What out, watch out.. there's a storm about

It was OH in the bramble patch…basically forgot the first rule of hiking which is to avoid getting yourself in sticky situations in the first place as he was so worried that the dog had got hurt.

He still has some thorns in him that are looking a bit angry, so thanks for tip on homeopathic silica. I’ll pop down to chemist - is it same word in french?

1 Like

If you have any of these around its worth a try Jane … Tea Tree essential oil. A great natural antiseptic, I always have it in the house. Drip 2 drops onto the cushion side of a plaster and cover the thorn/splinter. Leave for 2 hours, remove plaster and the thorn should easily be squeezed out.

Other Natural Remedies for Splinters and thorns

Hydrogen Peroxide. Pour some hydrogen peroxide in a cup and immerse your finger with the splinter in it for 4 minutes. This will soften up skin and enable the splinter to come out easily.
Castor Oil. Apply a little amount of castor oil on the splinter, cover with a band-aid or bandage and leave it overnight. The next morning, the splinter will come off as easy as anything.
Epsom salt bath. Throw two cups of Epsom salts into a very warm bath. Soak for 15-20 minutes with the splintered area in the water. The splinter should loosen up and fall right off.
Baking soda. Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with just enough water to form a non-drippy paste. Apply to the affected area. Leave it on for about 30-40 minutes and watch that splinter surface so you can easily remove it! It can pop out itself sometimes so you just have to be ready with your pair of tweezers!

3 Likes

Following on from your Ordnance Survey post I imagine that you live in a particularly dangerous bit of countryside. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We can sometimes see huge storms cloud to cloud over Switzerland.
Extremely dramatic.
It was cold, wet and windy last night, but not what could be called a huge storm.
Living in the west you have all the weather coming off the Atlantic which has usually dissipated bt the time it reaches us.

1 Like

We’re actually on holiday in the Pyrenees, so more benign terrain than we’re used to! Which is probably why we weren’t paying full attention both times and just strolling on in holiday mode…

3 Likes

I was always taught to take more care in the mountains. I’d hate to think how potentially dangerous you normal walking area is. :slight_smile:

Depends where in the mountains…we were just walking along the GR10 by Spanish border, so never more than a few km from habitation and a nice wide path with reasonable gradient, so it was more a matter of not paying attention. After all you can fall into a bramble patch just about anywhere in France. And if that hadn’t happened we would have been home before the storm got to us…

2 Likes

Could fall in one in our garden , had a hol’ in that area, thunderstorm every evening, didn’t last long happily, but a good ‘rumble’ :neutral_face:

The weather has gone barking mad…:zipper_mouth_face:

I’m waiting for Frankie Howard and his crew from ‘Up Pompei’ to rush out saying " woe is me, woe is me !"
Don’t forget it’s still early Stella, still time yet for some snow in June ! :wink: :snowflake::snowman::snowman_with_snow::cloud_with_snow::snowflake::snowflake::snowflake::snowboarder:

1 Like

You prophet of doom !! but, you could be right.

Somewhere in the depths of my computer… is a photo I took of my neighbour holding 4 huge hailstones in his hand… and they filled his hand. The month was July, but the year escapes me. We had a wonderful hailstorm that came out of nowhere and he rushed to our house so I could take his photo with “the proof” as he reckoned his family in Paris would never believe him. :relaxed:

1 Like

I still get my homeopathic remedies from Helios in UK…My local pharmacy does have a small range of homeopathic products but not all of my go to first aid ones…How is your husband today…???

I put up deer mesh all around the perimeter of the “field” when I first got here…not to keep deer out but to keep my Collies from inadvertently wandering into surrounding farm land…I’ve let the brambles grow up the mesh but if I spot one trying to establish itself anywhere in the middle then it’s a goner…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just been reading about folk being swept by huge waves…in UK… and one man died. Then I see a photo of a woman taking a “selfie” while the waves crash behind her…

I cannot understand folk, who deliberately go onto piers, walk along proms etc etc when the weather is so awful…tempting fate, or what…:zipper_mouth_face:

Subsequently, they put in danger, those folk who try to rescue them… :rage:

1 Like

Because I’m doing my “cure” at the moment I snuck home some argile verte, which seems to have done the trick. We got what we hope was the last thorn out last night. But granddaughter still screams when she sees him as his face is so scratched.

1 Like

Do you get blackberries ???

1 Like

Yes lots of blackberries…made a few blackberry and apple crumbles and put loads of blackberries in the freezer…I love them heated up in a splash of brandy and served over ice cream…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lucky you… I have to wait for pals to pass me their excess fruit…

OH can’t stand the pips, so I strain the pulp and make seedless jam/puree … adding to apples is wonderful.

Sometimes I add alcohol (hic)after the cooking stage…and use it as a relish…it goes .with anything from ice-cream to cheese… and many things in between… :relaxed:

1 Like

Mam used to make blackberry jelly :yum:, pleased to announce, the line on the barograph is rising steadily, as is the mercury in the other baro’ :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

A whole heap of memories come with this barometer… :relaxed::upside_down_face::wink:

1 Like