We're Doomed

OK but I also thought that the reason there would be no new legislation was on the technicality that it was already covered (yes, I know this has been refuted).

I don’t want to defend Johnson and, yes, it is not surprising that he has done a volt face on his first full day as PM but I’m not seeing this as a properly broken promise - one he made which got him elected.

Give him time, he’ll break plenty.

1 Like

Par Dunt politics.co.uk

If anything unites the new Cabinet it’s how many of them have already had to resign for incompetence or irresponsibility.

He’ll be polishing a turd then😂

1 Like

and just for good measure if a ‘free trade’ UK considers taxing Google et al:

General despair. I have decided not be to British any more. I am English born and bred and am now deeply ashamed of the country of my birth. I see no point in inflicting that shame on the Scots, Welsh and N. Irish as this is an English problem. So from here on in I’m half English. My French half is proud to be French and European

4 Likes

I profoundly disagree with this*. It’s not the British who are widely mistrusted and despised by people of other countries: it’s the English.

I’m not proud to declare myself English, it has begun to make me ashamed. But I’m not ashamed of the city of my birth, Birmingham. That still stands for something decent, honest, reliable and straightforward.

It’s ludicrous to suddenly be ashamed of your country, so fickle. Do you think Americans ‘flip-flop’ in their level of pride for their country, proud when Obama was Pres, ashamed under Trump and proud again should a Democrat get to the White House next year? If people are that upset tear up your UK passport and apply for another nationality.

I don’t see the point.

1. it may be illegal to deface such a document which remains the property of HMG
  2. if your new host country allows dual citizenship just choose not to exercise the privileges of citizenship and use the passport of your newly adopted country instead.

In symbolic protest Graham and don’t apply for a new one when it expires.

I take the point Tim, but not applying for a new one when it expires doesn’t remove the entitlement come what may - do or die :smile:

Try telling that to border control anywhere in the world and see how far you get.:wink:

splitting hair there Tim
I have a commercial pilot’s licence which remains in force but I cannot exercise the privileges of it unless I also maintain currency and an appropriate medical. It’s my choice currently not to continue with the licence (I probs wouldn’t pass the medical requirements now anyway) but that doesn’t remove my entitlement to maintain it if I so chose unless the competent authority revoke it.
The same applies with the UK passport. The entitlement isn’t revoked by choosing not to renew it, but it follows that you cannot expect to exercise it’s privileges unchallenged if you are not in possession of same when required to produce it as a travel document. There are other forms of travel document which would suit border controls available to a UK passport holder though so the entitlement doesn’t diminish with the unavailability of the actual proof of entitlement (viz the passport itself) and an old but expired copy might go some way to establishing that entitlement (with the UK Border Force at least).
Not too dissimilar either to a driving licence. You may not be in possession of it and you may be fined for driving without in your possession (eg France) but so long as it has not been revoked the licence remains extant - as does your entitlement to it and the ability to exercise the privileges of it.

Going way off piste now Graham.

whose piste? :rofl:

Err that is what I said!!! Foreign press call this the English Problem. It’s in England that race hate has increased. I despise racism. It’s reported that Birmingham voted wildly in the referendum both remain and leave. Like it or not Brexit has unleashed the very worst in English psyche. It is THAT of which I am ashamed. Anyway I now have dual nationality so am still proudly European

1 Like

Well it’s kind of you to let the South Walesians off the hook considering they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. My dil is from South Wales, she despairs of the racism and general prejudice amongst a large proportion of the general population.

Me too. This wretched Brexit is a tragedy. Never since the Civil War has the country been so divided

I understand better now. I’ve found that most French folk use the generic term ‘l’anglais’ to define any Briton, without regard to nationality. Here I define myself as Britannique, as does my wife who was born and raised in Africa, and is “black”.

Interestingly, most French people assume she is French. No-one in England thinks of her as English, although we have lived there together for over 40 years.

Nor are our mixed-race adult children, all in their forties, regarded as English by the majority of their white compatriots.

C’est la vie!

as for the Welsh, is it racism or a strong sense of nationalism?
I well recall as a boy travelling on a train in North Wales with a school chum and in the carriage were two Welsh people who conversed with each other in welsh until the point we started a conversation in German (we did German at school) when they reverted to English (thinking we couldn’t understand them) :rofl:
Taught me a huge and early lesson in adult behaviour…

2 Likes

I am not ashamed of the UK at all. I love the country I was raised in, it educated me, treated me when sick, employed me , and then my children. It may be going through a difficult time just now but what sort of person rejects their friends or family because they’re having a hard time? Only fickle people who want to know you in good times only.

2 Likes