Uprating of pensions

CdS = Carte de Séjour

Perhaps repeating what others have said.
With no vote (after 15 years I have lost mine) what British politician or Government will care about British pensioners living “in foreign lands”

Even with a vote they don’t seem to care a stuff about me right now!

How much of an income does a person require to live as an EU citizen in France?:kissing::thinking:

There are no conditions once you have lived here, en règle, for five years.

Do you need a minimum income for that first five years?:thinking:

Now that I do not know - but if you have a look at the link somewhere above posted by Jeanette Leuers, it should give you the information you need.

1 Like

OK, thanks, I’ll have a look.

2 Likes

Yes if you are an “inactif”, ie retired. Depends on age and how many people in your household, but for a single person over 65 it’s 868€/month and for a couple over 65 it’s 1347€/month. - so a bit more than the basic Uk state pension at today’s exchange rates.

(Edit: just looked at your previous posts - you have German nationality so like Jeanette this is all irrelevant for you. You have the right to live in France. )

1 Like

John! Its different as Jane and Vero say…if you have German nationality. Took me ages to discover/feel safe with…“being a permanent European”… Very different approach to Brexited Brits, especially ‘no deal’ brexited Brits…, and members of EU… As you are, as a German.
I grew up with the sheer terror of even thinking, for a moment, of myself as “German”! Its still traumatic, as an ancient fogie. I was an Infant in London during the years when the liberation of concentration camps, was taking place, and my ma was scared of being accused of " collaborator " having married a German. (Although pa was born in London).

Thanks girls, that’s good to know. The impression that I got, just traveling around, is that a person needs a minimum income no matter where they come from or they can only stay for 3 months, but this was just talking to people who were very fuzzy about the rules.

Jeanette, thankfully all that is behind us and now that we can travel and meet foreigners, and find out their characters and opinions first hand.

1 Like

Yes indeed! John! However, no, it isn’t all behind us. I don’t plan to forget the past as if it never happened, and don’t hope for anyone else to do so. The danger of heavy right wing influence around the world doesn’t seem to me to have gone away. With Trump and the flourishing of yet more facist thinking, not one of us can be peacefully apathetic.
I profoundly regret taking so long to understand even a little, of all that happened.
Of course …its vital, to get to know people, to care about people, as individuals. I’m very proud of my son who lectures in cross cultural studies, now, in Japan, and with Japanese as his first language. Two beautiful Japanese/Brit children and a very dear Japanese wife. I visit whenever I can. I’m looking forward to a trip to my grandparents village near Düsseldorf, now that buses are so cheap and go EVERYWHERE!!

Yes, there are still danger to de addressed from extremists on every side, what I meant was that the horrors of the second world war are now behind us. I don’t wish to forget the suffering nor the lessons learned, some of which for me are, bad things happen when people go against their conscience and support their government through loyalty. and believing everything that the media puts out without question. :thinking:

1 Like

There is a big difference between forgetting and letting go.
Letting go of fear ,anger, hatred or betrayal does not mean that one forgets, it just means that you are ready to move on, so you don’t let it ruin or impact on the rest of your life.

1 Like

Yes quite :smiley:

1 Like

@JaneJones just reviewing this thread and your comment quoted came to mind.
Does your husband get “life certificate” requests? If so, he must be on the abroad register since pensioners in the UK AFAIK don’t get them. That might indicate the accuracy or otherwise of the pension database.

Phew, cheers Graham… amongst the build up of holiday post was a PoL for OH, which I pushed to one side.

Will get it done today… and this one is letting us send a scan via email… yippee.

Good point Graham. And yes, he does get PoL requests. So my great hope that he could escape any unfair restriction for those abroad foreign is down the drain! :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I just found this. I don’t know who Brian Brown is, but he seems to have done his homework.

Brian Brown

1 day ago

The list does not include UK’s crime against its own Frozen Pensioners which violates United Nations Social Covenant on Human Rights (Articles 9-12), the Commonwealth Charter, and even British MPs Code of Conduct. This is the cime of denying pensioners their annual state pension increases if they retire to a ‘wrong’ country, such as most of the countries of the Commonwealth, among many others.Interestingly, UK does not apply this frozen pension rule for ex-pat pensioners in Israel (but it does in Palestine); in USA (but it does in Canada); and Philippines (though it does in the rest of Asia).As a result of this policy, the countries of residence of the ex-pat pensioners are deprived of direct annual income - the extra pensions which would be spent in local markets. For South Africa alone, this equates to around R3 billion every year. The policy has operated for more than 60 years and is still in place today!Looking back to its introduction in 1955, UK Parliamentary records reveal that no valid reasons were ever given for the policy and you have to look at the current events at the time to understand that this was another facet of Colonialism. Following the end of WW2, former dominated countries were pressing for independence from British Colonial rule, much to Churchill’s and the British government’s concern. How would Britain grow its post-war economy without the forced exports to the Empire? The answer was to try to scare countries into opting out of independence, and scare Brits into staying in UK to spend their hard-earned pensions rather than spend them overseas, often in countries where family had been located through the British emmigration policies - countries of the Empire and now of the Commonwealth.This is not a covert British ‘two-fingers’ to international law as many are on the list provided. This is a policy known to all the governments which suffer from the Frozen Pensions policy, yet no government has demanded that the United Nations call UK to account. The UN will not do that independently because UK is a major contributor to its running costs! That’s how international law works!President Ramaphosa could - and should - demand an end to the policy which deprives the SA economy of R3 billion a year, and this is a good time when UK is desparate for more trade agreements with South Africa - no trade agreement without an end to Frozen Pensions for British ex-pats in SA. Think how many jobs and/or houses an extra R3 billion a year could provide!