What is the French word for - - - - - -

And try taking the tablets.
I think I have a chest infection, but I try to avoid taking antibiotics.

Oh that is grim, have you got a stash sous le coude for if you need them? What does your dr say?

I have exactly that. I always seemed to get ill at the weekend, so I have them on my prescription.
He knows that I don’t misuse them.

1 Like

Ils sont venus à vélo nous voir - Is this correct?
Assimil gave me - edit Duolingo not Assimil
Ils sont venus nous voir à vélo - certainly appears incorrect in English if translated to
‘They came to see us by bike’. I would expect ’ They came by bike to see us’.

Thanks

Ils sont venus nous voir à vélo

Your translate’y thing is translating correct french into correct english. Although I guess you might say ‘ they came by bike to see us’ in english? Not sure I would…

Duolingo gives Ils sont venus nous voir à vélo = They came to see us by bike. TBH it’s not the greatest.

But correct!

The thing is that things change in translation - if translating into English from German would you it normal find the verb at the end to put? Of course not because what is correct word order in one language isn’t necessarily the same in another.
A normal question in French is eg “On se voit a quelle heure?” Which translates to “we see us at which time?”

1 Like

The problem is I have seen so much nonsense on the Duolingo course. I don’t expect word order to echo English.
Thanks Jane and Véronique

Another thing came up - presumably French houses have les plafonds and not just un plafond as Duo would have me believe.

Depends on what you want to say!

1 Like

Nous sommes plus heureux maintenant qu’on a divorcé.

The language course Duolingo uses ‘on’ for ‘we’ frequently. Could someone please tell me if
this is good French?

“On”is used a lot now in speech, far less so in written French. It is a very neutral way of talking about people in general, and also a slightly lazy way as don’t have to worry so much about verb ending. It is current and acceptable French. Well I hope so as I use it loads!

In that particular sentence to me it would be better to stick to one form throughout, whether nous or on. And also for me there would be an “s” on divorcés.

2 Likes

I use “on” when talking… but not when writing…

Bog standard everyday familiar French (spoken and also written but depends on the level). Nous is more correct but now only used for more formal speech (sounds almost odd/out of place when used with familiar vocab) and written French. :wink:

qu’on a divorcé -vs- qu’on est divorcés :wink:

1 Like

Should have cleaned my glasses!

1 Like

must confess, I don’t write much French… too busy chatting… :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes:

but I do read a lot…

Great thanks everyone.

Alas you would be wrong - on is like il and elle, grammatically singular; and in any case when verbs are conjugated with avoir as an auxiliary the past participle doesn’t agree.
cf on parle français, on est heureux de vous accueillir

2 Likes

Yes, Andrew pointed out I had read sentence incorrectly to start with!

1 Like