What a total arse

He’s continually trying to escape his domestic disasters by trying to be a ‘world statesman’ with faux Chuchillian phrases, but he’s not, and everyone knows it. By contrast Zelensnsky can paraphrase Churchill and inspire people.

Suspect that despite Tory pleas for solidarity during an international crisis, BJ will get his comeuppance after the local elections…

1 Like

William Keegan in today’s Observer instead argues that Ukraine has highlighted the geo-political folly of brexit - pushing the EU, Russia and other trading blocks further towards self-reliance and internal cohesion, side-lining and isolating the UK both politically and economically.

And more evidence of the UK’s increasing irrelevance perhaps - the author and Windrush campaigner Patrick Vernon argues that - following the Barbados independence vote and refusal of the Toledo community to host a visit from William and Kate - “This year is an opportunity for people to reflect: do we want to be a republic, and what does that mean? If Jamaica decided it did, there would be a domino effect on the rest of the English-speaking Caribbean.”

2 Likes

Indeed Geof, and Chris Grey was saying much the same on Friday.

1 Like

They’re really falling apart…

He really has no idea that he makes decent people feel sick!

5 Likes

We won’t let it happen, Geoff, my friend, a Mr. P. of Moscow W1, tells me that if you speak English you must be English and in dire need of liberation.

The N. American continent to the north of Texas (soon to be re-united with Mexico) together with the Caribbean and Australasia is quaking in its boots as we speak.
As soon as we’ve sorted Ireland, obviously. :thinking:
And Aquitaine, where the English speaking minority is suffering genocide, for goodness ’ sake I even had to speak French to some uppity local yesterday. :rage:

5 Likes

Do you think he just winding people up through some sick sense of humour, trying in some warped way to see just how far he can push people, because I don’t think he is as stupid as people make out, sly, sleekit, uncaring, self serving and devious maybe but not stupid.

1 Like

Johnson loves analogies but he just doesn’t know how to use them appropriately, that’s a mark of gross stupidity given his current employment.

2 Likes

No, he’s not stupid alright, just totally insensitive and self centred.

From someone who knows Boris Johnson well:
Ian Hislop Quotes

Boris Johnson, people always ask me the same question, they say, ‘Is Boris a very very clever man pretending to be an idiot?’ And I always say, ‘No.’

2 Likes

We have a friend who thinks the sun shines out of his arse, trots out all the standard phrases “doing the best he can”, “did well in the crisis”, “other countries have problems”, the whole lot.

Trying to point out that the crises are largely of his own making cuts no ice, he can do no wrong in her eyes.

Unfortunately this is what you get when your source of current affairs analysis is Daily Mail headlines (as far as we can tell she doesn’t actually bother reading the articles).

Adams had the right idea, just the wrong population in the “B” Ark.

1 Like

I guess it all comes down to definitions of “clever”. He’s definitely not as Benny Hill as he pretends (though he does have a lot in common with Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)). I think the affable, harmless bumbler is a very clever and disarming mask for a vicious, lying narcissist. Surrounding himself with dross has been a clever move too, with Truss, Patel, etc. etc. he’s not at risk of being upstaged in the intellectual arena (No. 11 excepted). As you point out Billy, there are plenty who take him at face value.

2 Likes

I really don’t see this as a defence - it is not a bloody primary school sports day!

If it really is the best he can do, move aside for someone (anyone) who is able to do better.

4 Likes

Oh yes he is.

1 Like

Agree totally

1 Like

He is as stupid as he sounds. He may have intellectual pretensions - all that spouting of Classical references and he’s clearly good at the blustering refutation of criticism at the Despatch Box, however loaded with irrelevancies and mendacity - but that doesn’t equip him to govern effectively. That takes other attributes.

Bare in mind the Peter Principle, that in any hierarchy a member of that hierarchy will rise in it to their first level of incompetence. In Bojo’s case and others - Gordon Brown? Teresa May? - that level happens to have been the top level - P.M.

The trouble, in the case of Bojo, he is a situation where he can inflict major damage to the country of which he is premier. He already has, by his position and actions - lying, for example - on Brexit.

The reaction of foreigners to his insulting drivel, Ukraine/Brexit, made me ashamed to be British.

7 Likes

… more blows to the ‘Global Britain’ nonsense:

Johnson is a complete embarrassment

3 Likes

Probably not, but look at some of the awful men that there in the world leading their nations.

2 Likes