Using Revolut App

Hi first post. I have opened a Revolut account . I am looking at paying my small uk pension into this as i am currently getting charged almost 20€ a month by my french bank who aren’t interested in changing the situation. Would the pension have to be changed into euros or can I use a sterling wallet to receive the payment into Revolut without converting the currency. I can’t find any info on their website for this situation. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this . I have no accounts etc in UK.

You can pay into your sterling Revolut account using the sort code & account number associated with it, you can then exchange it into your Euro account.

You then have options to spend the money from there using debit card etc or move it to a French bank account.

To find your sterling Revolut account details - select your sterling account - then under three dots select details-sort code and account number are then shown.

Thanks for responding. I have a euro Revolut account as I put money into it from my french bank. Sorry to be so dense but do I create a sterling account by exchanging some of that money into sterling? I’ve lived in France for nearly twenty years and only started getting an old work related pension from UK recently. So completely new to this.

Where to total for your Euro account is click on the down arrow, then New - and select a sterling account.

You will then be able to see the sort code and account no.

Wise and Starling come highly recommended for such problems.

One or two on here might disagree, but there are too many stories of Revolut suspending people’s accounts out of the blue. They are hard to communicate with, can take ages to respond, generally a nightmare to deal with (a bit like Paypal) when anything goes wrong.

Thanks Mat I got there . Got myself a sterling account following your instructions.
Just need to give the pension people local codes and not swift. I’ll ring them as they sent me an international mandate.
Thanks again for your help.

Hi Karen thanks for the information. I was aware of the problems re communication and a little anxious about my mini pension being paid direct to them. But I will find it useful for visits and exchanging with family and friends who are in UK so on balance I decided to go with them.

I can only speak from my experience and I have found then excellent. They were stunning when my card was cloned - new card issued and refunds all within 20 minutes.

I now use Revolut for day to day banking and not just exchanging money which was why I started with them.

1 Like

Agree - no problems with them - I have held an account from the time they opened…

As pointed out on many occasions much of this is unverified comment and more than likely false witness encouraged by competing fintechs. Where accounts have been closed or money seized it probably more likely relates to attempts at money laundering or other unverifiable funds where Revolut are complying strictly (perhaps more than most) with the law.

Hard evidence rather than anecdotal regurgitation by miffed potential money launderers or people trying to buck the system?
In my personal experience, like @Mat_Davies and many others, Revolut have always responded to any query promptly and in a timely fashion.
I have no hesitation in recommending them and have no concerns about the funds I have have placed with them.

3 Likes

Whilst I appreciate you are asking about Revolut… I note your comment about your French Bank.

CAgricole did start making charges against our money coming from UK … but when they finally understood it was Pension, they stopped charging.

That was some years ago… but they’re still not charging (despite Brexit :wink:)
So not all Banks are “bad guys”…

I agree with those that have written positively about Revolut. It’s a very slick system, once you get the hang of it. It’s not particularly intuitive, to my mind - I ‘practiced’ with small sums like £10 - it’s one of those E.W.K. [easy when known] situations.

The only thing that has disappointed me is the loss of £100 which I somehow credited to some other Rev a/c. Lloyds, the paying bank, and Rev both know the a/c which received the money but apparently it is up to the a/c holder to come fwd, which they have been asked to do but declined. This despite it being a criminal offence to retain money that you know is not yours.

But all in all, an excellent system

threaten both with legal action if they don’t disclose the details and if you do know who received the money, sue them (and the banks ex parte) for recovery. That just might focus minds :wink:

2 Likes

Oddly, both banks say they can do no more. For £100 I might get in far too deep with costs.

Now, when £52k arrived out of the blue into my IF a/c, years ago, when they asked for it back, I gave it back. I waited to see how long it would take to contact me … Three days. Ah well…

Hi , I did not say or even imply all french banks are “bad guys”. That’s why i didn’t name the bank and simply mentioned they were french to be clear that I only have a french bank account…
Unfortunately for me the bank i have been with for nearly 20 years and who are a CA branch continue to make additional charges and are fullly aware that my pension is a UK local government pension. I have given up trying to resolve the situation which has been going on since last January with them and am in the process of looking for alternatives.

Of course you didn’t… and I didn’t mean to imply that you did… :+1:

It’s crazy that one branch will be so unhelpful… and another completely the opposite.
Likewise with Banks… some are marvellous and others a pain in the neck.

last January… was this January 2021… ie after Brexit deadlines… ? might that be their reasoning (no idea, just grabbing at feathers flying…)

I have a UK Govt Service pension which I have paid in GBP to my Revolut account. I did explore the possibility of asking the pension provider to pay in EUR to my French Bank A/c (Banque Populaire) but the exchange rate was usually derisory and often less than I could achieve managing the exchange myself with Revolut, so I didn’t bother. OTOH, our UK State (old age) pensions are paid in Euro direct to our BPop account in full with no fees incurred at a reasonable exchange rate - bearing in mind UK Govt forward purchasing options. As you now have a Revolut GBP wallet, you could try a small exchange to EUR and then poke that in EUR to your CA account as a trial run to see the effect.

Be aware that if you send GBP from your Revolut GBP wallet to a Sterling UK bank in GBP, you will incur currency charges - AFAIK, the same principle exists with Wise. The outbound transactions are seen by the fintechs as international transactions and thus fee incurring.

I wasn’t aware of this - is it new? Sending £ from Revolut to a UK £ account will incur a charge?

Yes, one of their most recent fee changes allowed only one free ‘international transfer’ per month I think, and the U.K. is now considered international for Revolut customers resident in the EU, be it directly due to brexit itself or indirectly due to our ‘bank’ now being Lithuanian rather than British. It definitely was one free per month, but it may even have changed again and now be no free at all, I’m not sure.

1 Like

I’m not sure when it was introduced to be honest @Mat_Davies - certainly after Brexshit and I fell foul of it when sending some GBP to my DIL and didn’t notice the fee until I pressed the relevant send tit. It wasn’t much - just a few pence ISTR and a similar amount would have been charged if the transaction had been done with Wise anyway.
I had cleaned the UK Sterling account out as the GBP-EUR rate was favourable at the time :roll_eyes:
The basic account will allow 2k€ per month currency transfer without a fee (which is then charged on a %age basis) but the GBP to GBP fee is a fixed amount IIRC and not dependant on the other. If you perceive a need to regularly send GBP to UK, best to plan ahead and keep some in a UK bank account perhaps. The App tells you when the next fee reset date is (usually a calendar month from the last reset date).