Visit to a letting agency

I visited a a perfect little flat to rent in a short term while I buy a house. A ‘friend’ who had been sheltering me during Lockdown was quite happy to write a cheque to send me on my way, but has gone very quiet when I explain to him, money isn’t everything. The letting agent wants, perfectly reasonably and anticipated by me, a letter to say I have been staying at his house for the last 5 months, and a guarantor. i took all the paperwork and proof of some allocations I receive to the appointment. They refused me and directed me to the homeless charities, which turn out to be closed until September. The only other person I could think of to ask to be guarantor , is my son with my grandchildren, but I don’t like to ask as he has been hateful towards me, which is why I left last March
What should I do ?

It’s unclear in which country (UK or France) you are wanting the short term rental. Perhaps you could offer to pay 6 months rent in advance? This should give you time to purchase a house etc.

Sorry but I really don’t think a forum like this is the place to sort your problems out

8 Likes

Look at Airbnb places for a room in someone’s house?

The law in France gives quite a bit of tenant protection so landlords are cautious as they can have difficulty getting people out. And being a guarantor is taken seriously. But a lodger is a different proposition as not a protected tenancy.

4 Likes

Hello Joyce, Sorry to confuse you but I thought I was clear enough as to which country I was referring to, as I posted my query on a forum called’ Survive FRANCE ’ .
The agency said I don’t have enough money to pay electricity bills and frais d’agence on top. They could see the money I have in French accounts is ample.

1 Like

Really Veronica this is not the place you need

3 Likes

Thank you Jane

Thank you Jane.

you could try your Mairie and ask for an appointment with the Assistant Sociale…

they might be able to help you.

3 Likes

Actually… our discussions do cover several countries across the world… and it is not always an easy thing to keep up with … :wink: :upside_down_face: :relaxed: :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thank you Stella, it is on my to-do list of jobs .

You don’t have to participate if it offends you.

Not offended Norman Concerned like the 7 people who liked my post

1 Like

I’m sorry Norman, I don’t understand

@jane4

Veronica… Norman was replying to someone else… :wink:

have a good weekend… :relaxed:

My comment was addressed to that of Eddie - ot at least that was my intention.

Might be a better expression of your concern.to address it to the person you’re concerned about by Private Message rather than In public Eddie. That’s what I did, not that it made much difference. It seems that Veronica likes to cast a wide net… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ok, I wondered if I had overstepped the mark, the humidity is getting to me, my thoughts aren’t always calm and considered. I didn’t realise Survive France is for other countries… have I missed a clue ?
There are however, reliable , calm and considered users of this forum that offer positive answers. I would like to convey my gratitude.
best wishes
Veronica

1 Like

Well, I will say the same thing to those 7 people? I it bothers you then don’t participate in reading about someone else seeking advice.

My word we do have sensitive souls here don’t we?

As far as I am concerned the only censorship I accept here is from either Catharine or James - it is their site.

I saw no censorship

1 Like