White vinegar for weeds

I have been busy with the white vinegar in the garden this morning, I don’t want to use chemicals if at all possible for the sake of the bees and other beneficial critters.
Does anyone else use vinegar alone or add salt as I have also read about, The weeds are already wilting in the sunshine, but does it kill the roots?

We’ve added salt too in the past. Some weeds are more resilient though and make a comeback.
Perhaps someone on here has a better recipe.

I tend to use CH3COOH and NaCl myself. :slight_smile:

Sorry David but what are they ?:smiley:

Vinegar and salt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds a bit chemically to me - you’ll be advocating use of dihydrogen monoxide in the garden next!!

1 Like

Keep a bit for yer chips Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

Well if I’d have been any good at chemistry and such I should have know that :roll_eyes:
:smile:

Salt will contaminate the soil and make it diffiult for anything else to grow… I salted a driveway once and after it rained the plants in the adjacent beds died from salt run off

2 Likes

My friend has just bought some land with a river running at the bottom of it. She has cut down the enormous bamboo adjacent to the river but it’s starting to grow again.

Any ideas for killing it? She doesn’t want to use salt or any chemicals for fear of polluting the river.

Be interested in any advice Mandy, a neighbour has the same prob’, I inherited it in Portugal, a nightmare!

Noooo, that stuff is lethal, kills many people every year.

1 Like

I’ve a feeling that with bamboo… it is not just a question of cutting it down… but removing the roots… rhizomes or whatever they are…

this could well be a difficult and long-term thing… :zipper_mouth_face::persevere:

Yes, getting the rhizomes out is the answer…hard work though…

Definitely digging out as much of the bamboo as possible from as deep as possible, our friend found that the more she chopped the more shoots it sent up, her bamboo problem was coming from a neighbouring property ,a bit like japanese knotweed in my opinion

Bamboo can be a real pest. In a way, she may need to make an impenetrable perimeter (underground) between her neighbour and her own garden… to stop the roots running…

what does the neighbour think about it all… perhaps the neighbour is unaware of the problem… or, even better, might be persuaded to get rid of her offending bamboo too… :smile::wink:

Unfortunately it is a tenanted property the bamboo is coming from and landlord is not bothered… a barrier would be best way but the bamboo comes up in her border and roses , maybe a regular painting with gel weedkiller or even injecting roundup so as not to ruin her plants, but may knock it back a bit :wink:
I know someone who controls a neighbours patch of knotweed in the same way . He does it when it is dark :laughing:
For some reason France is way behind in the control of JKW, the river banks in Aubusson and Limoges are smothered in it.

Shouldn’t use round-up or similar anywhere near a watercourse. You could do great harm to the fish etc. It’s one of the reasons why JKW is so hard to control along watercourses.

Hammer a 50cm depth sheet of corrugated iron as a root barrier. And then chop and chop and chop anything your side of the barrier and it will eventually weaken.

It took us 2-3 years to get rid of a bamboo that previous owners had planted but eventually it went…

1 Like

get a panda

Not sure that’s terribly practical :grin::panda_face:

The neighbours have a couple of goats though :goat::goat: