Violence between Chechens and Algerians in Dijon

Over the weekend and on Monday there were running battles between armed Chechens and the police after a sixteen year old Chechen boy was attacked, by Algerian drug dealers according to the Chechens.
Property was attacked and a pizza shop owner shot, cars were set alight and also a dramatic car crash
Chechens came from all over France and Belgium, 150 people assembled according to the police and shots were fired into the air. Later there were 200 hooded, masked and armed men on the streets of Dijon.
Incredibly, no one was arrested, but the police protested that they were no longer allowed to use choke holds and that order was rescinded.
This is the capital city of Burgundy and I, for one, find it frightening that this is allowed to happen.
How can Chechens, who are well known to be volatile, be allowed to come onto the streets armed and firing kalashnikovs and no arrests made?
Riot police were present and if this wasn’t within their remit, what on earth is?
We now seem to be facing a situation where because of past police violence, they are being told to hold back and gang law rules the streets.

The Police unions are very powerful in France @Jane_Williamson and this was perhaps their only opportunity (other than throwing their handcuffs on the ground) to challenge the decision by Christophe Castaner which I now see has been reversed:

That is fine, but they didn’t arrest anyone!

…but they no doubt gained a lot of intelligence for use another day :wink:
The commander on the ground may have taken the view that going in hard might have ended in a veritable bloodbath so exercised caution. Who knows.
I remember encountering protests in the Allier 10 years ago where (IIRC) lorry drivers set fire to huge heaps of tyres on the carriageway with Gendarmes looking on apparently doing nothing and farmers tipping huge dung heaps on town hall steps in protests but it’s the way of France.

One would hope that they already had sufficient intelligence on any Chechen communities, which are spread throughout France.
I can understand reluctance, but I hope that they go in and pick up these thugs and also the Algerian drug dealers.
By the way, we still do not know the names of the gendarmes who shot and killed our neighbour when they were supposed to be on the lookout for him as a potential suicide.
This is the problem, they look after their own and to hell with the rest of us.

This was gang warfare on the streets of a French major city and it needs to be held in check as Marine le Pen rushed there to make political capital out of it.

1 Like

Who would want to be a policeman/woman now? The genie is out of the bottle and whatever they do going forward they’re going to be wrong, yesterday during the medial staff protests in Paris a 52 year old nurse was caught on film throwing projectiles at the police and making obscene gestures, she was subsequently grabbed by several riot police and there is a public outcry over her treatment yet her actions are seen as acceptable or ignored.

I heard that she was pulled b y her hair and then hit with a baton.

In the video I seen she was arrested firmly I saw no baton strikes. However the film shows her hurling projectiles at the police and making gestures at the police

Quite right, she threw something or other at the police and gave the French equivalent of the two finger sign. I didn’t see the police strike her but one had hold of her hair. She intimidated police who retaliated, after being threatened with projectiles, probably stones so what are they expected to do ?

1 Like

It is also worth pointing out she has long hair it would be hard it avoid it when getting hold of her

Sounds a little like some British people where doing in the 80s in the the costas

If they were GIGN perhaps there is a security reason why they have not been named… without knowing the full circumstances of their intervention, it’s impossible to be objective in such cases.

1 Like

They were local gendarmes from Cluny who had been charged with finding him.
They were murderers plain and simple.
There was no side to any of this.

1 Like

I repeat without knowing the full circumstances of their intervention, it’s impossible to be objective in such cases.
If he wanted to die what is to say that he didn’t point a gun at the Gendarmes who acted quite lawfully in their own defence? Did you see the shooting or are you just going on local folklore?
I’d advise you to be very careful about accusing local police of being murderers in a public forum without the evidence to back it up…

2 Likes

Suicide by cop isn’t unheard of

2 Likes

He was having his cattle inspected and, as usual, he was not in agreement with the way that the officials dealt with him.
His cattle were herded and ran into wire. Our Mayor was there and so I know what happened. Our neighbour was bipolar and he took off in his car. There was a general alert out for him as it was felt he might commit suicide and the local gendarmes were on the look out for him for his own safety. , so they knew the registration and description of his car. He was spotted in a quiet lane and the gendarmes went to investigate. He drove away from them and they put three bullets into him through the back of the car.
We understand that the gendarmes have been moved away from Cluny, but to date we know nothing about their whereabouts or names.
Is this enough information for you?
I thought you might have accepted my word.

1 Like

Hearsay not evidence.

So the mayor (sic) wasn’t there at the shooting…

You were present at the autopsy and were given access to the report on the cause of death?

If you or your friend le maire have evidence that he was killed unlawfully, what steps have either of you taken to bring the matter before the investigating magistrate because without a hearing and a conviction, it is very unwise to call people murderers.

2 Likes

I really cannot believe what I am seeing here, as well as those who have also liked this post.

There has been a judicial investigation and a re-enaction and we still do not know the names of those gendarmes involved in the shooting and the bullets from one of the gendarmes gun matched the three found in his back

It is now three years since Jerome was murdered and this is all being buried in typical French paperwork.There have been demonstrations in Macon and Trivy and articles in the National Press. Liberation has been trying to follow the case. The Association of Peasant Farmers is very closely involved.

His sister is an avocat and yet she is making no progress.

Your assertion that I am almost making it up, I find extremely offensive and not worthy of the terms of reference of Survive France.

3 Likes

I cannot believe that the Police in France actually think that the use of ‘choke hold’ is a justifiable means of arresting anybody. ‘Reasonable force’ is what the UK Police base their arrests on. What is ‘reasonable’ under the circumstances? If the Police officer is in extreme danger, then they can shoot them. If the Police officer can detain somebody without having to resort to that, then that is what they should do or they face punishment themselves. The violence talked about above between Chechens and Algerians in Dijon is public disorder at the very least and arrests should have been made. If people are allowed to behave in this manner and the Police do nothing, it will just encourage further disorder. If the Police are frightened to act because of a certain few who have overstepped the mark then we’re all done for.

1 Like