Violence between Chechens and Algerians in Dijon

but I fear these days Eddie any body worn video evidence would be so punctuated with expletives about the state of marriage and sexual behaiviour of the Officer’s parents that it would even make Russell Brand and Ricky Gervais blush let alone the magistrate :crazy_face: :smiley:

1 Like

Nothing will change until the police are stopped from investigating themselves and complaints are investigated by a third party and your comments totally reinforce the need for that.
You seem to think that those who call for sanctions for the police who go too far do not acknowledge the good that their fellow officers do.
When we had Operation Midland, even when the Met knew that they had been taken for fools, they took so long to tell the people who they had charged that they were innocent that Leon Brittain died not knowing that his name had been cleared.

1 Like

Are you referring to here in France or in the UK? The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC formally IPCC) investigate the Police. They are as their title says, independent of the Police. They investigate more serious offences, some of which are automatically referred by the Police irrespective of any complaints that may have been made.

1 Like

I think she is mixing things up @Gilly2. She talks of the Gendarmes but refers in support of her argument to the Met Police in London and a former Home Secretary in Margaret Thatchers time as PM.
Things as you say are quite different here in France.
AFAIK the Gendarme do not investigate themselves but there is a proper judicial process involving examining magistrates and the judiciary.
Reference
There is a proper time and place for making complaints against Police or Gendarme and this forum is not the place. If she and her local maire have evidence of Gendarme wrong doing it should be dealt with according to legal process - which it seems it has and lack of evidence has meant that no further action has or can be taken.
Jane perhaps wishes also to accuse the legal process as corrupt and she (and her maire) should have deep pockets before embarking on wild accusations and goose chases.

1 Like

To compare policing in the UK and France isn’t even like comparing apples and oranges,so different are they.
The IOPC In the UK are very independent of policing and police officers sometimes they seem to go out of their way to be so

I also worry about her motives in obsessing about the names of the Gendarme involved. To what purpose?
The proper authorities will well know who was involved in the incident at all stages and Jane or her maire not knowing the names of those involved will not impact on any investigation.
I am also concerned about her maire; with the level of responsibilities he has for local policing isn’t it somwhat inappropriate for him to share any private thoughts about the matter with the local populace? If he can’t keep his own counsel on such matters then could he well be regarded as a loose canon and acting ultra vires? Dangerous territory IMHO.

I always thought the French police were really tough. These pictures are really shocking, it could be any lawless country, not France. Why didn’t the police shoot at these people, they were acting like terrorists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7_Mw22rDR4

so, a bullet ricochets off an object and kills some innocent bystander or pierces the window of an adjacent property and kills or injures someone sitting in their lounge watching telly totally innocently?
This is France not Trump’s wild west circus…

1 Like

It takes about 30 seconds to find the basics via Google - Jerome Laronze.

To be fair it does appear to have fallen down the rabbit hole of inconvenient truths with the investigation - although the stories are more nuanced than suggested it does give the impression of trigger happy cops.

1 Like

Because France is not a lawless country.

2 Likes

You mean a terrorist bullet I presume.

why should you presume that?

You can think what you like Graham, I am not mixing things up.
No matter the country bad policing needs independent investigation.

I have told you the truth and if the Prosecutor did not see a case to take forward, who are you to gainsay her?

I am not obsessing about knowing the names of the gendarmes involved.
If any crime has been committed it is in the public interest to know who has committed that crime, citizen or police. Keeping the names of these two gendarmes secret is not in the public interest.
You know nothing about our Mayor or about the other people involved in the false accusations against me and I see nothing humble in your opinions.
It is quite obvious that you have not, like Chris Elliott, taken the trouble to look up the case of Jerome Laronze.
He was a lovely man. He helped us rescue our dog from being shot and used to bring his nieces to our house to play with her.

1 Like

No he doesn’t. If you shoot a bullet at anything especially in an urban environment there is a high likelihood of ricochet ie bullets bouncing off hard surfaces and going in unexpected directions, causing collateral damage ie killing or wounding innocent people. Anyone trained in the lawful use of firearms knows that, so they avoid shooting unless they absolutely have to.
(There are exceptions).

1 Like

I’m not - I’m agreeing with the prosecutor! If she sees no case to take forward then that is her decision :roll_eyes:
I’ve got other things to do and going round in circles with you is not on the list of my priorities.

1 Like

It is an awful case, it’s very good that Reporterre actually took it as far as they got, but it is shocking and it certainly still needs a proper investigation.

But there does seem to be a big lack of evidence Vero.

1 Like

There is no lack of evidence Peter.
There were two gendarmes in a country lane and our neighbour ended up dead with three bullets in his back.

1 Like