What's going on with AstraZeneca?

Is that 1 in 20,000 collisions or 1 in 20,000 car journeys? If the latter, I’m well overdue a fatal crash. :thinking::confused:

1 Like

The risk of this type of rare blood clot works out at one in 250,000, or 0.0004%

But…

• Pulmonary embolism, or clotting on the lungs, occurs in 7.8% of people who have COVID-19

• Deep vein thrombosis (DVT), or clotting in the legs, occurs in 11.2% of people who have COVID-19

• Of those who have COVID-19 and end up in an intensive therapy unit (ITU), 23% will have some form of clot

• COVID-19 causes strokes in 1.6% of people

• Up to 30% of people who have COVID-19 will get thrombocytopenia, which is a lowering of the platelet count.

Source: [news.sky.com/story/covid-19…]

2 Likes

You’d better get yourself a bike, I haven’t seen any statistics for those.

Yes, it would be unreasonable because it should never happen.

1 Like

BUT BUT BUT - these whole population figures are not relevant to a situation where some sections of the population are 9,000 times more likely to die after covid infection than other sections.

The key issue here is that the known fatal side effect of AZ, although rare, seems to be indiscriminate, indeed might be higher among those least likely to suffer severe covid anyway.

The true statistical picture that seems to be emerging is that older people reduce their risk of dying by taking AZ - children and young people probably not. The outstanding issue is at what age you shouldn’t take AZ (if your main concern is risk of death) - the UK has gone for 30, France for 55. UK right at the risky end by international standards, France more in line with other countries, but maybe on the evidence to date a bit over-cautious. All in line with each countries’ general approach to the pandemic, I would say.

According to my youngest d i l in A&E and Covid wards it can and does happen , very rarely but it does happen.

Sorry Geof but you cannot say this,there appears to be a link it is being closely looked into ,action is being taken etc You are not in a position to call it a ‘known fatal side effect’

Have you been vaccinated with the AZ vaccine Peter?
If you were going to get one of these extremely rare thromboses you would have had a raging headache commencing four days after vaccination.
there have been no confirmed cases of thromboses occurring after a second vaccination.

1 Like

Sure. But trying to give this some perspective to show that the risk are actually small.

3 Likes

Don’t confuse him with the facts Jane, his mind is made up.

4 Likes

It’s all starting to become faintly rediculous :thinking:
Everything carries a risk in life, I could get hit by a bus, lightning, trip up, get stung, have a reaction to any one of the medication I am on, the list is endless, if I am eventually offered the AZ vaccine I will take it as I don’t want to be trapped in perpetual restrictions/ lockdowns and I will quite happily take my chances with the miniscule chance of anything bad happening to me to get me out of this covid mess and get as normall a life back as possible.

4 Likes

As someone with no real interest in this issue either way does feel like this is equally true for everyone commenting though, which is why I just keep hoping the thread will die off. Everyone without exception seems equally as guilty of this to me from what I’ve read.

2 Likes

Given that all sharps should be safely disposed-of and anything intended to be reused (eg a procedure trolley) wiped down and cleaned with alcohol the only way a needle could be accidentally reused would be a pretty big failure to follow procedures, even on a busy Covid ward or ED.

I suppose that sharps which are intended for re-use for a single patient such as insulin pens could get used on the wrong patient, but I’d think even that pretty unlikely.

Not impossible, but I’d worry about any scenario where it happened enough to not be a huge thing if spotted.

2 Likes

After consulting my MT today, despite previously indicating that he could provide the AZ vaccination, he has now provided an ordonnance for an ARN alternative because of my various medical conditions and vulnerabilities so it looks like I’ll be Modernised or Pfizered. Earlier this week, my Cardiologist at my contrôle review was keen for this to take place.

Absolutely

I obviously don’t know how senior your DiL is in the nursing profession but even as a lowly student nurse on her initial sorties, the culture is surely to identify and report concerns up the command chain, as I’m sure @Eddie will confirm.

I certainly am worried about the drivers around here, they are definitely the worst I have seen in France.

No John, I’m not particularly worried about myself re Covid or vaccinations but it does worry me when I hear the local hospital has no more room to take Covid or the usual A & E patients.

No Jane, I’m still waiting…

I do have one, though at 82 my excursions are limited to shopping in town. Drivers are on the whole very forgiving and forebearing.

Just discovered something interesting: Google’s parent company, Alphabet, owns 12% of Vaccitech, the biotech firm behind the AZ vaccine.
Sometimes I almost get why people believe in conspiracy theories.

So it’s advertisements, not mind controlling microchips they’re imjecting into arms?

2 Likes