Was Boris Johnson wrong to speak the way he did?

Considering the level of ‘it’s’ powers of diplomacy, how/why was he ever made Foreign Sec’???

1 Like

When the list of new cabinet appointments said Boris Johnson F Off Theresa May misread it

6 Likes

He is not worth the time of day.

1 Like

:+1: :rofl:

Sadly it’s not one of mine, but it’s possibly right

2 Likes

I hope my contribution in “General Discussion” " Be interesting to hear TMs response to Boris’s remarks!](Be interesting to hear TMs response to Boris’s remarks!" is relevant.

1 Like

Apparently the Tory Party has been inundated with women who are totally against the niquab.
It does seem that it is only minorities that are taken seriously when it comes to being offended.
I am offended when I see women in anything which makes them subservient to the prejudices of men.
I do not like the practice of orthodox jewish women having to wear a wig after marriage, so that only their husbands can see their hair.

3 Likes

Everyone’s different Jane, I think women should be allowed to wear what they want but it’s fine with me that you and others disagree.

I consider it very relevant and very thoughtful. I hope you will continue to comment on controversial topics in the same vein, John_Wellum.

I also agree with Johnson’s view that women should be free to choose how to dress, and the idea that men force them to wear a niqab or burka is often mere supposition, and not fact. Some women may choose to wear a burka as a political statement, as some western women wore black to promote #metoo.

It’s allowed in a free society.

There’s a lovely part in this film where one of the students points out that despite education, the beliefs of others and equal rights some women still make decisions that other women cannot understand and as an individual they have the right to make that decision.

1 Like

I am replying to myself, because it seems that it is men who are supporting these women

If it’s their choice, why not?

1 Like

It’s difficult Jane. As I have said I have no objection to these garments being worn by women who have chosen to do so. However if you go back in history to why these garments came into being in the first place was that to keep women in their place ? The same with the Jewish laws .I don’t know enough to debate with confidence

You can’t base a modern opinion on why these garments were created in the first place. Even if it was true (and like you I have no idea) its the opinions of the women today that matters.

You have to decide if you give the people who choose to wear them credit for being intelligent human beings or not.

I understand they instill fear in some people, though I don’t agree. There are many more dangerous things than women in strange dresses in my life! Far better to spend our time understanding why some people are afraid of such a thing than trying to legislate against it.

Oh yeah, and back to the question Boris was wrong because of why he said it - for personal political gain.

5 Likes

Yes .

1 Like

very wrong. Remember that he was speaking about human beings, British people, frankly - but showing off to the Far Right by likening one group of people to ‘letter boxes’ and ‘criminals’ who have never, ever done anything to him or anyone else. Picking on vulnerable people because it’s easy, that way, to get points with the bigots. Yes he was wrong.

1 Like

He has the right to say as he pleases, irrespective of his position. Personally, I think that he was correct. They do not have to wear all that regalia - the U.K. is not a Muslim state and far too many terrorists have used the attire to commit terrorist attacks.

Why should the rules be different for one particular faith? There is a security issue that overrides any belief.

1 Like

How many terrorist attacks in the UK (or anywhere in the West) have been committed by people wearing burqas or niqabs? Please give a specific example because I’m having trouble finding one.

Also, what did Boris say that you agree with? Was it the bit where he said burqas should NOT be banned?

2 Likes

You seem to have totally missed Johnson’s point, Glenn. He is against banning the burqa and the niqab, on libertarian grounds.

2 Likes