UK cars - where to put your Crit'Air sticker

Ummmm………

Reading with interest, as after a few months of having my critair sticker, I finally put it on the windscreen, on the left side, on a RHD car. Now hoping I wasn’t too hasty :grinning:

When our sticker arrived, it came with clear instruction for placing it correctly… visual as well as verbal… but that was in the very beginning…
Perhaps they’ve reduced the accompanying info since then…
but every French site/link clearly states where to put it and shows the sticker “righthand down a bit…”… in French obviously :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

I’m not often entering critair zones, but I assume they must also have a database of which cars they have issued them for, just in case they don’t pick one up on a camera for whatever reason :thinking: It seems I can’t simply peel it off so it’ll have to stay now - next time I might read the instructions :grinning: I think it’s a man thing :joy:

1 Like

In France, the driver is customarily on the left side of the vehicle, so the sticker should be on the right - along with your ct and insurance proofs.

3 Likes

Of course, this thread started originally for UK cars which were not permanently in France, thus were not Registered in France, but going back to UK… for MOT, life in general…
and it was annoying when the MOT chappie destroyed the vignette…

Glad to say no such troubles with French CT chappies…

For visitors… this is informative…
Crit'Air car stickers - All you need to know about CritAir anti-pollution stickers for Paris.

Thanks for the advice about where to stick my sticker. I’ve bought a wallet now and will dutifully relocate it (though it’s really only for Rouen: we never take the car into Paris).

Ours have been in our cars since the beginning (lowdown rhs)… and we forget all about 'em now, whereas at first I would be a bit twitchy when we were out on our long-haul trips…

It’s one less thing to worry about… phew.

1 Like

Thank you for doing the research - but that reply from the Gouv doesn’t really solve the question - it carefully doesn’t mention the exact location for RHD cars!!

I’m going with the official advisory to put it at bottom right on my windscreen - with my new (to me) Honda Accord UK RHD car the “swept area” from the wipers doesn’t extend quite as far down as it did on my old VW Passat, so there is just enough room to plonk it in the corner so it doesn’t obtrude more than the 40mm allowed by UK MOT regs.

I had my Honda MOT’d 2 weeks ago (admittedly with a different MOT centre) and they weren’t bothered about my Crit’Air sticker :ok_hand:

So I guess it depends a bit on your car’s windscreen layout whether you can acceptably conform to both French and UK regulations!! - and on how anal about the MOT rules the UK MOT tester is.

What an exciting thread this is! :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Ah… your car is not French Reg… strikes me that for folk in similar situation… a gentle word when taking the UK car to its MOT would remove any worries (and not remove the Crit’Air) :crossed_fingers: :rofl: :+1:

Yes agreed - but the first time this occurred the MOT bloke simply ripped the Crit’Air sticker off without asking me. And it relies on a receptionist remembering to tell the MOT tester not to remove it, of course.

ah yes, that could be a problem… however, having explained to the Receptionist, I’d leave a large explanatory notice on the windscreen tucked under the wiper blades… addressed to the Technicien… :wink: :rofl: :crossed_fingers:

You’ve sorted your MOT place… and I’m sure most folk can do similarly…

(this all sounds like another plus+++ for living fulltime in France… although I understand, and feel sad for those for whom this is impossible)

1 Like

Yes that’s my plan - am working on it!! :smiley:

4 Likes

I sympathise. Like you I had to order another and I placed the original on the driver’s side.

And is the car left- or right-hand drive?

1 Like

A UK MoT tester has no authority to remove anything from a windscreen. Items thought to be non-compliant should be entered, appropriately, on the Certificate.

The UK MoT permits

In Zone B, a single damaged area shall be contained within a 40mm diameter circle. Windscreen stickers, or other obstructions, shall not encroach more than 40mm.

It’s possible to place Crit’Air and German Umwelt stickers on the screen so they comply.

Well he may not have had authority, but he did it! :smiley:

And yes I have researched the MOT windscreen rules in detail and my Crit’Air sticker is “encroaching” less than 40mm!

French car. On right side of windscreen above CT certificate. sorry not clear

I ordered Crt’Air stickers for our cars, three LHD and one RHD, as soon as they were announced. I received pretty purple, yellow and orange ones, so nothing too naughty, and stuck each of them out of the way in the top lefthand corner of the screen (as one looks at the vehicle). They have all been through multiple CTs and and never a problem or even a comment. I’ll be getting a green one soon and it’ll go in the same place :slightly_smiling_face: I stick the péage badges in the opposite corner.

That is incorrect, so you are lucky not to have received a fine. They would probably not register when going through a prohibited zone.