What has brightened your day? -ongoing thread

Sez who? :thinking::shushing_face::zipper_mouth_face::dizzy_face:

1 Like

Isn’t it THE BOT???
Peter?
I mean…The Bot has been programmed to intervene in all posts longer than…???..words…so that sentences start to spread out with big gaps between letters…etcetc and a message appears next to the thing you are writing , saying something like…oh gawd not hours of your yacketting on again, just cut it SHORT, shut up, go away…etcetc hahaha :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :blossom: something like that? Is it just me? :grinning:

It hasn’t got to me. Maybe the bot likes me. :robot::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Haha! OK!! NEXT TIME…I’ll just say pissoff.
But my post will be chewed up again…

No idea what “BOT” Jeanette is going on about - I’ll put it down to the unseemly heat for lack of a better explanation… :thinking::wink:

2 Likes

Hahaha Stella! Its COLD here! I’ve got to wear my coat on the balcony, to paint. No hot days for about a fortnight, and then only 2 or 3…
The Bot is REAL!! James and Cat will tell you all about it!
It speaks, gives instructions about posts…
maybe just wired to work for OAPs who drift off into the 40s.!
It nags me ALL the time!!
Well…
It did for a while…
If it didn’t…could it be paranoia?
Aged peeps tend to have sensory illusions and feelings of that kind…
No!!
I can find evidence!
…Cat …James!!! Are you there??? Have you unplugged the BOT???

1 Like

@cat have you any idea what BOT Jeanette is on about …:thinking: I’m off for an after-lunch snooze/siesta…

1 Like

My home is exactly as I describe it Jeanette…:slightly_smiling_face:

It’s 50sq meters but packed into the space I have a porch a kitchen a lounge…an extension that has one bedroom and small bathroom and in between a large hallway to my back garden…a conservatory on the front and an attic with almost another 50 sq meters…and best of all half an acre for my Border Collies…there’s a wooden barn in my front garden and a long driveway for my car and I’m surrounded on three sides by fields…

It’s all very ‘rough around the edges’ and there is no doubt much I could do here to “improve” but I don’t feel any driving ambition to change anything…

It feels like paradise as far as I’m concerned…:slightly_smiling_face:

There’s a property just come up for sale in my tiny hamlet and out of interest I searched for it online…it’s quite a bit more expensive than I paid for mine but is completely uninhabitable…

There is a part of me that would have been just as happy buying a camper van and living life on the open road but for now I’m fairly settled…

My mom still has the gas cooker that my mom and dad bought when they were first married 60 plus years ago …it’s disconnected now and she has a microwave and toaster…My dad died 20 years ago but she’ll never be able to part with the disconnected cooker…I’ve mentioned it could maybe free up the space for a tumble dryer but she’s adamant she doesn’t want one…:slightly_smiling_face:

(((((( Hugs ))))) I still cry sometimes when I think of my dad…there’s a certain song that if I hear it on the radio I’m instantly in tears even 20 years later…

I’m not sure what ‘bots’ are trying to interfere with your posts…I’ve never personally come across them…???

Wishing you all the best for your mini arts centre…! x :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is a ‘bot’ lurking somewhere in SF’s innards, Stella, 'cos I’ve encountered it, James has mentioned it, and it has its own botpic. You ask it questions and it has a number of prescripted answers, on a very limited range of technical web-user topics, but it has very little practical usefulness as far as I’m concerned. It’s a bit like an animated FAQ facility.

It has never in my experience acted autonomously on any of my posts, and it never seemed to be anything other than as I described it.

I tried to find it tonight but saw no reference to it anywhere now. The little icon was like a robot emoji.

2 Likes

I haven’t tested it lately, It having already taught me to keep tabs on length of posts and addressee etc…“you have already written two replies to this poster” …I can’t remember the instruction that follows…its like having a Jack Russell snapping at you feet, when he wants you take the path you have NOT chosen.

Oh my… something lurking, waiting for me to discover it, perhaps … :dizzy_face: I think I’ll leave it undisturbed…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes Peter, you are correct. He is called discobot ( short for Discourse Robot) and he lives within the Discourse open source Internet forum software that SF uses.
He greets new Members (see below) and is built into the system!
Please do not worry he is a very friendly “bot” :grinning:

The pop up alerts/ warnings that Jeanette is referring too - you are typing too fast ( crazy but true) or that you have spoken to the same person on the thread a lot etc… are also built into the Discourse software.

2 Likes

Cheers Tracey - I’m obviously older than the discobot… :hugs:

You most certainly are Stella :rofl:
Discourse is only 6yrs old :birthday:
But has definitely “grown up” fast.
Regularly being updated with new and improved versions over the past few years.

1 Like

I recall with a tear of happiness on my peachy cheek that when I was six my Mum still loved me enough to spit on her pinafore and use the spit to wipe cake crumbs off my grubby face :two_hearts:

Mother-love, doncha love it? :hugs:

Hope Discobot has a Mummybot to keep her nifty! :stuck_out_tongue::robot:

3 Likes

A closer look at the bot image makes me less than certain about how benign it is.

I’m interested in the structure and function of ‘living’ things, and bot’s concern to interact suggests it is in important respect alive (as we “know” it).

Look at bot’s features. No obvious nostrils, suggesting that either it doesn’t breathe or is a mouth-breather.

Four teeth in upper jaw. This makes it almost certain the bot bites, but not that it chews.

The jaw is powerfully hinged suggesting that it may lock down on whatever it bites, so as to sever e.g. an extended hand or fingers, and to swallow them whole.

The teeth could serve no other function, it seems to me. I would be very wary of it.

@anon78757855’s observation that bot chips her sentences into smaller fragments indicates a narrow gullet, into which portions of food are inserted by strong suction into whatever comprises the bot-gut.

We need to know more about this bot before getting into close quarters with it

I suggest wearing oven-gloves while typing as an interim safety measure.

Bon weekend!

PS. Became aware of indistinct clicking and whirring noises while writing this, so will sign o…

1 Like

Is…anybody…there…?
The bots are back…you might ALL be bots…

1 Like

Hiya Jeanettewave
( me waving, to prove I am real and not A.I.)

That clip was quite surreal :crazy_face:
Just goes to show that you can’t beat talking with an actual human being. :rofl:

A+
Traceybot

1 Like

“me waving, to prove I am real and not A.I.”

The Traceybot’s supposed ‘hand’ isn’t waving, it’s just stuck there paralysed and plasticky.

Don’t touch it @anon78757855, it’s probably a lure or bait. Give it a thumb, it could take your arm off! :scream:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip off Peter :laughing:

This wave does look more convincing :wink:

1 Like