Waiting for the diagnostic: sign compromis in 1 week. Panic?

We saw a house in October and made an offer, which was accepted. A notaire has been engaged via the agent (Leggett) and the process to purchase commenced. The house had not previously had a diagnostic AFAIK.

We have heard from the agent that the compromis will be signed on 25th Nov, but we have still not seen the diagnostic for the place. As I understand it, normally if there are significant issues then it is written into the compromis that these shall be rectified before completion of the sale, however there is not a lot of time left to get those things written in.

My question - is it normal for things to be as close as this? Should we delay the signing until we’ve had the document and had time to go through it carefully, or does this all get sorted out ‘automatically’ as we go along? My instinct is that this doesn’t feel right, but it may be entirely innocent.

Thanks everyone.

Having just checked my emails (technology is a wonderful thing, it took a few seconds to type something in the search bar and find something from 5 years ago!) the diagnostics seem to have been sent as attachments with the CdV itself. You can then print all, peruse at your leisure before deciding whether to sign. The only non standard part of ours was a clause regarding a successful certificat d’urbanisme for a barn conversion on the land, we didn’t get into matters of the diagnostics, but then everything needed replacing anyway. I would have thought it would be more that issues flagged may mean a bit of renegotiation before signing a modified one if need be, but the world has gone mad since I went through this process so my memory of it isn’t great. (This was with Leggetts btw).

Fantastic, thanks Kirstea. I shall pause the panic for a bit then. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally I would wait to see the Diagnostics and the fosse inspection (if applicable) before doing anything else, the CdV is now the most important document with the Acte being almost a formality.

It normally only takes a couple of weeks to get the Diagnostics done so don’t understand the delay.

2 Likes

In my experience, one should never sign anything unless all the bits and bobs are well understood and agreed.

Once upon a time, I was overcome with enthusiam and silly enough to sign something without fully reading and understanding … but only the once… never again.

2 Likes

Marriage register? :grinning:

naughty boy… :rofl:

never regretted our whirlwind romance… not for one second… :hugs:

Well, if it doesn’t turn up until 24 hours before the CdV then I think there may be some delays. :stuck_out_tongue:

My understanding is that you will have to arrange for any additional clauses to be written into the compromis.

When we were in the process of buying our house, the diagnostics revealed that the gas CH boiler was unsafe and it was condemned. We managed to get a clause inserted into the CdV stating that a new replacement (at the sellers’ expense) was mandatory.

I therefore advise against signing anything until you have read and understood the diagnostic reports plus the costs and timescales of rectifying any issues.

I would n’t have too much confidence in Leggetts. We found their service to be mediocre at best, and once the purchase had been completed they were totally uninterested in other issues that arose.

2 Likes

Have you asked where it is? So many times in France I have been huffing and puffing about something that I would expect to have been told - only to find that it had been done/sent/prepared but nobody said so!

The dossier of diagnostics may well be sitting on the notaire’s desk….

(2 examples from yesterday….had phoned local firm to arrange for a shutter repair, to be told by secretary “he will phone you”. No sign for days so popped into shop yesterday. Same secretary “oh he’s off sick and no idea when he’ll be back”.

Then had asked for a medical certificate from health centre…”we’ll phone you when doctor has signed it”. Popped in there too and it was waiting for me, dated over a week ago! )

Also take into account that its better to have a DPE(Diagnostic de performance énergétique)dated on or after July 2021 as the criteria are assessed differently and probably not as favourably as before this date.(although the ones done before are valid for three years)Apparentlly quite a few owners who have say E or F ratings now are trying to offload their properties now as they could easily become G under the new criteria.
Having said this no problem I would think if there is a goodish rating nowABC or if you intend to do work to improve insolation on your new property anyway

Thanks Jane, I did raise the question with the agent a couple of days ago, but she hasn’t replied yet. It may well have been done and is waiting somewhere, but we just need time to review and understand.

Now I may be showing my ignorance, but is there a legal/tax reason why a home with lower rating is a problem? The house is oldish - I should guess late 19th/early20th century, though not especially old - so isn’t going to be cavity insulated or anything special, but that doesn’t make any difference as far as we are concerned unless there’s some kind of external factor.

In a wider sense I care that the house isn’t going to be especially poor, but having been in there in cold weather (frosty outside - it was not cold indoors, and was plainly not lived in) it will be fine. Roof has been insulated, and the loft space is a single large room.

Eventually you won’t be able to rent houses with F and G ratings…

1 Like

Have you raised the issue with the Notaire? As Jane did mention “it was waiting for me, dated over a week ago”

1 Like

I’m not sure we have their contact information yet - perhaps I’m (unfairly) trusting the agent too much.

I personally would get the agent to divulge this information, They will give it if they are serious about earning some money. When we bought our house, the agent (not leggett) gave me the whole info packet without asking. As the Notaire is also on the council here, the whole sale was done and dusted within 4 weeks.

This could well be the case…… if you know the name of the notaire get in touch with their office and ask their secretary. Phone calls, not emails which they rarely read!

1 Like

Please trust your instincts and delay signing. We had a diagnostic report that highlighted electric issues that required immediate attention but we were told by the agent (Leggett) they were not deemed an issue before signing the compris. We pulled out of the deal.

6 Likes

Also, the diagnostic report is very lengthy and ALL in French. You need to allow time for translation and understanding.

2 Likes