Unreported seismic shift

The city where I was born Paul…lots of controversy surrounding the discovery of his body…strange to think he could have laid there all those years…and that I might have regularly parked on top of him…Also lady Jane grey the nine day queen beheaded before she reached 18…terrible what went on…

2 Likes

no matter your country everyone is entitled to an opinion us brits have enough onions (opinons) about France!!

1 Like

This is possibly true, Tim, the Royals are “interesting” to former colonial subjects, but that doesn’t connote respect or admiration for any or all of them. Some former colonial subjects, like my wife who grew up in Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia, experienced repression and humiliation at the hands of the colonial master race for years, and had to balance the ostensible benefits afforded to those who submitted to their subordinate status, and to grin and bear it. But they will never forget the indignities they had to bear, and their loftily assumed inferiority.

Windrush shows that this is still alive and well in British life, but the worm is turning.

This continued assumption of the white races of their incontrovertible superiority and right to rule and order the affairs of less developed peoples is still entrenched in the psyche of many of our compatriots. But it is utter folly, I believe, as my black wife and mixed-race adult children have demonstrated to me, to my shame and dishonour, and to my reclaiming what it means to be human.

My African wife knows more about the Royals than most British, but she does not consider any of them her superiors in any respect, only that she is their equal and that she deserves their respect of her, if respect is to have any meaning at all on the face of the earth.

2 Likes

Forget worldwide appeal Peter, the vast majority of the UK public are happy for the Windsors to continue so these conversations are pointless really.

1 Like

Would you produce the evidence in support of your claim that the Battenbergs are popular in a huge number of countries across the world.

1 Like

Can’t produce real numbers but just read this -

Love a piece of Battenberg.

I believe the majority of the British Public are completely apathetic about the Royals, know they exist, of course and thats it, except when there is an Earth Shaking event like we have just experienced, when the '‘good news’ is is rammed down them.
Same applies to the rest of the World.
And Tim that article, is complete ‘flannel’.:rofl:

Mmmm… reading this from top to bottom… phew, what a lot of differing opinions…

I would be interested to know if the various newspapers, which carried a “first photo” of the new royal baby, actually sold more copies than usual on that occasion … :thinking:

Hello Stella
Nice to see you back, hope that you and the OH had a restful time with friends and that your ‘batteries’ are now charged !
The royal baby, that’s nothing, just wait until the BIG day of the wedding arrives :wink: :wedding::bride_with_veil:

3 Likes

I’m on countdown as are Bill M and Peter G.:wink:

1 Like

Cann’t find a ‘Yawn’ emoji :wink:

2 Likes

Come on Bill don’t be like that, it’s only a bit of fun.

Perfect Chris :rofl:

Now come on boys, I will be having a look, if only to comment on dresses, flowers etc; …
Think I will stock up on some rosé wine for me and mum and for once I will be glued to French television. If all you ‘boys’ don’t like it then I suggest (politely) that you go and play with your balls (in the nicest possible sense) as James has a page ready for you …:wink::wine_glass::rofl:

5 Likes

For Charles and Diana’s wedding… we had the pub open all day with a huge TV in the top bar… it was a fabulous time for the whole village… whether royalist or not… :hugs::relaxed:

:rofl:

Goodness Timothy you must be desperate for some excitement in your life.

2 Likes

Nothing much happens in these parts so I have to find enjoyment elsewhere!

Think I would have to consider moving, if there were so little stimulation Tim :slightly_smiling_face: