What Brexit means to me

Possibly…

…or possibly, it’s easier to keep a sense of humour when the process only took about 30 minutes for both of us (my wife and I got them ages back, in a not especially busy PO).

I think it is fair comment to say that perhaps they should have done a bit of due diligence before swallowing them hook, line and sinker.

Hindsight

1 Like

What does Brexshit mean to me?

Anger, frustration, unnecessary expense, deep loathing for our so-called leaders (who couldn’t lead an infant class in a walking bus!!!) - but most of all, frustration…in not yet being able to stick two fingers up to the powers-that-be in the UK and say to them “stuff your petty Islander attitude” and escape across the Channel to my home in France.

Four more years…

4 Likes

Carl… at least you do have that “light at the end of the tunnel”…with your property in France… :hugs:

Hang on in there… you’ll get here eventually… :hugs:

1 Like

I assume that Carl will not want or need the UK to pay for his healthcare or retirement, will apply for French nationality as soon as is possible and will not want to participate in any elections in a country he now loathes?:grinning:

I don’t read it as Carl loathes the UK just the authorities and their attitudes

3 Likes

Where are you hoping to live Carl?

He is referring to the present government, surely?

At the risk of reaching my granny to suck eggs: countries don’t pay retirement or old age pensions out of charity - you pay something in so you get something out.

2 Likes

Just trying to inject a bit of humour and balance into this and all Brexit threads, it’s not good for your blood pressure to get so wound up.

Neither do I.
Isolationists and those who cannot face the reality that leaving the EU will make the UK a poorer place, both socially and economically are not people who I would want as my neighbours.

1 Like

Timothy my mother in law used to say the most appalling things and when we said that we didn’t appreciate them her retort was that we didn’t understand her sense of humour.
Your ‘sense of humour’ seems as twisted as hers.

Now,now Jane. Getting so upset about Brexit will not do your health any good, who knows it might even be cancelled.:wink:

Crikey, just imagine, a cancelled brexshit. What on earth would we talk about, get angry about?

Mind you, talking about Brexit is far more appealing than dealing with all be family bullshit I’ve had the past week. Heading back home today, got to get to Plymouth to meet a friend who is driving down . Got to go back next week for the funeral though, hopefully my brothers and sister can call a truce between them, at least for one day.

3 Likes

I admit to being quite confused by this. I normally find your posts really interesting. What’s funny about this?

And what’s with all the you must hate the UK talk? Reducing everything to simple binaries is what has got us into this mess in the first place. It’s not a case of love or loathe. The UK isn’t a flavour of yogurt.

FWIW you can love a country and have serious misgivings about the government. Whichever side of the debate you are on I think we can all agree that what’s going on at the moment is beyond the pale.

Now back to laughing…

8 Likes

Now I know what the verb brexiting means:

5 Likes

That isn’t any different to getting a visa to work in the U.K. if you are from outside Europe.

Exactly, that is one of the reasons I like EU.

@anon82447983, I’ll address this to you as you asked for an explanation of an earlier remark but it’s really my view of the effect of Brexit on expats.

The vast majority of expats either voted Remain or would have done had they been able to and the vote to leave has brought out the worst side of people with many being abusive to those that voted for Brexit as well as voicing their dislike, loathing and hatred of the UK government, many do also feel ashamed at being British. Whilst I understand leaving the EU will have consequences for us all there is absolutely no point in having sleepless nights or constantly worrying about what ifs. On a personal level I will deal with whatever I have to and have confidence that the French government will not make things too difficult for the 200k+ Brits that live here full time as it’s simply not in their interest to do so.

My remark to Carl was intended as - ‘he’s so pissed off with May and co that he’s going to cut all ties with the UK in protest’, what’s ironic is that the ‘two fingers’ phrase he used was supposed to originate from English archers who used this in battle with the French, Carl’s now in effect doing this in reverse.

I do think the obsession with Brexit is not doing us any good and we should laugh at it whenever possible even if it means taking the mickey out of each other.

5 Likes

Agreed.
Things could be worse…
we could still be living in an era where Spandex was considered a good look.

1 Like