What's up with youtube?

I use (d) Youtube a lot, but from about 18Oct I can’t, basically.

Because I run an adblocker (plus Malwarebytes also blocks bits of youtube (I think)) then any attempt to watch something on youtube gets

’ Ad blockers violate YouTube’s Terms of Service

It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Video playback is blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.
Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.
You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium and creators can still get paid from your subscription. 

I obviously disabled adblock plus and malwarebytes - at first this worked, but last 2 or 3 days they have tightened even more and I now cannot get past the message.

There’s another thread on this.

Essentially, some of us are getting blocked and others (me included) wonder what the fuss is about, because we’re using ad blockers without any problem.

I had the same problem but I removed Adblock Plus which I have used for a long time and replaced it with AdBlocker Ultimate on my Chrome browser and it seems to have cured it.

I’ve just stumbled upon something interesting on YouTube. I clicked on a link on my phone, which is set up in French (to make me practice my language skills). The subject isn’t really relevant, but it was uploaded by Mark Rober, an American guy who previously worked for Nasa but now makes entertaining videos about engineering.

I know that for many years now YouTube has been able to transcribe the subtitles into foreign languages, but this is the first time I’ve seen them also dub the actual audio track into a foreign language too. The video is available in 13 languages!

Even more impressive, the background music and sound effects from the original version appear to have been kept in the dubbed version somehow. I’d heard a British car vlogger (Mat Armstrong) talk about this feature coming soon, but this is the first time I’ve actually seen it being used.

:exploding_head:

Thanks - I’d not seen that before.

Listening to the French and SA Spanish, they’re (to my ear, anyway) obviously not machine-generated.

I suppose if you’ve got interesting content and 27M followers, it’s financially worthwhile to pay for native speakers to voice your narrative!

I’m not sure whether Mark Rober has paid for a native speaker to do it. I’ve not seen it on any of his other ones. Mat Armstrong said it’s a feature YouTube are deploying soon, as he’s previously paid voiceover artists to do it for him.

There was another video shared not so long ago about an AI tool that could swap languages and even modify the video so the mouth moved naturally in time to the dubbed language… I’ll see if I can dig it out.

Edit: This one: https://youtu.be/AACmqiiJJS4?si=LgWm8XfOrtgugNxo I wonder if YT is doing something similar.

1 Like

Fascinating! It sounded more fluent in French than in American.

1 Like

An amazing guy - I’ve been binge watching his videos.
AFAIK not formally trained.

1 Like

Yeah he started out fixing his girlfriend’s Audi TT on his driveway at the start of the pandemic, and it all took off from there. His dad was a mechanic, I believe. I’m not sure I’d have the confidence to drive a supercar that I’d rebuilt myself in my own garage without any formal training :smiley:

He’s fascinating to listen to about managing social media too… he’s very switiched on about that and saw the potential and is maximising YT for all it’s worth. Good on him :slight_smile:

I confess to watching his videos pretty regularly. He seems an interesting guy.

I just wish he’d speak something that vaguely conformed to the grammatical norms of English :frowning:

Haha, yeah and his accent really grinds my gears… not sure where he’s from. Perhaps Leicester or Coventry way. It’s almost as bad as a Brummie accent :smiley:

The accent I can cope with - it’s the mangling of English that gets under my skin.

Leicester BTW

It appears there’s only 25 letters in the Leicester alphabet then, as he never pronounces the letter T

1 Like

If you’re into classical music there are loads of recordings of all sorts of music in lots of different versions, mostly audio. Fascinating to compare.

I’m finding that YT is today again showing ads. Hopefully the people at UBO will find another fix.