We've got Covid 🙄

We were down in Cassis for a Morgan club thing last weekend, dinner one evening, lunch the next. The run down was pretty chilly (we don’t use the roof, too much bother) so when my wife I had the sniffles on Monday we weren’t too surprised. I felt a bit more ropey yesterday but my wife seemed to have bounced back. However today I felt very ropey. Our next door neighbour who’s a GP has just popped in and says we both have it :roll_eyes: I suppose I shouldn’t have waited for the vaccination. Glad it’s this week and not in December when we’ll be heading to the Bilbao ferry.

Be careful, seems France is particularly hit.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, John. Look after yourself and Mrs S and keep hydrated etc.

2 Likes

Get well soon.

The Connexion article is paywalled, of course.

Hope you get well soon John. A good time to get that special single malt out and sit by the fire.

3 Likes

It wouldnt have made a bit of difference you’d still have caught it but got over it a day or two sooner.
You’ll be fine in a few days and would have gained a bit of natural immunity going forward. :+1:

1 Like

That’s the trouble with Covid - even infection is barely any protection from the same variant and probably less for the next mutation along. Vaccination a bit better/more consistent but even then it’s not great and mostly reduces severity rather than prevents getting Covid at all.

2 Likes

It might not have made a bit of difference as you’d still might have caught it but got over it a day or two sooner.

Corrected that for you :wink:

2 Likes

Get well soon!

1 Like

Er ya go :slightly_smiling_face:

What is known about the new Covid subvariant spreading through France?

France has reported the highest number of cases within Europe. It can cause unusual symptoms and one expert says it could lead to a ‘new winter Covid wave’

France has reported the highest number of cases of a new Covid subvariant - dubbed JN.1 or BA.2.86.1.1 - of European countries, health authorities report, warning that it is spreading fast.

Health authority Santé publique France (SPF) issued the warning during its most recent risk analysis report, updated on November 17.

What is the new strain?

The new JN.1 is from the Omicron strain ‘family’ and is a sub-strain of Pirola (BA.2.86), a sub-variant of Omicron.

Read more: Covid in France: What are symptoms of the new variant Pirola?

SPF said that around 10% of tests in October had been positive for JN.1.

What are the symptoms of the new strain?

The symptoms are in many cases very similar to previous strains of Covid, including fatigue, a cough, headaches, fever, a runny nose, and a loss of smell or taste.

However, in rare cases, Pirola and its sub variants can also cause eye irritation and a rash on the face. It can also cause diarrhoea and stomach cramps.

Is the new strain of particular concern?

Expert epidemiologist Professor Antoine Flahault - who is also Regional Director of WHO-Europe in charge of the stabilisation of Covid-19 - has said that France and Ireland are “the two epicentres of this [new] emerging epidemic”, with France a particular “hotspot”.

However, SPF said that “at this stage, analyses have not identified any signals of concern for either BA.2.86 or JN.1. However, there are still a number of cases under investigation which may affect these results”.

Prof Flahault has said that it could cause a “new winter wave”.

“It could cause an increase in the incidence [number of cases per 100,000 people]”, he said, in an interview with La DĂ©pĂȘche .

“France is currently in the midst of an epidemic decline, following a wave that began in mid-summer and peaked a few weeks ago,” he said.

“Now, thanks to the population’s very solid immunity coverage, thanks to vaccination and the repeated reinfections of recent years, the waves of Covid-19 are no longer creating the hospital overcrowding or excess mortality we saw at the start of the pandemic.

“But new waves continue to manifest themselves in flu-like syndromes that require sufferers to stay in their rooms for two to four days, and lead to persistent forms of Covid that can be very disabling.”

A new winter wave?

He said that the stopping of barrier measures, such as wearing a mask in crowded spaces, is “facilitating the spread of respiratory viruses”.

However, he said that the measures had partly been relaxed due to the drop in Covid mortality, which was “a good thing”.

But the professor did add that JN.1 could “become established in the Île de France region over the next few weeks [and] when it exceeds 50-60% of the sequences analysed
[it could] very probably lead to a new wave, this time in winter”.

Why is France particularly affected?

Professor Flahault said that this was not yet clear.

He said; “For reasons unknown to me, France is an ‘epicentre’ of this emerging JN.1 epidemic. We still don’t know much about the characteristics of these new variants in terms of transmissibility and virulence.”

Yet, he said that despite the cases identified, “no alarming reports have been received to date”.

Related articles

Covid in France: What are symptoms of the new variant Pirola?

SEE: Latest figures on Covid-19 in France show cases are stabilising

Waste water in France to be monitored for Covid and other viruses

2 Likes

Thanks. Not sure there’s much BA.2.86 in the UK- but then we’re not recording cases or doing sequencing so how would we know.

I managed to get a jab which was the “new” one that covers XBB.1.5 and is said to be better against BA.2.86 than last year’s bivalent vaccine.

2 Likes

Typical soundbite because if it were true France would not now be the epicentre. God so much BS still doing the rounds

Up your vitamin D to 8000 iu for 8 weeks to get your immunity up quickly over winter, from one professor.

Sorry to hear you got it! .I’ve just got over it. Was much worse than when I first got it last September. I had to go to the Dr for an arrĂȘt maladie so got given antivirals for 5 days. Hubby didn’t bother and lost his smell for about a week. He is still a bit tired, been making galangal tea (I posted to a study on another thread) and really notices if he forgets to have it. Our Swedish friend bought it with her from a wedding in the Aude, worth it as not seen her in 17 years!!!

Yes, I’m the same. I’ll investigate the galangal tea :slightly_smiling_face:

I usually take 5000 iu every second day. Should I crank it up?

Not a purchased tea, literally grated galangal and cinnamon.

Where do you get the roots? Is it any better than ginger and turmeric roots which are incredibly easy to get here? We have them in our smoothies every day.

Grand Frais! And different to both, although in the same family. Different taste and medicinal properties.

4 Likes

I would, ( I have) now we are not getting sun exposure.

Do you add black pepper? Bio availabilty goes way up if you do and adding a fat helps it slow down through the body a bit like golden milk as its called.

Must look for grand frais next visit, sounds good.

Ahh found in Chambray les Tours.

1 Like

I know John has already shared the article but for future reference I find archive.is works well for bypassing their paywall

https://archive.is/ry5pl

PS - get well soon @John_Scully and Mrs Scully.