Where to from France

Some interesting ideas, but one huge factor for us is whether our UK pensions would continue to be indexed linked.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/state-pensions-annual-increases-if-you-live-abroad/countries-where-we-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension

Same as @JaneJones - fascinating though it is. For me, it is their treatment of women - and yes I know it’s worse elsewhere.

1 Like

I had wondered about mentioning India, Goa specifically. It has a more European feel culturally, less extremes of poverty, better education and less repression. The weather doesn’t do any harm either. Possibly the biggest weakness for a tourist is that it may not be Indian enough, though that would do no harm for a resident.

Always thought it would be Italy (third language) but otherhalf and kids are Keen on Québec, know people who have gone there, why not
 :thinking:

I’m staying in France, but now considering a move to Ploermel

3 Likes

@Geof_Cox - Have you a sulky for the hippodrome?

Aragon, Spain. Foothills of the Pyrenees. Interesting weather, usually better than over on the French side.

Hahahahaha

I loved working in India (and in Pakistan) but if I were to live outside France I think I might fancy Malaysia or a return to the land of some of my ancestors ie Vietnam/S. China.

As Dick Emery used to say “Ooooh you are awful, but l like you” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We are seriously considering Denmark it seems to be a little more laid back than France and a little cooler.

@M.Apples Denmark is lovely but not as laid-back as you might think. Nice language though.

Sicily: it has everything.

Have you considered Llivia? You can move to Spain without leaving France :grin:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be comfortable, always worrying about whether the place would vote for a Catalanexit from Spain !

1 Like

I’d agree with Vero - the Danes aren’t all hygge and saunas, and can be a little uncomy at times.

And the French are not
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

In defence of the many Danes I’ve known, both through business and as friends

The best thing is their ability to speak English
 'cos I was never going to learn Danish
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

The first time I went to Quebec, I drove up from Boston along superb highways through Vermont’s beautiful green forests, but as soon as we crossed into Quebec, it was like entering what used to be known as the ‘Third World’ (current term might be ‘the Global South’) The forests had been cleared and the farms consisted of hillbilly shacks behind lines of dried out maize and rusty old US cars - I’d never before seen anything like it in N America

I remember another time in the late Eighties, when I was in Toronto and people in Quebec were campaigning for preservation of their Francophone language rights whilst wanting to build a golf course at Oka on a Canadian first nation burial ground!

Canadians have been so tolerant of the Quebecers that thousands of kilometres away in Vancouver tinned goods are (as far as I know) still labelled in English and French, even though there’s far more Chinese in BC than Quebecers.

I love lots of bits of Canada, but it’s not France

@an_droo Don’t listen to them! You’re far better off here.

If all else fails, tell OH and offspring that Quebec’s the most uncool province in Canada - that should do the trick!

4 Likes

Fair point well made. :wink:

I’ve been to Denmark a number of times for work, but a few years back decided to take Best Beloved so she could see Cobenhavn herself. We had a weird experience multiple times where, walking through crowded areas, people would almost walk into us, sometimes actually bumping us. Then we noticed that they did it to each other too in the crowds. There was one place where, walking along a wide path, there were 4 people all abreast of each other coming towards us - we moved into single file and they STILL stayed in a line across the path, almost walking into me as the one in front. Strange, strange behaviour.

Not to say I haven’t got along with the Danes I’ve worked with, but I’d also venture the French people I’ve dealt with for both work and life have generally been friendlier and more helpful. Now if you mentioned Sweden that would be different. :smiley: