanian crossbreed) for a 3 hour walk in the morning and then an hour in the afternoon, we were walking between 70 and 125miles per week, then my husband used to play with her when he got home from work for a couple of hours, then around 10pm she had another short walk but then only slept about 5 hours before she was hyper again wanting to play. The solution of another dog was not just for companionship but also when she was in the garden she could run around there with our new dog Tura (Spanish springer spaniel), both rescue dogs and we wouldn’t be without them now

3 Likes

Sounds like getting a Springer Spaniel did the trick! That was an incredible amount of walking you were doing initially. I am doing less (especially now during the lockdown) so we can only do an hour of walking followed by games in the garden. Following these I think I am more tired than the dog :laughing:

2 Likes

I have 5 dogs. 1 male, 4 females. They’re all different breeds, sizes, ages and came to me at different times. I’m not saying there aren’t occasional issues (usually around food, treats etc), but they live happily together. Some are more bonded than others, some play, some don’t, but we’re a family…and that includes the 4 cats. Good luck :blush:

3 Likes