UK Covid analysis

I am getting tired of people, although it’s more in England than here, saying “it’s only a cold”. We don’t know what effects it leaves even if you haven’t got long covid.

1 Like

Really sorry to hear that Paul, not the age to get pneumonia, serious at any age. Hope for a good outcome.

It isnt only a cold, hopefully you can understand I am using the language of others. With stats in the UK likely to be somewhere from 50,000 cases per day to 100,000 cases per day the UK experiment will roll on and the world will watch. Despite taking precautions and I will continue to wear a mask after the 19th July it would seem pretty inevitable I will catch it just by the stats and the data. With the maximum figure we would expect to see hundreds of deaths and a proportion of long covid cases, wheather that is related to metabolic syndrome we will have to wait and see.

not directed at you John - I spend the other half of my day on a forum for the wealthier and more entitled in the UK and their statements over time were what is being referred to.

Btw I am a big fan of the incredibly knowledgeable and generous help you give here in a wide range of things.

1 Like

Thank you Karen, I am wondering how this thing will roll out and my next/only trip to the house will turn out. If the numbers rage then I can’t see UK residents being welcomed to a country with low vacination rates as it could decimate their population and make us hated with the corresponding property damage etc to make us sell up. I hope I am wrong.

I am sure that not all people will hate the Brits. If you are already well thought of in your area in France why should that change?
The Brits are not well thought of on this forum either.

As I’ve mentioned previously I share John’s anxiety although at the moment I’m hoping that the window of opportunity stays open long enough for a visit.

It will stay open for a while - by closing quickly would highlight it was an error to open whilst rates were rising.

3 Likes

Bit of a tweak for today

Purple shows the latest data, also used for the moving average. Green shows the data as downloaded yesterday - you can see how the figures evolve as positive cases are (re) assigned to the correct days.

I’ve also adjusted the curve used for prediction to a better visual fit with the most recent data - that has reduced the predicted numbers a bit to 65k by the 19th but as things stand if the trend continues I really can’t see what stops it until it simply runs out of people to infect - all of these curves are really S-shaped as populations are finite.

UK vaccination stands at 45,697,875 who have received the first dose and 34,374,246 fully vaccinated. That means roughly 19 million over 18’s at risk, mainly working age (something different from previous waves), plus maybe up to a couple of million (re)infections in the already vaccinated. Worryingly the rate of new 1st doses is plummeting.

Perhaps, I’m hoping general inertia will suffice :slight_smile:

That is pretty much what I watched on the youtube videos earlier on with Ivor Cummings, it’s what a pandemic virus does and as said by you and others the controls are in place to try to protect the health services from being swamped.

Or will it,
What will he announce on Monday?

If I were a free agent I’d travel this weekend, but I’m stuck with waiting another week.

This is insane - I get the distinct feeling that the Test & Trace app is being blamed here, rather than the exponential increase in cases.

Meanwhile

1 Like

Doris to a Tee

4 Likes

a new word to add to the world beating UK Covid lexicon pingdemic…

Yes, it was used in the articles I linked to.

But look at that headline " Test and Trace app wreaks havoc" - my emphasis. Why FFS is this not “Covid wreaks havoc” :rage:

because it’s only in the UK that the T&T app is doing so (wreaking havoc) - elsewhere, it is seen to be working just fine and doing its job.

My point, though, is that this is nothing to do with the T&T app per se - if you have 50,000 cases per day (we’ve just passed that particular Rubicon) you are rather likely to have it identify half a million contacts a week (in fact rather more since that half million was up to Jul 7th).

The basic problem is Covid cases running rampant, which is a failure of government health policy as a result of focussing purely on hospital admissions and deaths rather than taking account of the disruption a high case load causes in, and of, itself.

I think people are being softened up for discontinuation of T&T

4 Likes

Just waiting for “the HNS can’t cope and the only way to better health care is privatisation”.

2 Likes

I think we are unlikely to hear too many more suggestions of the World Beating Vaccine roll out in UK.

There is a list of countries in EU including France that have now vaccinated more people (or higher %).

It was a slow start but in France now the vaccinations continue to be done as a high rate with over 12s now being done ahead of return to school - unfortunately Scotland is now seeing the impact of a peak with schools returning.

It was being discussed on UK radio yesterday that the roll out in UK has slowed dramatically since early July (normally 30-40k per day of 1st vaccines) With the introduction of enforced pass sanitaire checks or chargeable tests France has kept the vaccine rollout high (130-150k per pay of 1st vaccines).

Well done to all concerned - keep them coming so we can hopefully return to some form of normality in the not too distant future.

4 Likes