What counts as necessary travel?

We could do with something like that in the UK.

Apparently here the Police lack the powers to enforce the restrictions - and even if they get them in the “Coronavirus Bill” they lack the numbers as well.

Funny how, when you run the system down for 10 years so that it is only just able to cope with “normal” workloads, it cannot respond well to a crisis.

2 Likes

Having run my printer dry of ink, I have to write the attestation out by hand. Do I have to write it out in its entirety, or can I just self-certify the option(s) relevant to my own déplacement at the time, and leave the others off the script?

I’m not lazy, I assure you. Just intellectually and civically inquisitive.

Peter… you can just put in the bit that relates to your proposed trip… for whatever essential thingy…

What printer do you have @Peter_Goble
In some cases these days, it’s actually cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the cartridges :nerd_face:
The Supermarkets often have good offers available for inkjets like HP at around 40€ or so (and they come with new cartridges to boot)

Yeah, but you need an attestation to get to them :wink:

Went in to my office (20km from home) yesterday to pick up the mail and set up remote access to the computing system. Got stopped by the gendarmes pretty much where I expected them to be (roundabout at entrance to town just off motorway exit) - papers checked, passport checked, name and vehicle registration taken. Chatting to the gendarme, he said “too many people still circulating” (his words). Two hours later (or possibly even earlier), they had left and gone elsewhere or back to the station. There simply aren’t enough of them to be on guard 24/7. Anyone could have come into town and gone out again in that time (mid-afternoon).

I’m sure Peter’s already a dab-hand at writing these attestations and there’s only the "time of leaving home"bit to add.

I’m going to amend the old pre-printed one the Mairie made available for citizens… at the beginning of the lockdown… if I find I need to go out… :wink:

This is a very sad situation for you and there must be many more people who want to be with their loved ones but who now cannot.
We have just seen from the online paper, le Journal de Saone-et-Loire, that in the local retirement home half of the residents have the virus and the staff are also affected. It must be awful there.
We are continuing to leave eggs by our post box for our neighbours and yesterday I had a lovely jar of walnuts left for us.

3 Likes

While this is true it is pretty wasteful - and the “full” cartridges in new printers have much lower capacity then normal refills.

1 Like

True, but needs must when the devil rides…
and if you have an old inkjet, the can be quite inefficient in ink management over new models.

I ventured out shopping this morning for the first time since lock-down (I needed dog food amongst other things- as it’s been 12 days at home for me already.)
Really surprised to see no gendarmes on my travels.
Only a couple of empty shelves in Super U, all essentials in stock with a few people milling about many (like myself) with gloves on. Very few with masks but some had wrapped scarves over their mouths.
All calm, polite and respecting social distancing, almost like a normal midday in the past when shoppers are scarce.
I took the opportunity whilst out, to empty the recycling that had built up and that’s me done for another couple of weeks if necessary.
Sorted…

1 Like

Mark,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother and the situation you find yourself in. Wishing you lots of strength at this difficult time.

Kind wishes

Marijke

Thanks Marijke,

I’d been meaning to send you a PDF of the catalogue for Sonja’s latest exhibition, it’s all new paintings from the last nine months. Unfortunately the gallery was closed down two days after the vernissage…

And our dog’s on its last legs

But things could be much worse -

There’s a superbly written, but harrowing account in this morning’s NY Times of the reality and minutae of self-isolation in a New York apartment.

A scam for artists to be aware of:-
Yesterday Sonja got a scam email, ostensibly from a woman in California, who wanted to buy a painting on her website. We were slightly suspicious and suggested she instead buy it through Saatchi as they’ll handle shipping, customs, etc. However, her reply contained improbable reasons why she couldn’t do that. I can only assume it was an attempt to obtain personal bank account details.

Hope your work’s going well and I’ll send you a copy of the catalogue. We’re assuming the show will reopen and the gallery will just reschedule its programme. It’s an interesting high quality space with very good residential facilities for artists.

Thanks again,

Mark

2 Likes

Thanks Jane,

As you rightly note I’m just one of a rapidly growing new form of community.

OTH so much discussion of the internet is about its negative aspects and this shouldn’t overshadow the very positive contribution of online communities such as our own

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I am really sorry to hear about Sonja’s show. Here’s hoping it has a good run when the galleries all reopen! I would love to receive a copy of the catalogue. Good she got to have a vernissage though and I hope it was a nice evening.

Similar situation here with Ross’s show which was due to open in a couple of weeks being postponed until an indeterminate date in the future.

It is sad too to hear about your dog. I hope they are not in pain.

Take care and I look forward to seeing Sonja’s work!

Best wishes

Marijke

1 Like

We are still in the 50-50 France/Scotland position and after being away for 3 months came back in February.
When the lockdown came in we decided it would be safer to stay. Rural area, better weather and health service etc. My wife normally works in England every second week but reckoned she could still run the business remotely
But, and there’s always a but, my car mot is due early June.
Contacted the embassy in Paris and asked if there would be waivers as they did last year in NI when the mot station ramps failed.
Contact our Bordeaux office and repeat your question to them was the only response. Two weeks later there’s been no response from Bordeaux
In the UK the AA raised this issue three weeks ago - they got an answer today.
I also contacted the DVSA who basically said when you get through the tunnel you must head straight to a Folkestone mot station
If driving the car in France I’d have to negotiate with the French authorities and my insurers

Realistically? None of that was going to happen so we headed back on Sunday with a car full of all the food with use by summer dates - and loo rolls and food supplies my daughter couldn’t get in Edinburgh thanks to the selfish burghers panic buying. Nonn I’mproblems in our local intermarche or LeClerc
She’s on the risk register so working from home - and delivery schedules for online shopping there is 6 wks ahead!

Today Boris announced a 6 months waiver for mots - too late I’m now back in Scotland
Unfortunately it only comes into force on March 30 and mots due beforehand still have to go to their garage.
Unfortunately garages are closing all over the shop because they have staffing issues.
She’s just had her mot appointment cancelled for this reason.
So her car becomes illegal - and mine developed a fault on the way back so needs to go into the dealer - who closed today.
Not sure what happens when the food runs out - a run out in an illegal car??

Nightmare.

Though, trying to live 50:50 always was a recipe for extra problems. Basically it means you have two sets of laws to fall foul of, rather than just one.

Unfortunately my wife’s specific work plus the implications of a family trust which the French won’t recognise (and is taking ages to wind up) means we have no option at the moment.
We are, however, hoping I can become French resident before the end of the year and Boris’s new regs screw things up.

But my wife’s position is still up in the air - a lot depends on legal and financial advice

George Topp.

Google is your friend…there must be more MOT stations in accessible distance. Or do you have ZIP cars or another car club near you? (Although maybe they will struggle because of cleaning between people?)

Yes thanks Anna.

I was expecting it to be cancelled but the ferry sailed on time at 21:30 on Tuesday. About 25 cars on board and the rest truckers. On our way to our cabin we saw mask-less, gloveless people circulating. Not many but IMO still too many. The poor crew seemed completely unprotected.

The bar and restaurants were open for dinner and then breakfast and lunch the following day. Despite our “complimentary” breakfast vouchers we hibernated in our cabin with our Marks and Spencer’s picnic (fruit and salads - very tasty) for the full nineteen hours.

The queue to get off was well managed with disciplined social distancing but we had gloves and masks on anyway.

Border police asked where we lived and where the car was registered (France) - I had a bunch of supporting documentation proving we were domiciled in France just in case, but we didn’t need it.

We hit the road around around 17:00 and only stopped for fuel and forty winks (literally forty minutes). Arrived home at 07:30ish this morning. Drove within speed limits all the way but might have slipped up near Claremont when something flashed - I might have a 120 in a 110 or a 90 zone fine to pay. Which begs another question… what does one do about registered letters? Sign or don’t sign?

As an aside, one of the service areas we pulled into was chock a block with UK cars towing caravans and UK camping cars. Making a run for it?