UK voting for 15year plus leavers?

Don’t you visit the UK regularly? And are a frontalier? So you have the right to go to a UK dentist. Not that they are that much easier to find in the UK, but maybe a possibility.

After our local (previously v good) dentist drilled through OH’s tongue, and the other one is not taking new patients, we are seriously contemplating this. Or finding one in Paris.

I’ve been thinking about that as a possibiliy if it gets really acute but not having transport can mainly only do locally.

i have friends who seem to have recurring appointments prebooked at the hospital in Cahors so I might ask if i can tag along with them one day to see if there’s a dental dept there - though most of what I need needs to be part of a treatment plan.

I am sure Toulouse has such a facility in their hospital complex but that’s much further away and would involve an overnight.

But this “completes :rofl: the dental service in the Lot” by being reserved for v old, v young and disabled. Made me laugh. Where’s the rest of the service?

Yes I have considered this. But I have not visited the UK for well over 2 and a half years, transport is not easy and the costs particularly of accommodation there are out of control. My dentist would have me back for sure as a good very longstanding patient but multiple visits would be needed.

Plus as you’ve said there are less and less reasons to visit the UK as time goes on.

… Continues to astonish me how quickly and how far away from the original point these forums can go. Albeit here the original question was not phrased well (although the first reply did get the question right). So now we have had 20+ responses wittering on about dentistry…

Thats the beauty of questions, they can morph quickly into other topics but there is nothing to stop people from going back to the original topic and posting more.

2 Likes

Figeac - though thankfully not on the market…

This is from the House of Commons Library pages.

‘Votes for life’

"The Elections Act 2022 received Royal Assent on 28 April 2022. It includes provisions to removing the 15-year rule.

Manifesto commitments have been included in each Conservative Party manifesto since 2015 to remove the 15-year limit on overseas voter registration. This is the so-called ‘votes for life’ policy. The Labour Party favoured maintaining the 15-year limit.

The Government proposals would also allow all British citizens who had previously been resident in the UK to register, not just those who were registered before they left. Other changes are designed to make the renewal process easier for overseas voters.

These changes will not take effect immediately.

Detailed secondary legislation is required to implement many aspects of the new provisions. It is expected this will be brought forward in 2023 with newly eligible overseas voters eligible to vote in 2024."

I would very much like to have my vote back!

1 Like

They were right, dramatically, professionally and personally :joy:.

I do remember the beginning of Coronation Street. I remember Mum ironing and us both watching Ena Sharples and Mini Caldwell being evacuated to the parish hall due to a gas explosion. Ena said it was just like in the war. Exciting stuff at seven years of age :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Your post made me check if there’d ever been a mine in Salford, which seemed unlikely, but I was wrong - Pendleton Colliery in the 1820s - no doubt your life feels more fulfilled having learnt that.

However, I’m sure you and your fellow Media Studies cohort would have enjoyed the evening of augmented reality that I experienced in mid 1970s Manchester when the entire cast of Coronation St suddenly appeared en masse in Tommy Ducks, a real, rather louche Mancunian back street boozer (close to the old Granada TV studios)

1 Like

I wrote to the MP who represents my old constituency, and as usual he wasn’t interested in us. But his assistant said that the LibDems will vote against is because it is coupled with the ID thing for voters. I don’t understand that as that part was applied in the latest local and by elections. So it’s anyone’s guess as to whether we get the right to vote. Suspect not as there are so many of us brits living abroad who total more than 1 constituency and therefore dangerous for all parties!

I think there’s a case for the ECHR regarding witholding voting rights for citizens of voting age…

1 Like

Update on UK GE voting from the British Consulate newsletter, December 2023:

4. Votes for life

The Elections Act 2022 delivered the Government’s manifesto commitment to introduce ‘votes for life,’ expanding UK Parliamentary voting rights to all British citizens living overseas who have been previously registered or, if never registered, previously resident the UK. Currently, Overseas Electors’ right to vote expires 15 years after they last registered to vote as a resident in the UK.

Secondary legislation implementing the change has been laid in Parliament and, if approved by Parliament, the change will take place on 16 January 2024. Newly eligible applicants will then be able apply to be registered from 16 January 2024. As now, applicants can apply online or by paper form.

Ahead of these developments, the UK Government is developing the necessary changes to the Register to Vote service to allow all British Nationals living overseas to register. They require British Nationals (have a British passport or be a naturalised British citizen) living overseas (not in the UK) to try out the service for them. This is a trial only. It will not change any of the participants’ current voting arrangements – but it will be helping to make a very important service better for hundreds of thousands of people.

If you are happy to be part of this trial, please fill out this short survey before 19 December 2023.

There’s another thread on the trial, but it 19th today so finished

1 Like

Working for Boomers and with Millennials was a pain in the arse as both wanted constant status updates and team meetings.

Gen X me just wanted to be told what needed doing by when and left to get on with it.

It’s happened!

An interesting conversation ! Coal mines of Salford and Tommy Ducks in Manchester. All places I know. I thought vaguely that TD was going to be moved to a new location to save it, but I guess pulling it down was a cheaper option.

Pendleton Colliery was a coal mine on the Manchester Coalfield after the late 1820s. Whit Lane in Pendleton, in what was then Lancashire.

And Agecroft Colliery (in Pendlebury) was another Salford mine. It exploited the measures of the Lancashire coalfield between 1844 and 1932 and then in the late 1950s it exploited the deepest seams.

There was also Wet Earth Colliery on the Manchester Coalfield, in Clifton, Greater Manchester, one of the earliest pits in the country and now the area of Clifton Country Park. Wikipedia tells me it is the place where engineer James Brindley made water run uphill… I remember exploring the area as a site of industrial archeology, long after it had been closed down.

1 Like

I certainly know a lot more more about Tommy Duck’s than I do about Salford’s pits. I’d no idea that there were so many.

I was a Fine Art student at M/c Poly in the early Seventies and we’d always go to TD’s if we were having an evening in the city centre (lived in Whalley Range). My first lecturing job was at Salford College of Art in 1976 - John Cooper Clarke was a lab technician(!) at the adjoining Salford Tech and we used to hang out together over cigarette breaks. Still have his first EP on Rabid Records and had always assumed that it was really rare, but was recently surprised and a tad disappointed to learn that its current market price is about the same as when it was first released - nearly fifty years ago!

2 Likes

There were pits all over the area. I was born and brought up in a small town west of Bolton, not that far from Salford. There were a total of 26 pits dug there, the last of which closed in 1936.

1 Like

I was at Salford Uni in the 70s. There was No Uni accommodation for female students in those days so I lived in various digs and flats : Kersal, close to Agecroft, Chorlton, Swinton, Broughton. The Uni had great concerts in the Maxwell Hall. I remember Jethro Tull and Howling Wolf in particular, and the beer… The tradition continued with many more top bands. I believe it is still a very popular venue.
PS Reply intended for Dr Mark and Hairbear !

Huge thread drift… sorry!

2 Likes