U.K. pension

Is it PMQ’s tomorrow? Will Keir Starmer roast her?

UK needs to take a deep breath and start taxing The City more. Transaction taxes on the sorts of fliows private equity earns off.

Would have to be done carefully, strategically and with a plan. There is far more margin to do this literally I do mean margin… tbat despite the corporate screaming that will arise will not actually cause them to leave… cos the friendly regime in the UK still lets them keep far more of their money than other places.

Far less pain to the cointry going a tiny bit in that direction, as the participants in the real economy, workers and productive firms, and quite a lot of public services literally have no more to give.

1 Like

And whilst I am a big fan of the Armed Forces and know they’ve been cut too much too, does that stunning 3% of the economy’s production still being proposed to go into defence with all the other cuts being made, have anything to do with the UK sucking up to the Americans?

Or are the government thinking of beefing up the armed forces to protect their own ar$es from uprisings by ordinary UK people fed up with being 5hat on by the lackeys of international fatcats and plutocrats running the country?

4 Likes

OMG!
Just listened to James not so Cleverly being interviewed on BBC breakfast. He is totally useless contradicting himself and saying nothing, another Truss clone. The dregs being scraped from the conservative barrel to become ministers are unbelievable, roll on PMQ’s later for more bullshit.

he’s my MP FFS - so embarrassing. Looks like this constituency (next door to Pritti Awful’s) will be going back to Labour as it did under Blair and that was with a well respected MP who was Leader of the House. This nutter was Policing lead under De Pfeffle as London Mayor…

My brother and his wife’s MP until this April was KamiKwazi. She told me that he was the most condescending person she has ever had to talk to. Now after the move to Bristol, it’s Thangam Debbonaire, which is a big move upwards.

Correction: It’s actually Darren Jones that is their MP according to the interweb. They live very close to the boundary and they seem to have got it wrong :open_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh how things have changed over the years.
My current MP (as of our last constituency before we emigrated) is totally bleeding useless and I have never voted for him - nor will I as long as he draws breath.
One of his predecessors (in the Thatcher and Major administrations) was a junior health minister for a time and when he lost his seat eventually in the Blair landslide, it was at a time - just like now - that the Tories in general started to become toxic. However, as Leader of the House, he had great respect from all political persuasions across the political spectrum.
He truly would listen. He travelled by train every day from the constituency and would engage with commuters on the hour long trip up to town.
He was a passionate Tory but engaged with people at their level. I know this because I often helped out at his surgeries on a Saturday morning and people coming out of his room were genuinely pleased with what he promised to do for them - and he did deliver.
It was a complete surprise that he lost his seat to be honest given his popularity both in the party and locally but the Blair landslide took many casualties.
The current incumbent MP - (not so) Cleverly - deserves to lose his seat and will do so without doubt. I won’t be in the least bit sad and will celebrate his downfall.
My membership of the Conservative Party (since my 18th birthday) lapsed many years ago…

I just knew you were a closet Tory!!!

That is why you support the UK govt so strongly in every post!!! :joy:

2 Likes

more than just closet… I was a very active member of the local constituency party but never had aspirations towards Westminster :wink:

Some of the local parties have been keen to put as much clear (blue) water between themselves and the Westminster party as possible.

I trust you have come to your political senses?

all well and good, but if that constituency elects a Tory MP then the awfulness will surely continue…

It was a very different party then.

1 Like

Indeed - it was amusing to see, and further evidence that the party is falling apart but the Tories are not fit to govern at the moment.

Seems the Truss-bot is in revolving door mode again. Pensions will, apparently, rise in line with inflation now.

I’m no longer thinking of increases… just so long as the pension keeps on arriving… we’ll cope… :crossed_fingers:

that’s for today… who knows how that will change this afternoon when the hunt gets his hands on it… As Ian Blackford asked… will she consult with him whilst he is sat beside her before responding to ask his permission…

1 Like

Indeed as you say that might be for this morning. At the present rate I don’t think Truss will last until bonfire night as PM, perhaps not even as far as Halloween.

You can’t really have the Chancellor saying one thing about policy on Monday and the PM overruling him on Wednesday.

1 Like

The Truss-bot’s “performance” at PMQs today was dire… those smarties being handed to her by her friend Coffey have obviously been working to a limited degree.
However, her ineptitude in constantly blaming the Leader of the opposition for her failings was curious… At least Starmer redressed the balance by asking her why she was asking him questions other than because she accepts Labour are the Government in waiting…

It’s also significant that (not so) Cleverly was obviously not in loop… he was doing the TV studio rounds this morning and stated quite categorically about pensions that the uplift was at risk :thinking:
But still he sat there a few seats down nodding like a nodding dog on the cars parcel shelf :roll_eyes:
Useless

They were !
I remember when brown envelope man Neil Hamilton was beaten hollow by an effective low-key campaign by “the man in the white suit”, Martin Bell, in Tatton. People made simple B&W photocopies of the word BELL in A4, A5, whatever, and they appeared here and there and in many peoples’ windows. It was rather persuasive. At last an honest MP. It was a pity he promised up front not to stand for a second term.

2 Likes

She’s said a lot of other things too…