UK - Labour Leadership

Kier Starmer elected as Labour Leader.
Brilliant IMO. Now we have an after dinner speaker being cross examined by an eminent and highly qualified lawyer.

7 Likes

I am really pleased to hear his speechā€¦ I do hope he lives up to his wordsā€¦

:relaxed: :relaxed:

At least Labour selected probably the best choice from the available candidates not the worst as the Tories did - but I still donā€™t see a Labour victory next GE unless the nation wakes up from its collective self-denial as to just how shit a government the Conservatives are being right now (and have been for the last 10 years).

2 Likes

Well, perhaps many of the ā€œblue rinsesā€ will have fallen of their perches by then :grin:

2 Likes

and then the news that blojo has invited all the opposition leaders including the Chief Medical Officer to Downing Street next week for a conference :roll_eyes:
Perhaps he wants to kill them all off!

6 Likes

I shouldnā€™t be laughing :speak_no_evil::laughing:

3 Likes

6 Likes

But we all were.

2 Likes

Yes, I think he"ll eviscerate Bojo and Hancock. BTW, whereā€™s that odious Patel bully hiding?

1 Like

Right leader, bad timing. If Starmer had been leader in December Labour might have stood a chance.

2 Likes

I think Starmerā€™s the only current English politician from any party whom one could describe as ā€˜statesmanlikeā€™. He has intelligence and gravitas, but these are combined with a working class background and a forename for which most (male!) Labour politicians would probabaly kill to have as their own.

Intelligence, vast experience coupled with street-cred and being quite appealing to MOR voters (heā€™s got a K!), itā€™s just a shame itā€™ll probably be years before he can make a meaningful political challenge to the status quo.

2 Likes

Yes, his Knighthood is not run of the mill. Its a KCB as well as him being a QC.

The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, order of British knighthood established by King George I in 1725, conferred as a reward either for military service or for exemplary civilian merit.

and he didnā€™t get that by resting on his laurels,

2 Likes

Pity he failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile when he worked for CPS- a blemish his apology has failed to eradicate. Just another politician with skeletons in said cupboard.

2 Likes

A quick check seems to indicate that the sudden current blaming of Starmer seems to have originated and been spread by alt-right Twitterati and websites (which also have a lot of racist stories with dodgy reporting). However, Iā€™ll refrain from enquiring as to your sourceā€¦

Isnā€™t it more likely that if there were any serious basis to this story the Murdoch press and their ilk would be splashing it over their front pages. As far as I recollect, the inquiry into the DPPā€™s failure to prosecute Saville found the cause to be a series of county police failures to investigate and to take victimsā€™ claims seriously that had extended over several decades. Nothing to do with Starmer except that he was DPP when the report was published.

ā€˜Apologising to the victims, Keir Starmer, the Director of Public Prosecutions, said victims of any sexual abuse, no matter how historic, who felt their complaints were mishandled, should come forward, and promised a review of such cases. Panels will be set up across the country by police and prosecutors to re-examine cases. This had to be a ā€œwatershed momentā€ in the way complaints from victims of sexual assault were handled, he said, adding that victims had to be believed.ā€™

The Guardian 11/1/2013, avail at.-

2 Likes

Google was source. Perhaps a mere reflection of personal dissatisfaction with all political entities but still smarting from the disastrous impact of Corbyn & his far- left cronies that left me voteless.

1 Like

Fair enough re Starmer, though this illustrates the weakness of using Google to check something and going to the first entry, not least because many of these are paid adverts or worse (eg. those scams where people pay intermediary entities for services that are available for free on uk.gov).

However, Iā€™m afraid your Corbyn reference is a tad too opaque for me and needs some unpacking, because my current assessment of him is that despite being sincere and well-intentioned, he failed to achieve anything, let alone leaving someone ā€˜votelessā€™.

Statesman !!! He was the person in charge of CPS when they refused to indict Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE, he is a Zionist unlike Corbin who has been an Anti Zionist all his political life and supporting the underdog.
At least Lisa stood against the party line.
Starmer was the one who would not prosecute ā€œGoldā€ ( The now Commissioner of the Metpol) for the murder of **Jean Charles da Silva e de Menezes. It was Starmer who decided not to prosecute the police officer Simon Harwood in relation to the [death of Ian Tomlinson.
Yes very much a statesman I think not!!!

1 Like

The DPP is NOT a political appointment per se. The appointee is appointed by the Attorney General of the day and is NOT a politician.
Decision making is NOT in the gift off the Office holder as you suggest. It is made by reference to The Prosecution Policy and so your attack on Sir Kier Harmer is misplaced.

1 Like

In the Saville case there was not good evidence because of botched investigations by the police - in that situation bringing a case which is likely to fail will prejudice any further attempts to bring someone to justice. In fact it might even have meant that his crimes would not have come to light posthumously.

Unfortunately such nuance escapes most people - especially the media who just want to feed the mobā€™s thirst for blood.

5 Likes