User trial re voting in UK

This has popped up on British Embassy website looking for participants in a trial of overseas voting

Thank you Jane, for what it’s worth at this late stage, I’ve signed up. :smiley:

Nice one!

An easy way to possible make ten quid :joy:

Another thank you from me @JaneJones

All signed up.

Has anyone actually tried to do the trial? I tried and got this

“This website requires a username and password.

If you did not see a username and password popup, you must enable HTTP Basic Authentication or ask your IT provider to do so. You can try using a different browser.”

I stopped when they said the tenner would be paid using PayPal

I stopped worrying about receiving a tenner at that point. :rofl:

I’ve signed up. When will Michael Gove be contacting me I wonder?

After the election. He’ll have his collecting tin out wanting the tenner back. :smiley:

1 Like

My dilemma is whether or not to vote in any future UK GE. Don’t like abstaining on the usual grounds that ‘none of them are worth voting for’ or my vote counts for nothing. Neither do I feel that as a resident of France I shoudn’t be trying to influence UK politics. Instead, it’s a feeling that I don’t wish to have anything to do with the UK government beyond accepting my state pension payments. It no longer seems to be ‘my’ country the one that I knew, and I no longer want be part of its democratic processes.

2 Likes

That is exactly how I feel. Thirty years away from the UK, I have no interest in it apart from getting my paid-into state pension and really have no control over that either. Very sad to see the old country descend into such a state and only in it for themselves government members

2 Likes

I am one of the chosen ones!
I received my invitation to take part in the trial/survey today which closes tomorrow 19th December.
All completed and my £10 claimed which should arrive in my PayPal account in 2 weeks.
We shall see!

I did the trial this pm, having registered to participate several days ago, and received the invitation email to participate today.

Subject to my comments below, it was (fortunately) straightforward. (Jane, they provided me with the username etc in the actual joining instructions email today).

My only comments are that they really need to sort out the technology, as virtually every time you tried to enter a response in a click box, a totally irrelevant dialogue box would appear, which prevented me from either entering data or escaping. This got quite tedious and required more patience than is reasonable to avoid giving up. They should also say in advance a) how long it will take and b) what info you will need eg passport details, NI number, last known UK postcode, address etc…

Once you’ve done the trial, there is then a post trial review, which is mandatory if you want your PayPal tenner!

I’m still undecided as to whether to actually register to vote, as neither major party particularly appeals at present. Please don’t tell my Conservative to the core Mother!

Perhaps when technology is your thing you see where it can be improved ?
I found it easy and user friendly.
As a builder I listen and look at DIYers efforts which to them are perfect but I see room for improvement!
Edit:
They should also say in advance a) how long it will take and b) what info you will need eg passport details, NI number, last known UK postcode, address etc…

It did, they suggested 5 minutes but it did take a little longer.
It also listed the info you would need before you started.
Perhaps you missed the explanatory notes before clicking start?

[/quote]

Who cares if the tech is not good? Four minutes work amd a tenner awaits cannot be bad!

Thanks Jane

1 Like

This upsets me. I have one thing to say to you…TACTICAL VOTING!

4 Likes

That’s a fair point. I was thinking that Priti Patel’s majority (I was her constituent) at the last election was about 24,000, and was therefore impregnable. However I guess in the current climate, anything is possible, so will reconsider registering to vote…,

Entirely possible!

Yeah the notes on docs needed were indeed there.

It refused to upload my driving licence which was a small .jpg file.

For a government effort I thought it was pretty good.

@jjones will be annoyed that it doesn’t give us the chance to choose a constituency where your vote might make a difference - they are falling back on DWP records (and stated this) where they can’t match voting records.

I fed back that they should specify any file type and size limitations on files to upload. Also to please keep the UK voting system secure while opening it up in this way. oh, and do they really wsnt a free format foreign address box and do they want to allow all special charcters in that box [generally unwise]

I wish someone like @Badger could fill it out and give feedback as he really knows this stuff :slight_smile:

Wait until you get your tenner perhaps?

A doddle. I’m impressed they are running a pilot. When it comes to the real thing finding proof of my old address could be difficult. It was in Ladbroke Grove and on a wander down memory lane there last summer I couldn’t even remember the exact number of the house. I might have some official docs somewhere.