What do you all do? Post your links here!

Done, well thanks I appreciate, pls comment where you can jeepers I need comments badly!

1 Like

Iā€™ll share your page in a sec :slight_smile:

THANK YOU SOOOO much!

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome!

Hi Ken, I am only you friends page as my system is worse than dial up due to weather, this out try is advanced in many years ways butā€¦emailā€¦ohhhh such a pain.
Anyway, we produce DRY AGED BEEF IN THE UK, I am here nr CAEN, surrounded by BEEF, beautiful beef but you really canā€™t eat it, so I am setting up here, we ha e hoops to jump thru, courses to attend which is the French systemā€¦
we already support, many top chefs here, so by carefully choosing the right beef we can all enjoy the best of French beef, it is out there you just have to find the breeders, so I am on a missionā€¦
The dry ager arrives soon and so does the beef, we will hold tastings, which were extremely popular in the UK I donā€™t doubt they will be here in France . We will let you all know but, dry age takes 30 please, us days so you will have to wait till end of March for us to be all legal. Watch this space.
So I would like, etc to contact you Ken to help us spread the word.

Why canā€™t you eat the beef near you? Iā€™m about 200km to the east of Caen and had a beautiful fillet steak at lunchtime, both tender and tasty.

Iā€™m sure dry aged beef is lovely, but, how are you going to translate the name? Care needed I think!

Still scribbling away. Non-fiction. History. Since moving to Amboise we have self-published Leonardo da Vinci: The Amboise Connection and Max Ernst and the Genie of Amboise. Writing Guide book to Amboise and The Ladies of The Chateau. Our garden is a constant source of fascination. Reclaimed land from the woods behind us the majority of plants are deadly poisonous. We call it the witches garden. Am rubbing yellow sap from Greater Celandine on a wart. Watch This Space. Our maison ancienne is like the old firth of forth bridge cliche. Hard to see what we have done tend to see only what needs to be done e.g.terracing a slope before it slides in the neighbours immaculate courtyard below.
www.photographfrance,com

3 Likes

Cut the grass.

Normandy past time.

Andy

1 Like

In the past I worked in the Glass industry, installing, running, repairing huge 300-600 ton glass furnaces worldwide, had a garage as a pastime repairing classic cars and did renovations on old houses/barn conversions.
Now I take it easier after an accident and two strokes, bought a few properties in France and renovated them, then bought our present 23 acre farm as our forever home, farm is circa 16-17th century and was part of a 16th century castle now a chateau.
Took 2 years to renovated the large cottage but still to put a loft conversion in, in the process of renovating the stables with new roof, kitchen, bathroom, but the bedroom is finished, also in the process of replacing the roofs on two of the out building which have just got new French doors and windows.
A 300 square metre barn is then to get converted into a 4 bedroom two storey home.
That and like Andy spending the whole year cutting 2 1/2 acres of perpetually growing sodding grass.
Glad I came to France too slow down :wink::laughing::grin:

3 Likes

Oh that is fascinating, lucky you, I love glass and am generally very fond of and interested in supercooled liquids and amorphous solids :heart_eyes:

Iā€™m glad that this thread has been revived. I love reading about other peopleā€™s doings!

1 Like

Working in up to 1500Ā°C in a fireproof thermal suit, 20min tops before the heat that got inside cooked you inside out, the dust, poisonous metals left in the bottoms of the furnace, the dust especially lime :laughing: were big downsides, traveling was good but long times away from home werenā€™t, Ā£18 - 25 million cost were eye opening.
They really are huge structures with maybe a 8-10 year lifespan.

unnamed-1 unnamed-2

2 Likes

images-3 glass_recycling_0 images-2 blog-creating-glass-1

2 Likes

10 or 12 section O.I machine will make 400-500 bottles per minute.

1 Like

I love it :heart_eyes:

Last one, just for you :wink::smile:

1 Like

Thanks Colin.This is why we need to re-use what we can. If it takes this much energyā€¦

Canā€™t resist mentioning that one of the first things I did when I arrived in France, was to help build a wood-fired kiln out of wine bottles, at a ceramic arts conference in La Borne.

We fired it as a sort of kinetic sculpture. Beautiful at night. Looking into the cooled kiln the next day, the bottles had melted and formed amazing bent-glass forms reflecting the heat and gravity they went through.

So, thatā€™s what I do, work in ceramics, thatā€™s what I trained to be initially: a ceramic artist. But then I decided that using clay mined from the earth wasnā€™t a great occupation for someone who, had she been able to tackle the maths, wanted to be a solar engineer and help save the planet. Hard to get too far away from something one loves, though. I keep coming back to it. So, thatā€™s what I do now. I work in clay, among other things. I also do a lot of gardening, including planting trees.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing, Mary! I take it the kiln was rally an art form only and not usable for firing pots?

1 Like