What rights does the Carte de Séjour give you in the rest of EU?

Thanks for the encouragement @an_droo and @JaneJones I am a sloooow learner and even with twice a week lessons and (nearly) 5 years residency, it’s a struggle - I think it’s a battle between learning as hard as I can and increasing decrepitude :smiley:

(Although it would be really convenient for me not to do an exam, I certainly accept your point, Andrew, about what naturalisation means… )

1 Like

I found watching films on TV with French subtitles whether in French or English helped a lot. Then having the car radio on one of the French radio stations (the type that do supermarket ads) on any long journey seemed to help by osmosis. That last one only lasted till we got within range of Radio 4 LongWave and my partner would insist we stay on it as he completely, competely struggled with French.

My French is still rubbish but people seem to understand me and I them
a lot of the time now. I think once you ease up on yourself and accept that perfection is not expected and any effort much appreciated the pressure goes off.

PS My other breakthrough was when I read a book by Lucia van der Post which at that time had the best tips on shopping in Paris that I’ve ever seen.

She explained that when people in Paris are rude or brusque and that can include shop assistants, know that it’s absolutely not because you’re English or speak French badly. It’s because you are not Parisian and they are the same with any French person from the provinces. Gather up your courage and sweep on even in really bad French : it works

Everything helps, TV, radio, books, grammar books, it really is a case of immersing yourself and excepting that you won’t understand everything, just try and go with the flow :wink:

1 Like

My opinion on learning another language is that as a couple if you speak your native tongue at home ,progress in that other language is slow if non existant because you don’t think in that language.The other thing is that learning to write before speaking makes you self conscious about making mistakes which completly fuddles the brain.

Agree, the whole “expat bubble” thing slows people down enormously, but I do understand people staying in it. It’s so much easier and people get the best of both worlds (live in France and speak English) … until they need to communicate outside the bubble. Language learning is a marathon not a sprint :wink:

Yes, absolutely. I was hampered for many years as OH speaks French completely fluently and although he tried to hide it I was conscious of his internal shudders at my many mistakes. However we met a couple who became extremely good friends and she just encouraged me to speak, even if totally garbled. So I did. It works, although I still make grammatical mistakes I can chatter away happily.

French people speak French and can make sense of whatever you say.

I don’t think its an expat bubble as such , just speaking your native tongue at home which wouid be the norm for any family, blocks the learning process.

2 Likes

Theres the problem grammatical mistakes. Its like a sword over your head.How many grammatical errors do es anyone make in their own language without batting an eyelid.

I hesitated before using the term “expat bubble” although for many I think it is just that. I know people who speak English at home, with friends (as they’re all English or speak English) and for most of their activities. Just need a couple of phrases when buying their baguette in the morning, that’s all. A couple of lessons a week but wonder why they don’t progress. It’s a difficult one which is why I suggest taking from all sources, trying to immerse yourself as far as possible. Try speaking in French as home, treat it as a game :wink:

I’m not preaching though, my kids struggle beyond the basics in English :frowning:

2 Likes

For me I lived on my own for five years,before getting married, there was no internet no sattalite tv just workmates and vincent la gaff, then pillow talk😀

2 Likes

because they’re French perhaps… :thinking:

1 Like

Exactly, Graham, and we’re a francophone household, my fault, I have bouts of speaking to them in English but it invariably doesn’t last long as it’s so much easier in French so I do understand people talking English all the time

1 Like

I remember those years, no sfn or internet or anything, 100% French sink or swim! :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m sure that my mis-conjugation of verbs is the source of much hilarity to the locals and quests I use my French on. It’s not helped by my last formal French lessons being in the late 1970s and were probably out of date then.

Even out in the sticks, it’s surprising how many of the locals speak remarkably good English when you attempt to speak their language. The proprietor of a local pool supply store shocked me the other day, though I knew he understood some English from our previous encounters.

I was buying new 12V lamps for the pool lights and I asked him something along the lines of “Are you sure these are the correct size?” in French and got the curt replay “Of course I am sure. There is only one size and I have been selling that size for 20 years.” in perfect English.

1 Like

I don’t have tv here, which is difficult as I’m sure it would help. However, I read French books, only ever speak French outside the home and am increasingly speaking it at home too. It gets more familiar and I have a reasonable vocabulary. What worries me most, I think, is the written aspect of the French exams, partly because my grammar is definitely deteriorating (although using Frantastique on @JaneJones 's recommendation helps) and being increasingly deaf means that the dictation aspect is tricky too. However, onwards and upwards… :smiley:

1 Like

It sounds like you’re good enough already.

2 Likes

I only wish you were right, Karen :thinking:

Could you get TV replay services on your phone?

The mobile phone signal here is even worse than the landline and that’s saying something! To be fair, though, when my partner lets me stay over in his little escape pod in town, we do watch tv then :smiley: