What out, watch out.. there's a storm about

Tie everything down and take care…

1 Like

Rain is pelting down here. Feels like February today, cold damp and dark. Definitely need my socks and the heating is on.

I’ve lit the fire… brrrrr

1 Like

Got my new/old barograph working, bought at a VG last W/E, what it’s indicating, aint good, steeply down, and getting steeper :roll_eyes:

:fearful: sounds ominous, can you post any photos of this contraption… ?? :wink:

I will ask Madam Stella, beyond my Tech level that :slightly_smiling_face:

:grin::grin: I’ve just checked on google… looks amazing… much more involved than the 1920’s wall-hanging Barometer/Thermometer which the burglars disdained to steal when they cleared out my Dad’s house. :thinking:

I remember him calling out to us “don’t tap it”… throughout his life… yet, I find myself (even now) still tapping it gently as I pass by. :hugs:

Interesting machine, always wanted one, but too expensive, or in poor ‘nick’, saw this one and the lady came down a lot without me asking, when I assured Her it was not for resale, it was Her Hubbys, He had cared for it well, made in Paris.

1 Like

Already had a violent thunderstorm here last night, at 1 am terrified,:frowning_face::nauseated_face: I crept downstairs to sleep with the cat on the sofa ! Another one forecast for tonight :scream::scream::scream::scream:

2 Likes

We’ve not got any storms forecast here but I do empathise…the first one I experienced here felled many neighbourhood trees and put the electric out for the whole of our little commune for 48 hours…La tempeste felled one of my Apple trees…it still sits at right angles but still blossoms and grows apples and black kites use it as a perch…I used to have a Collie who was terrified of thunderstorms but rather than run and hide she would just run…and could clear 6 foot obstacles without a second thought if we happened to be outside when the first thunder started…trouble was she could hear it or sense it way before any of us…loud music in the house and Bach flower rescue remedy helped but bless her heart she never really relaxed until the storm was over…

1 Like

2 Likes

When I was young we had a big cupboard under the stairs…mum used to hide in it till the storm was over. She never ever liked them😂

1 Like

My fear of storms harks back to my childhood. I was home from school, bronchitis, asthma and there was an extremely violent storm during the day time. Luckily my mum was at home too as there were several ‘thunderbolts’ locally, one hit our garden and opened up an old well . Another hit 2 doors away and sent a tree up in flames. The worse was at the old manor where it struck an oast house. The noise, smell and fear still are lodged in my head !
To make things worse we had a storm locally here in France a few years ago where a neighbours house (maison secondaire) empty at the time , was struck and partially destroyed by fire, the pompiers were dealing with that when there were two other strikes within maybe 400 metres. One they rescued a man from his bedroom and were able to put the fire out quickly, the other took out all the electrics and started a minor fire. 3 fire appliances were here and it was frightning.
As my bedroom is in the grenier and the house is exposed on a hill I now worry that it will strike the chimney leaving me trapped in the bedroom.
Stupid I know, but in the wee small hours can’t stop the brain turning or heart from pounding :frowning:

2 Likes

Love watching storms…power of nature and all that. Not so keen on on their side effects though. They are a lot more serious here than any I can recall in the UK.

1 Like

I love watching storms for the same reasons Chris…even standing out in them and connecting with the power of nature…In U.K. I once lived close to what was referred to locally as “the lightening tree”…it was hit historically …never returned to life but never chopped down…Here they seem to cause even more damage and the one that caused lights out in our commune was pretty frightening to say the least…The Collies I have now are pretty much stable and well adjusted but we still spent the first night of that particular tempest piled on top of each other…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I hate storms crashing overhead… I used to love watching them over the horizon, out to sea… fabulous…:relaxed:

1 Like

We got back from a walk a few hours ago, that was supposed to be a nice after-Sunday-lunch circular 10k stroll…and ended up a long, rain sodden, bunch of awfulness. Just as we were about to turn back as could see rain clouds forming, the dog ran off after a goat. After 30 minutes it started to hail, then thunder and lightening. So OH decided to go after dog and fell into a monstrous bramble patch and couldn’t get out and we couldn’t find him. Dreadful. Dog of course reappeared looking pleased with himself half an hour later. Eventually daughter finally found OH and we trudged home, soaked, OH dripping blood everywhere and all of us shivering. We have spent the rest of the evening pulling out thorns…

So yes there’s a storm about!

3 Likes

How awful…! You couldn’t find your husband in the bramble patch or your dog…??? Either way…sending (((((( Huge Hugs )))))) Homeopathic silica is great for expelling thorns or any other foreign bodies…xxx

1 Like

Certainly a walk to remember Jane. The bad weather always makes things seem worse, although falling into a bramble patch in sunshine would be just as bad!
At least you are all home safely, albeit a bit worse for wear. Hope that by now you are all snug and warm with a glass of something sustaining. :thinking:

3 Likes

Only time one frightened me, was sailing down the Irish Sea in a ‘good’ thunderstorm, the lightning hitting the sea alongside, as red bolts was a bit ‘bum clenching’ :roll_eyes:

1 Like