UK Covid analysis

Actually, most of the nonagenarians I know think about their chances of dying in the next year much more than twice. When talking about the future most of them are perpetually saying things like “If I’m still here” - and they’re not saying it for effect, they are saying it because they’re not sure whether they will be or not. In many cases, depending on their quality of life, they’re not too fussed either way.

2 Likes

The chances of dying from COVID-19 are not equal. It’s predominantly the old & frail. It’s also males & those who are obese. It’s smokers. It’s those with asthma, diabetes, hypertension. The numbers of young people dying are low. Young fit healthy people die each year of influenza. It happens but most young people with this virus have no symptoms. There are manner of theories why certain young healthy individuals are dying of COVID-19 but none allow us to make any prediction. It may be a genetic predisposition that renders them unable to fight this particular coronavirus or it might just be bad luck.

True but you are getting dangerously close to saying “it’s OK because it only takes the old and frail”

Just suppose for a moment that 2nd infections are much worse, even in the young. There is at least some theoretical concern that this could be the case as it seems to be the immune response to the virus which does the dammage, not the actual viral infection.

Would this change your stance?

Would this not mean it was sensible to keep cases to a minimum until we actually understand this virus and how it affects us?

2 Likes

Over 90% of all UK Covid-19 fatalities had at least one existing medical condition, so I guess this means that regardless of your age etc as long as you’re healthy you’ve got a good chance of survival.

1 Like

I was merely contradicting the palpably false statement that " There is no known profile for covid19 so everyone’s chances appear to be equal, be they old, young, obsese, fit - all the things that change the odds if you look at them as individuals."

I’m all for keeping cases to a minimum but don’t think we can sustain the current lockdown for the next 18 months until there is a vaccine.

Call it 90% to make the maths easier.
Call the daily mortality rate 800 although in the UK it is higher.
That means that 80 people with no existing medical condition die in hospital of Covid19 EVERY DAY.
OK so 80 people out of the population of the UK is a tiny proportion, but, EVERY DAY.
That’s a lot of lives cut short unexpectedly

Yes, I think my brain passed wind there :grin:
I did have a point to makje, but what I said wasn’t it. And I’ve forgotten what my point was now. Maybe it’ll come back to me.

I have the same problem sometimes @anon27586881
Now. why did I say that :thinking: :wink: :smile:

2 Likes

We might have to endure some degree of restriction for a long while though

We should be doing widespread testing and tracing, but the case rate is too high at present given our testing and follow-up capacity.

Not that I fancy the government’s new Big Brother app.

Well, I’m worried my chances of scumbing to it have taken a leap forward as I am being admitted to hospital (in France thankfully) next week for a pacemaker.
I don’t personally feel as though I need it and have been absolutely dutiful in keeping to the spirit of the lock down. I’d quite happily wait until the dust settles before going in for the procedure.
Thankfully, I have a hectare of park/grounds to exercise in so social distancing works well for me and presents no problem unlike some poor souls confined to a small apartment.
I’m a miserable old git anyway so not meeting people suits me fine :joy:

2 Likes

A hospital is not a great place to be right now, my 85 year old mother thought for a change of scenery she’d have a couple of falls at home on Monday and get herself admitted, she has mobility issues so will be in there for weeks. :confounded:

Could the confirmed cases on the French aircraft carrier be part of the ‘spike’?

Could be but not all of them (600 and something wasn’t it?)

Now up to 1000 with more test results to be announced.

You are like my husband, a pantouflard!

Following in failing Grayling’s footsteps paying money to a ferry company with no ferries…

For a miserable git you’ve got a great talent for making other people laugh. Mind you, Tony Hancock was like that. :thinking::hugs:

2 Likes

Do hope your stay in hospital for the pacemaker won’t involve a lengthy stay, Graham. I feel confident you will be kept in a protected environment Covid-free.

Don’t let any medical personnel anywhere near your funny-bone, there’s a black market in harvested bits of human anatomy for sale. Yours would fetch enough to build a six bedroomed villa with a swimming pool and stables.

2 Likes

I think that they only keep Grayling around to make the rest of them look good.

1 Like

The fiascos of this government continue to mount. Apparently they turned down the chance of buying centrally with the EU three times, they chose not to stockpile PPE and to rely on the supply chain. Manufacturers in UK that have stepped up to provide PPE are waiting to have their products certified whilst stocks of gowns are due to run out this weekend.
I think I could have done better. At least I would have used good old fashioned common sense.
This government have given themselves sweeping powers, yet we are continuing to see the same rules being applied as though there was no emergency.
Beyond belief.

1 Like

An everlasting shame that he never became a miserable old git as he was dead at the age of 44. He would have been 96 next month if he was still with us.
Just a couple of weeks ago I bought "The Rebel’ & “The Punch & Judy Man” on Blu-ray & Hancock’s Half Hour is still on the radio with repeats from 1956 on Radio 4 Extra still as funny as ever.

2 Likes