What's going on with AstraZeneca?

The Jenner Istitute isn’t solely funded by the EU - as that statement seems to imply. It’s funded by the University, the UK government, various drug companies and the UK Institute for Animal Health.

2 Likes

The statement that was in European and French papers, The Local etc was.

“The real problem on AstraZeneca is that it doesn’t work the way we were expecting it to,” Macron told a group of reporters, including POLITICO, in Paris. “We’re waiting for the EMA [European Medicines Agency] results, but today everything points to thinking it is quasi-ineffective on people older than 65, some say those 60 years or older.”

1 Like

I do know they had the option to continue, so it is definately an unfriendly act upon their British neighbours not to do so.

So the continuing impact of Brexit on their silly minds is illustrated.

1 Like

It could well be that because there have been so few people who were vaccinated in Germany and France that these people already had Covid and it was the Covid causing the thromboses.

Or maybe the jabs were badly administered ? Maybe there was an airlock or something in the phial etc etc ? Maybe the needles were infected ?
Maybe loads of things…

1 Like

I’m with @Jane_Williamson on that suggestion although one has also to consider perhaps what, in the UK at least, is regarded as a Covid related death/incidence.
The true figure might surely be masked by people who have a tendency to thrombosis which was accelerated by a Covid condition but were not “on the Covid radar” so to speak so not counted.

1 Like

Of course they had the option. But I imagine it had nothing to do with being unfriendly but more likely not wanting to stir up problems by showing favoritism. If they do limit their christmas boxes to those on the electoral roll then imagine the fuss if they then gave them to some people who were not on it, but not all.

Do you actually know what the criteria for christmas meal/gift in that commune is for sure? And that doesn’t mean what a local person has told you unless it’s the mayor/secretary showing you the written constitution - small villages are full of incorrect rumours (including by secretaries).

in the syringe normally, which is why an initial “squirt” is established to purge any airlock and to ensure a free flow of the product. It’s a long time ago no but ISTR that injecting air into someone like that can be dangerous so great care is always taken.

1 Like

I don’t find anything wrong, either with calling it after Oxford, or the university being proud of its achievements.
It’s so interesting how one person says something, and others hear something entirely different!

What I said was that calling it ‘British’ was a misrepresentation (because it is the product of international collaboration), and that there were probably nationalistic motives for always referring to it as ‘Oxford’ in the UK, rather than just AZ as other countries generally do.

I was trying to answer a specific question from Roger - to give an explanation for the different nomenclatures, and the perception in the UK that foreigners are ‘picking on’ the AZ vaccine because they are anti-Brit. I wasn’t really making a value judgement at all.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what the Beeb reported, too. They said the statement was categorically wrong, which it certainly is.

It undoubtedly contributed to the already strong vaccine hesitancy which is a major problem in France

1 Like

Interesting! I learnt something today!

1 Like

More on the clotting.

Yes I know Graham , I gave my late wife jabs most days for the last years of her life. Out of the hundreds of millions of jabs given every year it would not be unreasonable to suggest a handful may be badly administered, or the needles were not completely sterilized or they were utilized more than once etc etc etc.

When I was having insulin jabs (thankfully stabilised now so just monitoring required) there was always an insistence that the needle was ejected in to a sealable box. That stil happens with the finger prick tester and I’d be very surprised in a modern western society if this wasn’t common practice.
Indeed, the health care profesionals I have come across both a domicile and à l’hôpital have been absolutely fanatical about care in the vicinity of needles

1 Like

Solid theory - if the Political leaders had worked on this premis there could have been a process of testing before vaccinating

Jane that is such a good point. Although worringly it’s affecting more women than men. Perhaps occupational exposure.

Quite possibly every vaccine will turn out to have potential negatives but with the risks so much higher if someone catches it you can see why governments are referring to the statistical likelihood for the AZ issue being at below a nano level

UK finally takes action on AZ:

1 Like

Do you worry everytime you go out in a car, or walk down a highstreet with busy traffic !

1 Like

very true unfortunately

1 Like

I’m getting bored with this whole AZ debate and the risks or not…far more chance of dying from a (car) accident or other natural cause.
If the world is going to reopen anytime soon we just need get jabs into arms once the regulators pass it as safe…and 40 problems (20 deaths ?) in 18 MILLION seems infinitesimal to me…and I and wife (and friends sub 60) have had AZ and will have second without any qualms…but I might give up driving, it seems high risk!

2 Likes