UK driving licences after Brexit - I'm glad I did not panic!

I’ve registered too but I’m afraid I concur with Gareth regarding the Living in France bit of the government website - it’s not been very informative so far…

Already signed.

Thanks for the link Gareth

Andy

1 Like

how did you do this, I assume you have a UK adress

I have what I would describe as an accommodation address for bank accounts, credit cards and my UK licence. Like many I was unable to swap my licence last year so reluctantly renewed using this address rather than be without one.

1 Like

Similar to me, my mother in law allows me to use her address for bank account etc and she is my proxy for voting.

But to hold a driving licence you should be physically resident in UK.

100% correct Jane but what are people supposed to do when the country they live in refuses to allow them to swap licences, any ideas?

2 Likes

Well you are an adult, so your choices are yours…

Take a French driving test perhaps?
I’m sure your skills are up to it…

I must say, this thread is a bit of a rollercoaster if you read from beginning to end. Given the title, a bit of panicking in 2019 may have meant a lot less panicking in 2021 as it turns out, although as we’ve seen even those who had applied before the thread was created may not actually even have their french license in their hand. There may be various reasons and various people at blame but it does seem like a complete fiasco from the start, and is a real worry (assuming a deal is reached to start exchanging them again) when things start up again and everyone with a British licence applies to exchange it. Will there still be people in 3 years time (and an open ended deadline extension given) as the whole thing has ground to a halt? Given how smooth the CDS process has been so far there is a glimmer of hope, but only a glimmer I think…

If I have to I will Graham.

Thanks for that Jane, I guess that’s what you also say to your other half. :wink:

Of course!

(Like hell…:pig2::airplane:)

roller coasters can cause you to feel sick and churning stomache…like the licence fiasco…so apt description. Have a friend living here who renewed last year with a UK address without any issues.

1 Like

Taking a new test in our new country would solve the problem.
We are just upset at having to take a step backwards and losing access to a perfectly sound arrangement.
Also, I have never met anyone who was happy about the idea of taking another test (despite how good we all believe we are!) I am a professional driver working through agencies and since the UK opened up to the EU it has become normal for any new site I visit to require an “Assessment” by a “Competent Person” of my competence. This is required, I believe, by the insurance companies but it is far short of a test and really they just want to be confident that you won’t take out 20 metres of security fencing as you leave the depot! (I’m not exagerating and it’s not the worst case). Anyway, a lot of colleagues are unhappy about even this level of scrutiny - and they have all passed the HGV/LGV test.
Does anyone know of an English speaking French driving instructor in the Dordogne/Quercy area?

You could call it an accommodation address I suppose.

It’s where I stay when I visit the UK. :wink:

Well there’s a thing. I thought the address had to be that of your habitual residence.

1 Like

It does, so as soon as France lets me swap my UK licence I’ll do so and everything will be well with the world.

1 Like