UK attendance allowance and similar benefits (AA is tax free in UK) on online tax form

2 Likes

I don’t appreciate the tone of this post nor your assumptions with regard to our finances @anon27586881 We work hard to keep this place in good order, and have always strived to have the community manage itself as much as is possible.

Your suggestion that we don’t want the hassle is offensive to both of us, perhaps if everyone was a little more positive then we wouldn’t need heavy handed moderation?

I opened the link to AA by HMG and it seems that this allowance can be claimed if you live in France and that you can also initiate a claim from here.

My first instinct would be to ask the local impôt office for their advice about completing the declaration but failing that, I’d lump it in with the state pension. That’s what I do with our Christmas £10 presents.

Tax free won’t apply in France. That will be the same as the old WFA or a Premium Bond win.

I hope it all goes well! Bon courage :blush:

1 Like

Following Brexit, UK Gov have updated the information - it appears that some UK nationals resident in the EU may still qualify.
The relevant information is here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/benefits-and-pensions-for-uk-nationals-in-the-eea-or-switzerland

Extracted from the above link is the following:
Benefits if you were living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland by 31 December 2020
This guidance is for UK nationals. If you were living in an EU country by 31 December 2020 you are covered by the EU Withdrawal Agreement. There are equivalent agreements in place if you were living in an EEA country or Switzerland by 31 December 2020. Read fuller guidance on citizens’ rights.

You may be able make new claims for some UK benefits, if you meet all the other eligibility requirements. There are rules which say which country you should claim benefits from. We will only ask for further information if the UK is the country you may be able to claim benefits from.

Read guidance on which benefits you can claim if you live, move or travel abroad.

Check which benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them, using an online checker.

Quite a few benefits like contribution based ESA Support Group, industrial injuries, disability Living allowance, PIP, attendance allowance, carer’s allowance etc are exportable to any EU country.

You should be able to put either expenses for supporting family, I believe medical expenses? and definitely any amounts for people supporting you in your house or garden, or elder care, also on your tax return which either nets those costs off your taxable income or gives decent rebates. The sums allowed for this are not trivial.

It is a shame that reading through all these threads that the original question asked has not been answered. The best advice I have seen so far is to contact the Impots office for advice.
I worked for the DWP for years and can confirm what some have wrote that indeed there are some exportable benefits that you can still claim from the UK whilst living in a EU country. If you were already a resident in a EU pre brexit you are covered by the withdrawal agreement and therefore eligible to apply, but if you moved to a EU country post brexit you cannot claim these same benefits, it is similar to the S1 scenario now.
I personally don’t have an issue with British expats who have paid into the UK social fund (NI) all their working lives, it is only fair they get something back now that they are in need of it regardless where they now live. What gets me is the foreigners that come into Britain, claim the benefits which majority are not based on what contributions they have made to the UK, then leave the UK pre Brexit but still are being paid by the UK an exportable benefit, that’s what you call unfair and unjust, but hey that,s the UK for you, daft and silly benefits system, well they did have till Brexit

You’ll be backing that claim up with evidence I suppose?

Have you not seen the various documentaries that have been broadcasted on channel 4 and 5 or were reported in the newspapers in the 2010’s? I lived in the UK in the 2010’s and remember seeing them.

@anon88169868 I kinda took @Dolphin1 's wording “I worked for the DWP for years” as proof enough…

Sorry about your car, btw.

I have some magic beans that will give you untold riches. Yours for just 100€. :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I specifically didn’t - working for the DWP is not a background I’d expect to qualify one for unbiased opinion, indeed it’s a background I’d expect to engender the polar opposite.

Bully for you but we need a bit better than vaguely remembered C4 documentaries.

Thanks, shit happens but it does not stop one being extremely pissed off.

So, back to the point. I’ll try to dig out some references but it’s a bit late and I’m still distracted by today’s events at a personal level.

It is generally acknowledged that immigrants bring more positive benefits than negative - especially to a mature economy such as the UK. It has been (cynically) suggested that FoM benefited the UK by allowing us to swap unhealthy pensioners who were mostly shipped out to Spain for healthy and eager workers from Eastern Europe but I digress.

There is good evidence that immigrants a) are more likely to be employed than natives (or less likely to be on benefits) and b) are overall contributors to the public purse.

Of course national economies are closed systems so one might argue that all they do is help the money already in circulation move around - which is true, to a point but young, hard working immigrants are generally considered a boon. The myth of the “health tourist” is generally just that - a myth.

Even if they move back home and draw a pension - they are not going to take “more out than they put in” because UK pensions don’t work like that - they will take out an amount exactly proportion to that which they contributed.

1 Like