Which path to take?

If you’re seeking French citizenship allow yourself five years ;within three you’ll know if it’s not going to be accepted.I have been living and working in France for thirty years,I also have a son who is French and that is the time it will have taken me.I suspect it will not get easier as more and more people request citizenship.It is also only an option for fluent French speakers as ,not only do, you need to furnish a lot of paperwork you will,also,have an interview in French.Until twelve or so years ago I functioned with a ‘carte de sejours’ and was able to live and work without any problems,and I think it is easier to get.I decided to ask for citizenship because of the probability,at the time of Brexit and the increasingly strong Right Wing and I’m tired of not being able to vote in general elections.Good luck !!

2 Likes

I take on board everything that you say Lorna and appreciate the advice. I have now learnt from fellow contributors that not only is it not a formality (which I had never assumed that it was) but that it can be a long and arduous process and should therefore not be entered into unless committed and confident.

I remain confused on one small point - I had previously been informed that there was no language requirement for people over 60 which never made much sense to me because if you wish to be French then surely you need to speak the language whatever your age. I am now inclined to think that this concession applies to some other status such as CdS or TdS?

As far as I’m aware the requirement to speak French to a particular level is no longer required above a certain age, 60 or 65?
There is no requirement to speak French to obtain a CdS.

1 Like

That’s right, David, but as Lorna pointed out, although there is no requirement for a certificate proving your level of French you’ll still need to get through the whole process in French, especially the 1,5 hour interview where your knowledge of France, its institutions and history is questionned !

Yes Damian, the average time seems to be around 2 years for naturalisation but often more. I’m a year in, everything’s been done; dossier, interview, visit from the gendarmes, now I’m just waiting to hear…

2 Likes

I would hope that anyone applying would fulfil those requirements anyway.

1 Like

Well good luck Andrew…………strangely enough I was pretty much ‘grilled’ by the Gendarmes some years ago relating to a traffic infraction (not wearing a seatbelt) I committed whilst living in the Languedoc in 2008. I pointed out at the time that I considered their enquiries rather intrusive given the petty nature of the crime but they said that it was necessary and that one day it could prove to my benefit. Who knows?

1 Like

It’s not considered petty, driving without a seatbelt carries a large fine and, I believe, four points.

1 Like

I am about a year into the application for naturalisation and recently received an email saying I should get a decision within 6 months. I have had the interviews with the police, prefecture etc and although I am far from fluent was told that they were satisfied with my ability to communicate in french. This does not necessarily mean I will be successful but as far as the language is concerned do not let the lack of total fluency put you off.
The biggest drawback is the cost of certified translations for all the documents required, which make it much more expensive than a CdS.

1 Like

Two things………by petty I meant of course that I considered it rather over the top that they would trace me from the Languedoc to Brittany to complete the paper work for a driving offence when there are far greater crimes to process.

As far as the process of naturalization is concerned thank you Malcolm for your thoughts. I am sure that my French would be sufficiently up to standard to convey comprehension and comment. The cost is an angle I had not considered in depth and although I imagine the total could mount up fairly readily it would be a sacrifice for a greater reward.

1 Like

It was you who used the word petty. The law considers it otherwise.

I did expand upon my choice of words David and am sorry for any confusion. I had not realised that it was so hard to understand.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t understand what you are going on about.

David, with all due respect, and I do have a lot of respect for you, isn’t that a bit over the top? You are invoking an emotional response, and all the stress that goes along with doing such, based on a very few actual facts. In point of fact, you’ve not got enough to go on and yet you have already reached boiling point.

I often go a few steps ahead of where I should be, in my reasoning process, but I am aware and don’t make a shining shield emblazoned with dragonslayer on it. Do consider slightly milder weapons.

2 Likes

Sounds like the doctoral thesis committee when one has to meet with them to defend it. More power to you, I say. There aren’t enough doctoral candidates. Besides, the study and prep for it might be a great process in its own right.

1 Like

Taking on another nationality is a huge step and my reply was a reaction to the implication that it was OK, the OP wouldn’t be changing anything they’d still be British. As Andrew also picked up that attitude would be like hitting a brick wall, your application would be rejected straight away. It’s not just a paperwork exercise like the CdS you have to convince the French authorities that you want to take on French citizenship lock, stock and barrel. If the OP had started off with a post more like a focussed version of the sixth post in this thread my reaction would have been different but the fact is I responded to what he had written at the start. Sometimes the truth hurts.

2 Likes

As David has said, it’s only to be expected when you’re asking to be granted nationality. Although stressed, I enjoyed the interview once we got into it. I know the marseillaise by heart can name pretty much all the départements and régions and what they’re responsable for, gave a potted history of France from the Romans to the present day with dates and impact. Language not a problem as we’re a francophone family/French is my everyday language. It really is a very big step. There was an English family at the booth next to me, interviewed one after the other, and they came unstuck left right and centre, it was like the spanish inquisition! If you’re not up to speed with France and everything French then preparation is an absolute must and although the over 60s don’t have to prove thair language level/sit an exam/provide a certificate, the entire process and interview are in French (obviously!) so you still need to be pretty fluent!
Like some others here, I don’t need the nationality to live here, even after a hard Brexit (over 10 years living and working + father of French kids (by birth) etc.), it’s something I want and that desire needs to be demonstrated and backed-up :wink:

4 Likes

Hi I have done both. I applied for Nationality last August and am still waiting to hear. I appled for a CdS for myself and my husband a few weeks ago. It depends where you live as to the reception you will receive at the Prefecture. I live in 32 and the officein Auch is splendid. We arrived early in the monring and were back home by 10.00 am with the temporary one in hand and we are an hour away. Others have had it rejected and have difficulty in getting appointments. However you have to do something and the sooner the better. National Government advise Brits to get the CdS. If you go onto the Connexion website you will find a lot of useful information regarding neceswsary documents you need to take with you. All in English. For nationality if you are over 60 dyou do need to take a language test under that then it’s obligatory.

1 Like

As for French citizenship take heed of this article:

I am also a year into my application for citizenship(interview end of June)and have been told by Email I will receive a decision in 6 months (at the interview I was told within 4 months if not successful)
I would definately try for citizenship ,although like Lavinia I also applied for a Titre De Sejour in March this year and received it in June(although I managed to find the number of a long lost and out of date, one on my former house documents which probably helped)Its such a hassle getting all the docs together in the time frame,better to kill 2 birds with one stone,although interestingly you need to go back 5 years for the TDS and only 3 for citizenship,
My interviewer was very approachable ,put me very much at my ease(which may have given me a false sense of security),I have the impression I talked a lot about my life here,whether it was what she wanted to hear,time will tell and if memory serves me right I was asked basic questions from the Livret De Citoyen ,ie all the présidents after CDG,all the depts in my region,the meanings of Liberté,Egalité,Fraternité and Laicité;,the important dates for France throughout history;,so it didn’t in my case feel like the Spanish inquisition ,(didn’t stop me from completely going completely blank at a couple of things though, )
I said that I wanted to have the same Nationality as my sons and that I would be proud to be French ,so we will see if that overides a couple of negative points on my application
I am glad I applied as I had been meaning to for a long time;Brexit just gave me a push to get on with it !!

I

3 Likes

I can’t help wondering if the process, should one fail the first time, allows for re-attempts and how soon afterward can one re-apply…?