What does SFN mean to you?

I have learned so much from this site plus it has made me aware of some of the pitfalls of the French system. It makes me feel like I am not the only Anglo that wants to live in France. I can't wait until I am over to start meeting some of you in person. Leaving what you have behind and going off to a foreign land can be quite frightning. Knowing that I am not alone is very reassuring.

It* not OT

As a newbie I have found this online community a great help. I need a job in France. Open to paying a membership (and being paid to help it keep running) :slight_smile:

It would be a great loss to see OT close. Why would this be happening?

does this post need a graphic? lemme know, I'll just need to take your briefs down, then I'll get on with it.
Ron

let's get this moving then, likes, sharezies etc.

LOL - OK thanks :)

hhmmm, pour moi, I guess that if you have a worries or questions, it seems that there are always a suggestion or several from a lot of helpful people, and you never know what the next discussion might bring and inform you about....it's nice to know that people like to help each other even if it's just an encouraging note....and the fact that someone is willing to runs this website for the lot of us....well done and please keep it going.... :)

What does it mean to me? contact. A couple of euros a month???? definately. During this period of being housebound I have really appreciated the laughs and support!

Annie

Just noticed that this post was started in May last year, and there seems to be a donations facility under construction...? I don't think this is the only way to go, personally. But more power to SFN, If any graphical element is required or knock on marketing, just say the word.

How much?... ( if that is the issue ) anyone done the sums? If it's a time thing, surely that's sortable?

WHAT? a question mark? what is the French for AAAARRRRGGH? Is it a revenue thing? Time?...it's my Posts isn't it? If it's revenue, I can supply 10 bucks a year ( standing order ) no problem, the kids would never notice.... is that enough? Who's leading the campaign?... we need someone articulate, brave, Irish... who's doing the logo? I can't cope!!! A FaceBook vote? Keep me posted. What about me Biplah group? who's gonna care for them huh?

Hi Damaris. Can't find the link - my brain is fried with the heat. Will either post here tomorrow or on your page.

Thanks Sheila,

I did wonder about the pub lol ;)

How can we make a donation? I have a Paypal account so no problems there.

Absoluely, Damaris! You've hit the proverbial nail on the head. By the way, the SFN pub is actually the "Main Room" where you can come and join in live chat - one of our members once described this live chat as similar to the local pub - you never know who's going to come in or what's going to be said.

Catharine and James' commitment to providing this brilliant network which is so helpful to us all comes at a cost - I make a (small) donation each month via Paypal and am happy to do so.

I have just seen this post on Twitter and having read the comments, I can only agree...I have been fully integrated in French life for the entire time that I have been over here but having discovered SFN quite by accident, I realised that I had found something that filled a need I didn't even realise was there.

SFN for me is a bit like this: When I used to feel like no one understood what I was trying to say or when I was feeling blue for no reason, I used to go and stare at the mountains and get this hollow feeling in my stomach. Sometimes it would take a few days to go. Now when that happens, I log onto SFN and feel better within minutes. Also I find myself experiencing less and less of these moments. SFN is like a virtual family, a hug from home and even if I never physically meet another member (I hope that I will though!!), for me it is AMAZING!

If there needs to be a membership fee for it to continue then I am definitely up for it!

For me it's an exchange of experiences and information on living in France, intelligent conversation, debate and a lifeline to my mother tongue.

It's a place I know I can go to help and be helped.

I think it is a neat site and would be interested how it all came about.

oui, boff!

Thanks Brian! I had forgotten completely about this post, and it is a mystery to me too how it appeared on Facebook! However, I am here long enough that I now find myself shrugging my shoulders, and muttering a "boff", or a "bah oui", etc., when I don't understand. Indeed, Henry was "accused" the other day of becoming too French - on hearing the news that over 60 pink flamingoes had died during the recent vague de froide, he replied "can you eat them"! Anyway, must get my derriere in gear and do something today.

Isn't it all about the word 'network'. I am quite happy being in France, my family do not need the English language or British culture especially, but have it. For all I can speak French I cannot exchange and debate the same way with them. So here I get my teeth in on issues where I feel passionately and also have a lot of real pure fun with Andrew, Catharine, Ron and a few others. My work, albeit I never appear to do any, is of its nature serious and often gives no pleasure at all. Whilst sitting here the 'pings' I hear take me off my track and on to SFN to refresh myself before going back to what I am supposed to be doing. It is gold, I genuinely thank James and Catharine for it and of the various blogs and whatever I use I must say with extreme prejudice that it is my favourite.

So, good on you for the post Sheila! May is a while back and how it just popped up again on Facebook is a bit of a mystery but if I may merely reaffirm what people said then that is great.