UK Covid analysis

What seems daft to me (I’ve mentioned this before, sorry) is why the UK doesn’t seem to be recording the number of people who have recovered.
Since it keeps coming back to the notion of herd immunity, I would have thought that this would be a very important figure for it.

Or to put it slightly differently

• makes a certain Mr Johnson a prime candidate?
2 Likes

He claims he’s already had it.

He’s not been admitted to critical care - yet…

Just wait 'til the ERG get hold of him when he extends transition.

1 Like

So, the above few posts look a little crass now.

I actually hope that he pulls through and that his doctors are being over sensitive because he is PM - we can talk about how he is getting the care most deserve but do not get at a later date.

1 Like

Thought about this too, not many reasonings come to mind. One is, that an early decision was made at the same time as the “meeting” where they decided to only test those in or admitted to hospital. That was we would ignore the recording of such stats as the general public were not being tested in the first place.
They had the perfect opportunity to streamline a system, and also; collect data that could be priceless in this technological age. Then ignored it.
One other glaring omission , was the serious/critical, which was at 20 ? for over a week. Now on 1559. So for me that is never believable.
I don’t know , something stinks about all of this.

1 Like

This from the NY times - its about testing and being pro active in Germany
perhaps explains low death rate

" They call them corona taxis: Medics outfitted in protective gear, driving around the empty streets of Heidelberg to check on patients who are at home, five or six days into being sick with the coronavirus.

They take a blood test, looking for signs that a patient is about to go into a steep decline. They might suggest hospitalization, even to a patient who has only mild symptoms; the chances of surviving that decline are vastly improved by being in a hospital when it begins.

“There is this tipping point at the end of the first week,” said Prof. Hans-Georg Kräusslich, the head of virology at University Hospital in Heidelberg, one of Germany’s leading research hospitals. “If you are a person whose lungs might fail, that’s when you will start deteriorating.”

Heidelberg’s corona taxis are only one initiative in one city. But they illustrate a level of engagement and a commitment of public resources in fighting the epidemic that help explain one of the most intriguing puzzles of the pandemic: Why is Germany’s death rate so low?"

5 Likes

Thank you for that explanation. So good to see a country being pro-active as well as valuing its medical staff. At the same time it is devastating to think of all those lives lost unnecessarily elsewhere.

1 Like

… from gross incompetence

1 Like

I wonder if different personal space needs and other cultural differences are factors?
Many years ago I ran a transnational project with Italian and Swedish partner organisations - it was interesting on social occasions watching Italian and Swedish conversations move across the room, as the Italians invaded the larger personal space required by the Swedes, and the Swedes took little steps back.
Northern European and Japanese might well be cultures where there is habitually less close contact between people (and smog masks have long been a feature of Tokyo life).

3 Likes

This was shared by some Swedish friends - not really in lock down, but a realistic assessment and ‘ask’ of the situation there

A greeting from the Swedish Intensive Care Society Board, please share…

Thanks to you who take responsibility in Coronatider!

As an intensive care doctor, we would like to express our warm thanks to those who take responsibility.

Thanks to you who do not go to the mountains this Easter. Even if you are not sick in COVID-19, Easter is the weekend with the most intensive care-consuming scooter accidents. By not going to the mountains, you also do not fall in the ski and get fractures that require hospital care. Thank you for not being one of them right now.

Thanks also to those who don’t get on the scooter or quad after drinking alcohol. Your effort can lead to intensive care places to use instead in other patients, such as the heart patient who can now have surgery despite Coronatider, because you are not injured and need health care.

Thanks to you who cancel the big family dinner, or avoid inviting the neighbors to Easter lunch. Your effort leads to a reduction in the risk of infection, and increases the chance that care places are enough.

Thanks also to all Easter vacant young people, who do not drink alcohol or meet at big parties. It’s sad right now, but you may actually have saved the life of someone else by not needing a hospital place due to being alcohol drunk, or at worst injured and alcohol affected. You have also reduced the risk of infection to your loved ones through your effort. In Sweden, the average age of intensive care consuming COVID-19 patients is only over 60 years.

Thanks to all the amazing employees in hospitals around Sweden. You are doing an outstanding job right now.

But above all - many thanks to all the 70 plugs who stand to be isolated. It’s really taking responsibility for your own life. Because even if everyone else above makes their efforts - it is possible that we still can’t save your life if you get sick.

1 Like

I think that you are very wrong about Corbyn. My only knowlege of the man was when ,as a constituency MP, he helped my son with a problem with the local council. At that time my son had adopted a ‘grunge’ lifestyle but this did not seem to worry Corbyn.
It seems that agressive behaviour is the only behaviour accepted in UK politics and Corbyn tried to break that mould.
I find it ironic that ideas proposed by Corbyn have now been adopted.

5 Likes

He is a very good constituency MP and campaigner for what is right in society - but that in itself doesn’t make him a good party leader.

Completely unnecessary
If you think Boris & his merry band are doing a better job than JC would have, then you’re very sadly delusional
IMO

Today’s UK figures are late, wonder why.

Just for a moment when I read your post I thought you meant Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve just unofficially heard a similar (though not quite identical) number.

It is welcome news but I don’t see the stats for the patients diagnosed in the last 14 days changing massively.

Fingers crossed but bear in mind that Monday’s figure tends to be low because of delayed reporting on Sunday.