Visit to a letting agency

More like a wasp’s nest this summer!

Unfortunate for them if anything goes wrong.

Possibly not the best idea to encourage people to carry out illegal activity. Gîtes can only be rented to people who have a primary residence elsewhere for a max of 3 months, otherwise it is not a gîte but an assured tenancy with minimum contract of 12 months (which can be terminated early by agreement). And there have been many stories of gite owners agreeing to a short term let, often over winter, and then not being able to get rid of people afterwards. And stories of neighbours dobbing in the owners…

And if they go further and accept cash payments then they risk quite a lot if by any chance they are found out. That sort of fraud is taken very seriously here.

3 Likes

That is rather what I meant. And I think it serves all concerned right.

Just spelling it out so people are under no illusions. Not quite the same, but employing a fellow british (or other non-french) worker under the table is a specific reason for one’s carte de séjour to be taken away. Not worth the risk right now!

1 Like

I thought perhaps the agency might have offered something for light. They were quite happy to sign the tenancy and take upfront payment knowing there wasn’t electricity supplied. What if I twisted my ankle in the dark ?
Apart from the light problem, it’s good practice drinking water, black coffee in moderation, only buying food that doesn’t require heating, cooking or refrigeration. Keeping a few dairy products, soup and salad vegetables cool in the sink.
Roll on having a garden with nut and cherry trees and room for a potager to be as self sufficient as possible soon !

Hi Veronica… the nub of the situation is… you signed the lease and the electricity (or lack of it) is your responsibility…

Many folk will know just what it is like, when Electricity is not available… or fails.

It can be a challenge, but seems you have found a way to cope…

best of luck

1 Like

@Veronica_Durkin you might be interested in this handy little gadget which retails at about €5 and would take cheap supermarket batteries until you get the juice switched on, when it converts to rechargeable batteries (already supplied).

Hate to think of you stumbling about in the dark and spraining your ankle or worse!

You’d look good in it too, like an Asian frelon on steroids, bound to frighten any intruders!

Peter, these led light torches are incredible, I now have these dotted about the house and in the car (one with a flashing option) and as you say those with rechargeable batteries are great. Actually even cheaper on eBay - anything from a coupleof euros upwards (and delivered free from China!)

Just a point on typos - I just created a new one when I typed ‘uncredible’ - but when I think of it makes more sense doesn’t it?

1 Like

They work on the principle that you are a grown-up and can sort yourself out to avoid doing that, and that if you do twist your ankle you can deal with it. It really really isn’t their problem, any more than eg making sure you have adequate loo-roll is their business.

5 Likes

I think my breezy suggestion to Veronica missed its target, don’t you? It was supposed to be helpful in a slightly acidic way, but I must be losing my arachnoidally venomous sting.

How many precious faculties shall I have left by my 83rd next year I shudder to think, but even a shudder has run its course before it reaches knee level these days… :roll_eyes:

Peter, if I had the skilz I’d photoshop your profile pic to show you wearing one :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Veronica_Durkin I’m really sorry that you are arriving to such a stressful situation but also a bit shocked that you hadn’t done the basic research about taking on a rental. As others have said it is totally up to you, no one ‘owes’ you anything, you are expected to organise it yourself before you move in, or stay elsewhere if need be. Sounds like it is very upsetting for you but please take a deep breath and understand this is how it is and you just didnt’ realise this. Can you go and stay with friends / in a cheap hotel or b and b until it is on? Chin up, you’ll be fine once it is all sorted and you can start your new life in your new flat how you dreamed it would be xx

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I’ve only rented once before in England.
When I’ve let property, the tenants make a note of the meter : - the electric supply stayed on. So if repairs need to be carried out in-between tenants, the supply can be relied on for tools and kettle.
Has anyone noticed how small print should now be called infinitely impossible -to- read minute print ?!

Here the contract is specific to the person doing the renting which is why it is a bit more fiddly - you’d think now with linky meters and IT it would be just a formality but no.

The other reason to leave electricity on in between tenants is to use a timer switch for lights, so as to avoid advertising an empty property to undesirables.

1 Like

But it adds a small fire risk from dodgy timers, so I wouldn’t bother.

@Veronica_Durkin

today is Friday…

I believe you said the electricity would be switched ON on Wednesday… so I am presuming all is now well with you …???

cheers

Yes thank you !

1 Like