What is the French word for - - - - - -

Hi I thought that this could be a useful for those of us with limited French and need the help from more knowledgeable members on the site and that Google Translate etc doesn’t seem to be helping or not useful results.

The first one for me is I need to buy some putty for replacing a broke pane of glass - what is the French for putty.

Thank you

mastic (masc)

https://www.castorama.fr/materiaux-et-gros-œuvre/materiaux/produit-d-etancheite/cartouche-joint-et-silicone/mastic/_/N-9mpZ1z10mi0

2 Likes

Thanks Paul - it is the vitrier part I was missing.

Or if you want traditional putty, then mastic huile de lin or mastic de vitrier

1 Like

Old decorators tip put it on a warm radiator to soften it up & then rub it in until you get a consistent mix then like you would with sticky bread doe flour it with enduit de rebouchage & rub it in (but not too much) it’ll make it easier to handle & harden faster giving you faster painting times.

5 Likes

My french is quite good Mat but I use Deepl.com as a secondary check on any email or letter I send. It’s not 100% but it’s pretty good.

Can anyone help with the French for;

Fine oatmeal
Wholemeal flour

This is to try and make Staffordshire Oatcakes.

Thanks

I would guess that it’s the same. So farine d’avoine, possibly précuite like you use for baby food, and complète or semi-complète for wholemeal.

1 Like

Farine d’avoine, gruau d’avoine, you can get it easily in Biocoop, La Vie Claire, Marché de Leopold etc.
Farine complète is sometimes called farine intégrale but that has more husk in it. Herewith a comparative chart of types of flour.

Delicious, Staffordshire oatcakes - v confusing for me at first because I knew only the Scottish sort :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks @vero that is very useful

I have the Oxford Dictionary of French app in my phone. Apart from simply looking things up, it delivers a ‘word of the day’. I presume it picks these at random. Today’s is ‘acetylene welding’. We have had ‘knickerbockers’, ‘mixed race’ and ‘uncarpeted’.

The interesting thing [to me] about the French for ‘soudage à l’acétylène’ is that it might account for the way Americans pronounce ‘solder’ and ‘soldering’. They don’t pronounce the ‘L’ - it comes out as ‘soder/sodering’

Entries include examples. The entry for ‘spine’ includes 'it sent shivers up and down my spine’ [of pleasure] ‘cela me fait frissoner’.

As opposed to shivers down my spine {of displeasure] - “cela me fait froid dans le dos”

3 Likes

We used to get oatcakes in Lancaster indoor market. they were hanging on poles.
Wonderful creamy Lancashire cheese too and the Polish shop at the entrance to the market.

2 Likes

The “l” is, indeed, an English affectation (though one which comes from the 16th Century).

The silent ‘L’ lingers on. My mother used to pronounce ‘Ralf’ as ‘Rafe’. Haven’t heard anyone say “Fancy a round of goff, old chap?” That died out in the '50’s in UK, I think.

Aren’t Rafe and Ralph two different names? I’ve had Rafe friends, and Ralph friends, and Rafael friends called Rafe for short…

2 Likes

Possibly a family thing… a friend Ralph was always known as Rafe by his family and Ralph by us lesser mortals… :grin: :rofl:

1 Like

Edited because I sound like an idiot.

Well … elaaastic and plaaastic are a bit - ummmm -

Put it this way. I have never, ever heard anyone pronounce those things in that way. Not even the people who say baaaath and laaaarf, as I do myself.

You might get a funny look if you went into Wickes or B & Q and asked for maaaastic.

You say ‘goff’? How wonderfully Wodehouseian

With the Jura accent telling our dog to sit comes out as aaarse-is, not ass-is. Long vowel sounds get everywhere…

This is interesting re solderimg