UK Covid analysis

1984 as interpreted in 1956…

1956 Version

1984 as interpreted in 1884…

1984 version

2020… 1984 is a reality…

What is probably more interesting is why a Murdoch owned paper is laying into the Tories/Johnson.

The current theory is that Murdoch has tired of Johnson and wants to install Gove as PM

Just when you thought things could not get worse…

2 Likes

Murdoch is definitely on my list of “People who really ought to get the virus and not recover if there was any justice in the world”…

Just saying…

1 Like

Update on the graphs - data still from Worldometer

They adjusted the French numbers, apparently because some of the care home cases were “confirmed” rather than “presumed” and thus already counted in the confirmed case total. Not sure if the relatively small No if new cases today is as a result of weekend reporting lag or all of the various adjustments but the overall trend in France seems to be encouragingly downwards.

I wish I could say the same for the UK - even the official figures now show 5 days of rising numbers (well, technically they have been stable ish at just over 5.5k new cases but the 5-day average pulls out a rising trend, though a little bit of that is extrapolating data at the end of the graph)

The green line is the time to double cases, sections “missing” are periods when the numbers have been falling - the lower this line is the faster cases increase - currently it is slow, about 25 days, but it is, nonetheless going the wrong way given the mood music coming out of the government and talk of lifting restrictions.

I suspect that the fact that the rate is rising is down to the good weather at the beginning of the month causing people to be out and about more and it underlines the fact that the UK lockdown is only just tight enough, even working fully, to get R0 to less than 1.

The worry, of course, remains that deaths in the community could add 50, or even 100% on top of the official figures and detecting 5k cases probably means at least 50k cases in reality.

Murdoch will need to confront Gove’s under-lip blob-of-spittle issue before installing him in Number 10. I reckon Trump would have the screaming ab-dabs about sharing space with a man who generates spit-pith like Govie, bearing in mind the former’s well known OCD.

For me, Gove has the charm and fascination of a spitting Cobra, and I am sure the public would adore him. Bring it on!

2 Likes

such a way with words @Peter_Goble - very descriptive :snake:
but you missed out the best bit… equally lower than a snake’s belly!

1 Like

There is not one of them that inspires confidence.
Full time politicians, all out for themselves.

2 Likes

You’d complain if they were only part time! :grinning:

I think this gets to the heart of the matter. They all seem to lack any expertise relevant to the proper functioning of society so that it fulfils social needs equitably and adequately. Their specialty is deception of the snake-oil kind, persuading us to swallow poison in the belief that it is good for us.

1 Like

Hancock should resign at once.

Gove in action defending Bojo’s focus on Brexit and getting engaged while the Country accelerated towards disaster.

France has quite a good tradition of politicians with experience eg health minister who is a doctor, education minister who is a teacher, finance minister who is an economist etc

3 Likes

Thanks for the necessary reorientation, Nigel.:+1:

It’s a sad (but probably inevitable) fact that most of the political chatter on SF is about the dire state of UK government, its recent effect on some of our lives here in France, and those of our families and friends still there.

France is a better place to be, and not to be taken for granted by those of us settled here.

2 Likes

Not sure I understand what you mean by that Peter, care to explain?

UK politicians are mostly amateurs with an arts degree who have never had a proper job.

2 Likes

Perhaps you could tell me which part you don’t understand, Tim? It is, of course, a personal opinion in the reference to being a better place to be. As is the “not taken for granted” comment, because I am/we are immigrants here, and that fact carries with it implications for my/our awareness of how my/our presence in French society may impact our hosts. And in ways that may escape our day-to-day awareness.

Does that help?

The second bit.

No. The material has to comply with ISO 20384 standard. Nothing to do with the WHO which is a useless collection of wannbes and not fit for purpose and never has been.

Hear Hear.

Peter, please dont insult a useful component of the animal world. A cobra has guts, which is more than this wallace and gromit character. BTW i noticed yesterday he has had his “suicide Door” ears flattened. Must have been the numerous ear bashings.

1 Like