Where are you getting your fix since Brexit

Ahhh see for me that is comfort food, I’ve gone as far as searching out the most perfect ‘plastic bread’ in France (Lidls Pain Nature), so much of it either too sweet or toosmall, this one is perfect Aussie substitute!. For me peanut butter on white toast, vegemite on white toast, ham, cheese, salad sandwich (about 7 cm high, don’t skimp on the salad stuff!) on crap white bread all says home to me! When I first got to Frnace in the late 90s of course there was only grossly sweet ‘pain de mie’ or baguettes, and yes I love baguettes of course BUT don’t always hit the mark for my comfort!

Where is the nearest Sainsburys to Charente?
And no, it’s not just ‘for hot water’.

I love baguettes too, but cutting them into neat little triangles is almost impossible! :sandwich:

White sliced bread made by the Chorleywood process - ghastly really but, yes, it does make great toast.

Most of the time traditionally made bread toasts just as nicely, whatever your favourite spread but one thing that I think needs  “plastic” bread is sesame prawn toasts - just about as much wrongness as you can put in one small item. Mass produced bread, deep fried and I’ll bet no-on in China ever ate one but irresistible.

You just made me snort my coffee :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh yuuuuuummmmmmm I love prawn toast!!! I’d forgotten about it, been years since I had it. None of the Chinese (I use the term loosley!) make it sadly!

1 Like

Easy to make at home…are your children old enough to help with a prawn toast conveyor belt? Blitz prawns and egg white with some soy, ginger & garlic. Oil some stale bread and spread mush on it. Brush with egg yolk and cover with sesame seeds. Then fry delicately, cut into triangles and eat.

1 Like

Yep the 2 still at home are 14 and 6! They do sound easy, I vaguely remember making them years ago!

anybody ever seen Gentleman’s Relish here.?

Here it is in its natural habitat. It used to come in big china pots, very convenient for putting fly-tying stuff afterwards. I think I got that pot in Eurasie, but there are various exotic shops and even market stalls catering for les britanniques etc that have it. It will be more complicated for them now I expect :pensive:

I was sure I had some, and I do. Unopened even, but perhaps not. Might be pushing it even for me!

Pleased to see the jar of Food of the God’s on Rhs of pic’

1 Like

OMG…Best before date 2010…what a waste of a rare ( for here) product !

It’s so salty that I might give it a try…I’m sure people ate things they found in ancient roman amphora and survived.

If not I’ve found a recipe:

1 Like

I don’t think it will do you any harm, the worst that can happen is it won’t taste of anything but I bet it’ll be fine. They only have to put a date on to keep on the right side of the rules anyway.

I love having a savoury. In fact I think I’d rather eat a whole meal of lots of little savoury bits and pieces than entrée-plat-fromage-dessert - this may be atavism, the Viêt side of my ancestry coming out.

just clicked into SF to see this juxtaposed against this topic

gobsmacked

1 Like

Awful ad hopefully @james can block it in his ad’ account.

There are some extremely inappropriate adverts appear

I generally pay little attention to BB dates and use my nose…and I’m still alive.

2 Likes

I’ll second that approach! I started realising how daft some of it was when I saw BB dates on honey…

3 Likes

Re will you profit from Brexit

Ughughurrrgh the sight of that ghastly shameless begoitred frog-faced snout-in-trough rip-off-merchant and utter loathsome creep makes me feel sick. Repulsive carpet-bagging creature.

2 Likes