What's going on with AstraZeneca?

On a good day :slight_smile: I hope she doesn’t contract Covid, I think she’d struggle.

It’s getting very tedious.

Insight from CiF …

Bloody European Union!
First they arrogantly demand their share of the vaccines they’ve paid for, now they’re telling us that some of them might be dangerous to OAPs just because more over 65s die after getting them!
Well we plucky Brits didn’t win two world cups and defeat the Nazi menace single handed in the Falklands only to be told what’s best for us by a shower of doctors and scientists!
No! We will stand - maskless and proud before our mighty statues of slave-owners!
If our Prime minister with his degree in classics, and his vast experience of fathering illegitimate children and writing racist articles says it’s safe, then that’s good enough for us pure-blooded English!

6 Likes

To be honest it is getting to the point I have just about stopped reading any of it, the stench of political bollocks from both sides is getting to be unbearable.
The amount of political toys getting thrown out of their respective prams is getting tedious.

2 Likes

That’s quite a statement Fleur, are you sure it’s correct?

A tongue in cheek comment of course!

Looking forward to seeing what EMA says this afternoon.

As I commented elsewhere, I find it interesting that the Germans aren’t using AZ to inoculate the over 65s because there’s no proof that it’s effective and the British are inoculating over 65s because there’s no proof it’s not. It’s not easy being over 65 in a pandemic :roll_eyes:

You’re right John. Just because there’s no proof something is true doesn’t mean it isn’t true. It’s worth a bet, surely…?

1 Like

Interesting personal situation for me. If the EMA or France only licenses/recommends the AstraZeneca for under-65s, that includes me - but only just! I will therefore probably be among the first to be offered it - but if they’re saying it’s dangerous or not very effective for over-65s, would I actually be better off waiting longer for another type of vaccine?

2 Likes

I think the EMA will authorise the AZ vaccine with a simple note about the over 65’s trial results, it will then be up to the individual countries to decide what to do.

I’d go for a 90%er myself Geof, rather than a dodgy AZ. Even if it takes a bit longer.

Meanwhile looking a Section 5.4. AZ may be goosed. If the EU and UK contracts conflict on plant usage then I wouldn’t like to be the AZ CEO (or Legal lead).

1 Like

I would prefer BioNTech or Moderna myself Geof, with their higher efficacy.

This is political posturing by the EU, lead by Macron because the French developed vaccine trials have been abandoned and he was wanting the EU to use the French one - so also due to EU bureaucracy they are months behind the UK in approving the Astra Zeneca vaccine - at last approved for ALL age groups- which hopefully will be some comfort for Macron and his 67 year old wife?

1 Like

I somehow think she will have been vaccinated already :wink:

No doubt it has caused dismay that the home of the cholera vaccine and anthrax vaccines hasn’t managed to come up with the goods this time. One might have expected more and it probably will cause a deep reassessment of capability.

But there hundred of millions of lives at risk Gordon. The only leaders I have heard add a jingoistic or nationalist spin (as in World beating) to their attempts to the combat the virus are Trump and Johnson. Maybe Putin has but I haven’t heard it. Nor have I heard Merkel crowing about Germany’s success, but we hear the Johnson gang crowing constantly about his punt on vaccination (thankfully) working out. I think you do M. Macron a disservice.

I’d also draw to your attention the fact that the UK approval was an “emergency” one. I’m sure everyone in the MRHA heaved a sigh of relief and were delighted when the results from the EMA full scale one were made known to them.

3 Likes

I agree there are hundreds of millions of lives at risk - which should have been taken into account by the EU instead of delaying their orders and approval process.

2 Likes

Ahh, Gordon. You’re drinking the Tory Kool-Aid.

2 Likes

Thanks John - that must explain how UK has already vaccinated over 10 percent of the population

Indeed, as Tory HQ would say. UK good EU bad, we’re lucky to have escaped. It’s all so bleeding predictable.

What about the 100,000 plus victims of Tory incompetence, shall we ignore those? One can’t really “cherry pick” aspects of Johnson’s performance, can we now?

5 Likes

So are the 76,000 odd COVID related deaths in France an indication of Macron’s incompetence?

1 Like

So I suppose the vaccine knows you’ve turned 65 and decides it won’t be effective anymore.

1 Like