UK attendance allowance and similar benefits (AA is tax free in UK) on online tax form

Does anyone have any idea where to insert AA or similar benefits on the online tax forms - or do you just add it to your UK pension. Attendance allowance is a tax free benefit within the UK.

that’s an interesting question… I had no idea you could claim AA from UK while living in France…

Is this your first Declaration? or simply the first time you have been receiving AA ???

The attendance allowance was awarded to my husband last year - I have been doing online tax returns for years. Much rather he was well enough not to need it but such is life. I note there are quite a few folk online asking about how to declare UK benefits - taxed or not.

righto… I’ve just taken a look at my old paper ones… and can’t seem to see the right spot… for your AA

France does like to know the world-wide total income… but putting amounts in the wrong box can cause real strife.

Hope someone chimes in soon.

At least we have plenty of time to get things done. :hugs:

Yes it does seem to present a problem - if no answer, I will simply add it to our UK OAP income.

there is a box where you can write an explanation of whatever… I have used that in the past…

AFAIK Disability Benefits: Attendance Allowance (AA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) If you 're going abroad temporarily, you can keep claiming these benefits for up to 13 weeks.
In my view, if you are claiming this benefit outside the spirit of the UK legislation, it is income which must be declared on top of any pension or other income.
Further, if you have not notified the appropriate UK authorities about a change in circumstances you commit a criminal offence. IMO it is extremely important that you speak to the DWP/HMRC at the earliest opportunity to square things up.


Was that an answer to my question or a warning - not too sure!

To be fair Maggi, I’m confused as well.

I recall looking into this carefully when my own husband was very ill and it was quite clear that he was not eligible as he was not habitually resident in the UK nor resident at the time of the claim.

If you say that you have been completing online tax returns for years then, presumably, you have also been living in France for years as well so I’m not understanding how your husband can be eligible for this benefit from the UK.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful but I’d be interested to understand if there were special circumstances that allowed your husband to receive this benefit. I imagine others may be interested to if they had originally come to the same conclusion as we did that my husband was not eligible.

I attach the appropriate page of the government website for information.

1 Like

make of it what you will…

1 Like

Hi Mandy

I was told the same thing but with dogged determination I still applied - and was awarded the benefit - bear in mind the form is a hellish one but once its done - its a wait and see thing. My husband had worked in the UK until he was 65 - so why would he not be entitled. We moved here in 2003 and believe me I do not try to commit fraud and god knows I object to folk like the previous poster who assume we have the brain of a gnat. A severely disabled friend after being told the same as you applied and got it too. I would rather have my 84 year old husbands health instead of him requiring attendance allowance. With the benefit of hindsight there are many things I wish we had taken into account before moving here.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You ask a question, I provide an answer - simple.
No need to be abusive because its not the reply you wanted.
I’ve flagged your post as inappropriate for attention.

There’s no need to be rude ! Please!

@graham was merely raising a point. AHAIK (and I really don’t know so could well be wrong, if you are resident in one country, you should normally be claiming benefits there? This is certainly the case with child and unemployment benefits.).

Your case may well be different- but - please don’t shoot the messenger!


Well I wish I had tried for it then but the rules seemed very clear to me. Ah well, as you say, you would rather have your husband in good health than have to resort to this.

We had to manage with what help was on offer from the French government which, whilst extremely welcome and very generous, did not give us extra income. You might want to explore what practical help is available to you in France. We claimed l’APA and I attach a link below.

All the best x


@cat BTW, if she bothers to read my post, I never accused her of anything :anger: the condescending cow

1 Like

Perhaps here?

Si la pension d’invalidité est de source étrangère, il faut la déclarer :

  • case 1AL : si la pension a dĂ©jĂ  fait l’objet d’une imposition Ă  l’étranger faisant l’objet d’un crĂ©dit d’impĂ´t en France
  • case 1AM : si la pension n’a pas dĂ©jĂ  Ă©tĂ© imposĂ©e

But I had a query this week and phoned the tax office who were very helpful.

1 Like

Perhaps @maggib can phone her local tax folk and ask them the question… ???

JJ has had a good result with her own query…

… so surely worth a try.
No matter if it is taxfree in UK… France will want to know the total income and make their own decisions… (as far as I know)

maggi… please do let us know how you get on. :slight_smile:

My husband who is 84 has vascular dementia, and is almost blind and is awaiting a cataract op in these troubled times and has heart and kidney failure - so he is not in good health. I always telephone these departments - they then sent me an application form - it was so long I actually put it aside for 6 months - it was that off putting. However in a quieter moment I decided to tackle it. I found the new dossier medical partage printout was handy plus a note from the doc. The money helps us a lot - ok so it may cause hassle via tax forms. You should telephone - a friend of mine did and was awarded too. My husband has worked and paid all his working life in the UK - why should France be responsible - bad enough that his old age pension is called a “benefit”. Do you know I hesitated asking here and actually dreaded the response which to me was help with a simple question. I wish anyone who is in the position of my husband all the luck in the world applying.

Well Stella - I will be filling in the forms online tomorrow and perhaps will attach a copy of his letter of award from UK benefits system. Will let you know how I get on - I usually get immediate response ie no tax payable on your incomes.