Visit to a letting agency

Hi Veronica, from what I can gather your income has to be three times the rent.

I thought I had replied to Norman in pm. Clearly I was mistaken

I don’t know if this is going to viewed privately or wider, but thank you Jackie.

1 Like

To remind you, Veronica, everything you post directly to this site will be capable of being seen by all SF subscribers, and may provoke à response.

If you want to speak privately to another subscriber you must send them a private message , so it will benefit you to acquaint yourself with how to do that, and save yourself further worry.

2 Likes

You are right Peter, but doesn’t that somehow break down the whole point and purpose of a Social media source?

Veronica was asking for advice openly as she didn’t know where to look or who to ask? that seems a perfectly logical thing to do, and I am sure many of us have done the same thing?

2 Likes

I have just moved in to a little apartment, The agency informed me I have to contact EDF myself. EDF inform me the earliest they can switch the electricity back on is Wednesday. I have complained to the agency, whose reply to everything is “Je suis désolée”. Having been a landlord myself, I would have felt awful and would have offered a goodwill gesture. I asked the agency for candles , they replied that they are not allowed to give me candles. EDF would charge me a premium for connecting me any sooner.
The agency did just ring back to say they have spoken to the landlord but there are no other appartments available.
Does anyone have a similar experience ?

Sorry to say Veronica, but EDF are one of the few companies In France that in my opinion abuse their monopolistic position at every turn! As a for instance we had a new heat pump put in at the instigation of the Government, and supported by three bodies for different amounts, which left us with about €2500 out of our own pockets. The largest of the support companies was/is EDF. We have received the rebates from the other two entities involved but despite repeated requests/demands that EDF cough up their share, so far nothing but excuses and evasions. The pump was fitted in December last year!

I would suggest you talk to a local electrician who might be able to find a way round the problem. Note, this was actually suggested to us by EDF ‘Helpline’ during a recent power cut that according to EDF simply hadn’t happened!

sadly there are a few companies here that have a contempt for the Customers they have, Orange is another.
Good luck:

We have a rental apartment, and we leave the tenants to sort out their electricity supply. They would be told if the supply was not on when they agreed to sign the contract, so would have time to sort it before moving in or agree a moving in date to suit. We intervene promptly if there are problems caused by neighbours (like water drippimg into flat from above) but otherwise expect the tenants to organise themselves.

Oh dear, Veronica

You do seem to be having a tough time.

EDF won’t give you candles, probably since if the place caught fire, they might be liable… who knows.

There is possibly an EDF emergency service … ask you Mairie for help… perhaps they can advise you.

These are edf 's timescales for connecting new supplies
https://energie-reduc.com/actualite/delais-mise-en-service-edf
There are options.
The advice on this website is to plan ahead.
Are you saying edf are not meeting their commitments?

@Veronica_Durkin

I’ve just seen this Jane… sorry, but it is up to you… pay it or wait…

1 Like

Look to rent from a expat they are many with empty gites from now on and they don’t ask for anything

I believe that some gîtes are only allowed to be rented for holidays…
ie not to someone who does not have a permanent address…

just something to be aware of… when enquiring…

:thinking: :thinking:

Allot do It on the black and no one checks

Our neighbours are still waiting for their 'phone lines to work even though Orange say they have sorted out the problem.
That was sInce the 15th December 2019!

Mmm… @Jane_Williamson… misunderstanding I think

I was replying to @Veronica_Durkin and her problem with EDF (electrics)… :thinking: :thinking:

No I don’t think so, I was just pointing out how long you might have to wait for services in France.

2 Likes

I hope your neighbours do get sorted soon, Jane… must be tearing their hair out…

Have Orange engineers actually visited the house to check that the supply is arriving there (since they seem to think everything has been done…)

1 Like

Not likely, the engineer said that they could not really tell which line goes to which house and the exchange via which our new lines have been diverted is really not fit for purpose.

ah… that is a mare’s nest then… good grief :thinking: :frowning_face: