What rights does the Carte de Séjour give you in the rest of EU?

Before we got a phone line here, and I was stuck on my own in a freezing house with no roof, I used to take my tablet to the McDo’s in town and download stuff. And then return and creep into bed with a huge number of blankets.

or DVDs…? Lot’s of things with subtitles.

2 Likes

Hello please check the link ,you have a right to move another eu country but suggest you to get French passport.

Movement and residence.

Hello, @Rayhan_Bekmezci and welcome to Survive France.

Your link is very useful for EU citizens but of little relevance to carte de sejour holders or 3rd country nationals who hold a residence permit for an EU country…

This from German website but the rules same please check

The WARP card that most British residents hold in France is not the same as a long term EU card.

So the rules are not the same as the link you posted.

So you can’t move to another EU country and do a straight swap with a long term card from that country without loosing the WARP agreement rights.

And the WARP rights are valuable - you can leave for 5 years not 3. You have confirmation of access to UK healthcare if necessary, you have confirmation of pension uplifts. And for those who only have a 5 year WARP card the swap to a 10 year one is likelyu to be easier and not require a language test, For the EU card you do need A2 (which is pretty basic, but still have to do it).

1 Like

Exactly if you have carte de séjour not titre séjour you have a right to move another EU country and you have a right to live and work but the best just get the French passport.

Umm no that is not true!

2 Likes

A titre de séjour is really just the generic term for a permit that allows you to be here. The carte de séjour describes the specific category, for example

• Carte de séjour “vie privée et familiale”
  • Carte de séjour “salarié” ou “travailleur temporaire”
  • Carte de séjour “entrepreneur/profession libérale”
  • Carte de séjour TUE 50 “ (commonly called WARP card)
  • Carte de séjour “passeport talent”

And yes you can go to other EU countries with the long term CdS’s, but you then have to fulfil teh residence criteria of that country. Only Europeans have full freedom of movement.

And you can’t just “get”citizenship! It can be along process.

1 Like

If you have a indefinite leave to remain any eu country you have right to move and ask another indefinite leave to remain that country you moved this is giving you freedom of move and work also education in another EU countries. I am sure because I did it. Thanks

Interesting, have you got a government link to that,?

Check European Union Web page, but as I said became a French is better and easier way

Yup, anyone can apply for leave to stay in another EU country. But having an existing carte de.séjour in France gives you a small advantage, at first, to go to the other country then within 3 months you’d have to make the application for leave to.stay there.

As compared with most 3rd country nationals (say, Turkey) who wouldn’t necessarily (=may have, or may not )have the right to go to the new country for the initial.3 months for the purpose of staying permanently.

So there is a small advantage for holders of some titres de séjour, but it doesn’t last for long.

People from 3rd countries who don’t have any existing titre de séjour in an EU country can always still apply, of course.

Sorry I can’t point to the source reference but it was in a document posted on here from an authoritative source posted in past 3-6 months or so.

2 Likes

Each country in the EU has the right to qualify the overarching EU wide agreement. Some have and some haven’t. So anyone wanting to move from one country to another should check the details. Some countries are quite strict.

I think you are not helping by implying there is a standard solution accessible to all across the 27 countrirs.

Equally getting nationality is not an automstic thing. And for some nationals getting an EU nationality means giving up their existing one
so it’snot a simple choice. But I guess you’ve done that too…

2 Likes