What is the French word for - - - - - -

I know lots of people who do, which is to be expected, seeing that’s how I say them myself :grin: and so do my children. Golf doesn’t rhyme with cough but is more like orf

I’ve heard ‘goaf’ - it’s how I say it in jest - and ‘goff’ but not ‘gorf’. Along with your elaaaastic, you must be a linguistic sub-tribe as yet undiscovered by academe.

Children are linguistic parrots but don’t necessarily copy their parents. My god daughter speaks in a rather twee, pinched-lipped, poshed-up version of RP. She picked this up at her primary school in The Boltons, a mega-expensive crescent in Kensington, London. Her parents speak in soft Lancashire and Yorkshire. She was mixing with the likes of the children of the Guinness clan. She learned not only how to speak but what to say, such as , “Darling, you just can’t get a cashmere sweater for less than £800” - at age 10.

Children have an ear for accents, of course but may confuse the context. At table one evening, my host’s younger son, aged +/- 6, said of one of the guests, “Dad. Why does Allison talk like a pirate?” Allison is from Cornwall.

? Hardly :grin: most people with whom I went to school and university sound like me.

Could someone please help with the conjugation for Descendre in the passé composé?
I use a tool called Bon Patron which appears to be conflicted. I have sent an email to the site owner.

Descendre can take avoir or être depending on the action and object to which it refers.

2 Likes

https://www.the-conjugation.com/french/verb/descendre.php

I find wordreference.com very good. It gives you lots of supplementary suggestions / information and very clearly shows the circumstances in which you use être and avoir with descendre.

1 Like

There are 14 verbs describing movements that take être in the passé composé when no direct object, but otherwise use avoir.

Aller
Arriver
Descendre
Entrer
Monter
Mourir and Naître (birth and death are biggest movements you can make)
partir
passer
Rester
Sortir
Tomber
Venir

And one more that I forget for the minute…this is one of the few rules of grammaire I remember from school!

1 Like

devenir, revenir, retourner, rentrer.

I missed out Tourner, thanks! But the others are all derivatives of the core verb.

Not retourner.
Obv all the variations on venir work :blush:

In which case I always make a mistake with retourner!

“I missed out Tourner, thanks! But the others are all derivatives of the core verb.”

What? I think we have our wires crossed - je suis retournée au lit but j’ai retourné le matelas :blush:
Tourner is conjugated with avoir, retourner with être unless it takes a direct object.

Obv you have se tourner which is reflexive and takes être.

Senior moment! :older_woman:t3::woman_with_turban:t3:

Any chance of an example sentence for descendre using être and avoir please?

Je suis descendue à la cave.
J’ai descendu les briques de lait à la cave.

And ‘à la cave’ is what we call a ‘complément circonstanciel de lieu’ :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks. Much appreciated folks

That looks good, thanks Sue.

I am fed up with je suis retournee au lit.
I just want to get better.

1 Like

Bon rétablissement Jane, keep cosy and recharge your batteries :bouquet: