Want to freak yourself out? I'm gonna show just how much of your information the likes of Facebook and Google store about you without you even realising it

Compiled by Dylan Curran

1 Like

Oh come on!

Online calendar in keeping your appointment schedule shocker!

Online document editor in keeping your documents shocker!

YOU uploaded the videos. YOU clicked “Like” on the things you liked. YOU turned Google location tracking on.

3 Likes

If that was the case Nige it would be less of an intrusion but most of these are defaulted “ON”, in other words you have to opt out and if you don’t even know it’s doing it how do you opt out? I’ve never “allowed” Google to track me but it has. The way Google and Facebook (and others) are set up is a big invasion of privacy. I think if any Government attempted such a level of surveillance there would be uproar, it’d make the STASI look good. The original article gives links that one can use to check out how much of one’s own personal data is stored by these companies. Try the links, I think you’ll be surprised. I was and I barely ever use d Facebook and only use Google for search.

2 Likes

I thought this was interesting…:slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.ted.com/talks/zeynep_tufekci_we_re_building_a_dystopia_just_to_make_people_click_on_ads

1 Like

A Simple Pizza Order –

Hello! Is this Gordon’s Pizza?

No sir - it’s Google Pizza.

I must have dialled a wrong number. Sorry.

No sir - Google bought Gordon’s Pizza last month.

OK. I would like to order a pizza.

Do you want your usual, sir?

My usual - you know me?

According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses - sausage - pepperoni - mushrooms and meat balls on a thick crust.

OK - that’s what I want

May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta - arugula - sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat, gluten free, thin crust?

What? I detest vegetables.

Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

How the hell do you know?

Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetable pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.

Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you only purchased a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once, at Boots in Launceston, 4 months ago.

I bought more from another chemist.

That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

I paid in cash.

But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

I have other sources of cash.

That doesn’t show on your last tax return unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law.

WHAT THE HELL?? !!!

I’m sorry, sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you .

Enough already! I’m sick to death of Google - Facebook - Twitter - WhatsApp and all the others!! I’m going to an island without internet - cable TV - where there is no cell phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me!!

I understand sir - but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago!!

2 Likes

What the twitter feed doesn’t elucidate is the effect of a more cautious approach - eg.

• What if you don’t log in to Google etc?
  • What if you don’t use propriety software (like Windows)?
  • What if you search with Duckduckgo?
  • What if you only run Facebook in a container?
  • What if your general settings (for cookies, etc) are screwed down tight?
  • Etc…
1 Like

Sounds like us, we run Linux, Duck Duck Go or Startpage, high cookie control, never use FB or their companies (whatsApp / Instagram) etc.

Thier growing power, influence (look at what came out about the elections, this mornings news that FB is the biggest source of covid misinformation etc) is just terrifying and yet the sheeple keep using thier products, not caring, not realising (or wanting to see the big picture).

I find it all very George Orwell and scary and I wish the governments of the world had enough power to stop them but apparently not when it has been tried. I hate to think where it will all end.

3 Likes

Yes - if the police ever looked at my internet settings etc they would assume I have something to hide!
I haven’t - just don’t like the idea of multinational mega-corporations collecting masses of data on me!

That’s interesting Tory. I’ve just changed my default search engine to duckduckgo. I think they’ve got this privacy thing quacked

3 Likes

They sure do :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck: :duck:

1 Like
2 Likes

If you are at all concerned about internet privacy etc, I highly recommend subscribing to Rob Braxman’s YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqXJBK3WU-A

OMG. Launceston is twinned with Plestin Les Greves , do they know about our pizza habits :weary:

The New Web Tracking Method Using Favicons, Explained

What is a Tracking Pixel—Explained in 800 Words or Less

Google can access your medical records? Really?