Where to from France

Aïe aïe, if that’s the best thing about them!
Danish isn’t that hard :slightly_smiling_face: you could do it no problem!

2 Likes

Given how many British in France talk longingly of bacon I would have thought that would be a major draw of Denmark, way above hygge and saunas.

3 Likes

and lurpak

1 Like

I was joking… the Danes I worked with, were lovely folk… and many became firm friends.
Those friends are still in touch, even after all these years… but, always in English :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I should also add that the Danish companies that I dealt with… they impressed me with their honesty and their welfare culture… :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve never been sure if I’d stay in france if my husband left for any reason. I’d go back to the Uk for practical reasons I suppose though with trepidation Further north than I’m from though

But Vienna would be high on my list. Great quality of life and east reach to mountains and lakes Also an amazing city for bicycles. Lastly I have an offspring living there, so nice to be an annoying parent!

3 Likes

what’s uncomy?

EDIT I thought it was the opposite of hygge.

It’s a typo and not a clever Danish word. :stuck_out_tongue:

It needs an F. You can make your own jokes as required. :wink:

1 Like

Breaking News

So no holiday travel via Montpellier airport for the time being
:luggage::closed_umbrella:

Oops.

oh well, best unpack my suitcase…

We were in Newfoundland in August, anything and everything in supermarkets/grocery stores that is processed or packaged in some way seemed to have both English and French. My understanding was that it was a federal requirement, and not just a provincial one (Canadian Consumer Packaging & Labeling Act).

2 Likes

Newfoundland (hm hm Terre-Neuve) is right next to a bit of France though :slightly_smiling_face:

Il y a petite île, et très petite île tout de même :rofl: :rofl:

Ironically, quite a few Miquelonnais come to Newfoundland for any number of reasons (Christmas, sales shopping, visit relatives, weddings, funerals, etc). My step daughter’s FIL lives in Miquelon, and she’s married to his son living in Saint John’s NL.

1 Like

Love France, but Ireland would be my choice. France reminds me of Ireland with more sun. Food is lovely in both. I live in London which I got to enjoy but it’s too busy :joy:

2 Likes

I agree, the only other language I speak (well did, been over 25 years). My year in Denmark was probably the best full year if my life :heart:

1 Like

Might want to think again after these elections…

2 Likes

According to some I already live in a country with a far right government, and at present she’s making promises of increased social care and welfare.

TBH if MLP had won in France I doubt it would have made a difference to whether we bought here or not, and I suspect you would not have sold up and left. Governments come and go. I would be more concerned if Berlusconi had won again.

2 Likes

We did seriously think about what we would do, and might well have left. The scars run deep from my mother fleeing from Germany.

2 Likes

That’s entirely fair.

My expectation would be that if a fascist style force (or communist - both are about taking power from the people, just with different excuses) were to arise again in Europe I would expect it to do it differently from last time. At least, while there are still enough alive that carry memories of how things were.

Well Marine Le Pen’s manifesto was quite clear that she didn’t want any foreigners here.

2 Likes